dsfox

BIG BEAR OPENER CAMP & RIDE

Guest Crusty

I would love to go... However I will be in 29 Palms... Living the good life...

I spent 6 months there building military homes.

I feel for you Bro, I made it, and so will you, to ride another daycoolio.gif

1365728061[/url]' post='149338']

I would love to go... However I will be in 29 Palms... Living the good life...

Say hi to my kid, 0861, he's been there for a couple weeks and heading back to Pendleton soon says the off reading is good and weather has been mild.

Anybody planning on riding any of the trails used for the Big Bear Run? Or have .gpx files of the tracks used in the past?

Edit: Found the gps tracks on dual sport maps for the 2010 and 2012 Big Bear Run - both easy and hard routes.

Anybody want to carpool? I'm leaving from El Cajon around 9-10am. Toyota Tundra can accommodate another bike if your bringing your own tent or I'd be up to splitting a motel room and meeting back at the campsites for the rides. Either way I'll be there.

Anybody want to carpool? I'm leaving from El Cajon around 9-10am. Toyota Tundra can accommodate another bike if your bringing your own tent or I'd be up to splitting a motel room and meeting back at the campsites for the rides. Either way I'll be there.

I'll be leaving Coronado by 10-11, and won't be too far behind you. I'm bringing camping gear, but could easily be talked into moteling it. I'll be in a white Tacoma with a KTM 350 XCF-W. Anyway - see you up there.

Ok...just finished loading, packing.....Highway 38 fully open...I plan to leave san diego between 10-11, and should be at camp by 2 pm or so, .if you guys get there earlier, and plan to camp, please save a few yellow post sites......technically they are limited to 2 vehicles each...so we will need several based on the responses.....for the later additions to the trip, if you email me your real email address before 9 am , I can send you the tracks I have and a map..... sdoutdoorgirl07@yahoo.com.......my cell no. is in members only section, always good to have.

EVERYONEPLEASE BRING FIREWOOD....Nights will be in the 30's....

Dayriders, please meet us by 9:00 or so, we want to head out by 930.....probably break into small groups based on riding speed and style....Tree can lead the fast group.... :coolio:/>

FROM the point on bagstr's map, take that right.....continue on that road, which turns to dirt.......at the FORK stay to the LEFT....Toward "Coon Creek".....the yellow posts (about 18 of them) are along that road, we'll take the closest ones we can grab.......I have an ALINER trailer, as does Steve, so easy to spot those....the rest are tenting, I think...we will likely be the only motorcycles up there.....See you There...

thanks for the info.

john and I will be leaving ramona at 7am and riding up dirt to bigbear, tenting for two nights. no idea what time we will get there but it should be a fun trip, see ya all in the mountains!

I should be on the road after lunch and be in camp for sunset. Looking forward to being back on the scooter after two months. If your on the fence and have never rode Big Bear than get off ya duff and come ride, it really is the best riding in So Cal, and bears only seem to like Johnny Bags tent. Cheers

Kato and I won't make it. I found the ejection button on my bike and I forgot to pack my parachute. Kato might need a welder.

Kato and I won't make it. I found the ejection button on my bike and I forgot to pack my parachute. Kato might need a welder.

Heal up mang, sounded like youll need a few days.

Ddfox, I'm not gonna make it up. My riding buddy's for the ride back wont be there. I'm gonna do a cruise up Santiago.

you guys let me know if you need anything.

details absolutely needed

details absolutely needed

We re all safe, very lucky.

In a nutshell a sneaky turn caught john off guard going 40mph on our way to idylwild, we were just past anza and he was in the lead. He litterally flew: his bike flipped 30+ feet from where he went airborne and he was another 30 feet past the bike, knocked out for a minute. Luckily he landed in fairly soft dirt and bushes. He took a very hard spill.

I was about a second behind him at same speed, locked my rear brake when i saw john go off and skidded for a good 5 seconds on my side looking at my bike skidding buckwild in front of me. It indented the concrete quite a bit.. ran to john as soon as i stopped sliding and couldnt beleive he "looked" ok, turned off the bikes a minute later. Wow.

We took a couple hours off calming ourselves down and trying to fix my peg bracket and got back on trail, but it quickly became evident that john had hit his head hard and needed rest, and my peg needed more than quicksteel, we decided that 3 days in bigbear was a scratch and slabbed home.

But hey, to refer to bags post we packed right! Bikes flew up down sideways everywhich way, john's GiantLoop setup lived up to the hype, and not even one my shoes flew out! My tent poles got grinded down though aha

damn... hope you guys are all right

and... kato... if there is ONE thing I've tried to teach everybody....

ok; not ONE thing :coolio:

ascertain the immediate health of those involved

get out of the way of others if necessary and possible

and last but not least

PICTURES

John- if you were truly unconscious for a full minute, see a Dr... head trauma is not a joke, even to me... get yourself checked out :friends:

John- if you were truly unconscious for a full minute, see a Dr... head trauma is not a joke, even to me... get yourself checked out :friends:/>/>/>/>

When i ran to him my bike had not finished its skidding yet (and my buttcheek was burning up) and he was talking non sense but conscious so if he was out he was for a few seconds, definitely much less than a minute. Still...

I did do 2 mistakes though bob: 1 i was one second too close to him. 2 i locked my rear brake (which could have been ok but it happen right as i was entering the curve)

luckily all was ok but we could have both been hurt instead of "only" one. Having said that, i hardly can picture myself looking at a buddy and his bike fly in the air while keeping calm, not touching the brake, go around the curve at 40, stop, turn around and go for help...

BUT, If 1 didnt happen then most likely 2 wouldnt have happened either. So 1 was the factor

This curve seemed notorious, people stopped and told us many have gone off at this precise location. There was also a cross and flowers on side of the road.

Pic? Ok:

PHOTO_20130503_103536_zps7d749f56.jpg

John's camelpack exploded so when our minds got clearer we headed back to a store in anza for water and next to door was this:

PHOTO_20130503_141359_zps639893d9.jpg

John's camelpack exploded so when our minds got clearer we headed back to a store in anza for water and next to door was this:

PHOTO_20130503_141359_zps639893d9.jpg

I have the same quote on my garage wall... my mom bought it for me a few years back; after delivering me to the ER a couple of times a year for my first 16 years, I thought it was pretty special for her to give up and embrace who I am...

beaten up, scarred up, with aches and pains all over from 50 years of being thoroughly used up

beaten up, scarred up, with aches and pains all over from 50 years of being thoroughly used up

Reading this as i am having an aperitif, so cheers to 50 more!!

When i ran to him my bike had not finished its skidding yet (and my buttcheek was burning up) and he was talking non sense but conscious so if he was out he was for a few seconds, definitely much less than a minute. Still...

I did do 2 mistakes though bob: 1 i was one second too close to him. 2 i locked my rear brake (which could have been ok but it happen right as i was entering the curve)

luckily all was ok but we could have both been hurt instead of "only" one. Having said that, i hardly can picture myself looking at a buddy and his bike fly in the air while keeping calm, not touching the brake, go around the curve at 40, stop, turn around and go for help...

BUT, If 1 didnt happen then most likely 2 wouldnt have happened either. So 1 was the factor

This curve seemed notorious, people stopped and told us many have gone off at this precise location. There was also a cross and flowers on side of the road.

Pic? Ok:

Whats the name of the road? So everyone can be careful. And what curve was it?

Pic? Ok:

Whats the name of the road? So everyone can be careful. And what curve was it?

See this rides write-up