dsfox

BIG BEAR OPENER CAMP & RIDE

HEADING TO BIG BEAR...

With the desert warming up, it's time to hit the mountains for some spring riding....gates SHOULD be all open on the south side by then...and if not plenty of other riding options up there....

POST UP or shoot me a PM if you want to join us.....maps and a variety of tracks available to those interested...

Pending weather and gate reports.....Current plan is to head up

FRIDAY May 3 RETURN Monday May 6

CAMP: yellow post sites along 1N02

(coon cabin road) East of Heart Bar campgound... ( free sites in the forest, dry camping with fire pit ..first come first serve.......)

Heartbar campground doesn't open for the season until May 17, so thats not an option...

not sure about the other campgrounds In Big bear Area with more facilities, check RECREATIONlgov

Those wanting accomodations with MORE amenities could stay in town somewhere and just meet us to ride....

RIDE: SATURDAY AND SUNDAY.

I will be in on this, looking forward to getting back on the bike and riding in one of favorite places.

I would love to go... However I will be in 29 Palms... Living the good life...

I would certainly like to make it at least for one of the days. :party:

I would love to go... However I will be in 29 Palms... Living the good life...

well, it's better than 29 Palms in August :torch:/>... many more big bear rides to come soon..

Pencil me in for a Saturday ride, pls Deb- probably truck up early, ride, crash, puke, then truck back home at night

If anybody wants to join (puking optional) send me a PM

Might be interested in this ride. DSfox, I tried to send you a PM but it wouldnt let me. Whats the elevation like up there, i've never rode up there but courious about how high it is so I can set up my carb. Are you guys camping out in tents and is there place for parking and everything? Let me know, I think it would be a fun trip, I would have to come home on Sunday though. Thanks.

Eric

Might be interested in this ride. DSfox, I tried to send you a PM but it wouldnt let me. Whats the elevation like up there, i've never rode up there but courious about how high it is so I can set up my carb. Are you guys camping out in tents and is there place for parking and everything? Let me know, I think it would be a fun trip, I would have to come home on Sunday though. Thanks.

Eric

hey eric, I didn't realize my inbox was full...i cleaned it out a bit......

Elevation: between 6000-8000 where we camp.....will ride to slightly higher....it is cold at night still at those elevations...so warm gear to sleep is a must..

some will camp in tents, others in trailers......there is a limit to 2 vehicles per yellow post site, so depending who gets up there first, they can save a few for the group.....but we will want a good head count in order to save them....all 1st come, 1st served.....I HOPE work will allow me to take friday off, and I can arrive up there by early afternoon, but I'll definitely be there by mid afternoon either way...capncham usually arrives on the early side too.......let us know....thanks

On the fence. Got a few conflicts to work out but thinking about dragging the trailer to Barton Flats and then riding over Saturday morning to meet up. What time does the group usually take off in the morning?

Count me in! Thanks for the info, looking forward to the ride. Still trying to line out the carb just seems like its not hitting on all 1 cylinders lol. I will keep an eye on this though. Hey does anyone know if this forum uses the meetup app? I went on a ride for the ride for kids up near Glen Helan Raceway Park and it was all through Meetup. You can post your pics, find out whos going and everything. Its a pretty neat app. Anyways looking forward to the ride see you guys then.

I will try to make it for at least one night, probably just bring the tent to make things easier.

If you plan to camp and haven't committed, please send a PM , so we can plan how many spots we need.....those there earliest can do their best to save some spaces.......(probably steve and/or myself)...

DAY RIDERS:....please arrive at camp before 9, We will ROLL at 9:30 am saturday and Sunday.....That should be late enough for day riders to make it up there and get ready....

I'll send tracks and maps to those i have email for....

cheers, deb

If work allows I'm thinking about riding up on friday. Anybody have advice on getting from idlewild to coon cabin on dirt?

Friday morning Kato and I will be riding the dirt up from the san diego area. Camping friday, saturday, and heading home sunday morning. Anybody want to join? :party:

Fun area to ride, all gates are open to my knowledge....

Big Bear local here, will keep the dates open, what kind of riding ya up for? Big bike or other?

I've rode the San Bernardino mtns for years on a xr400 with no special jetting/carb with no issues. Clean the airfilter really good and you're golden! (I accidently forgot to clean a K&N last yr on the Big Bear hardway run...that sucked and I don't want to talk about it, since replaced w/ UNI). Elevations (rideable) top out around 9100 Onyx Peak. You can get up to just a bit under 10,000 ft, but gasp that is a hiking trail, badass bikers not allowed :blink:

NEWS: Plans stand at camping at yellow posts on 1n02, east of Heart Bar.....I'll confirm final plan on Thursday night......REASON:

We need to watch the updates on Hwy 38, which was closed from saturday to monday night due to a tanker crash, HUGE fual spill and clean up.......it did RE-OPEN last night....

As long as it remains open, our camp spot stays as is.....

IF for some reason that road is closed again later this week and/or for next weekend........we should chat and may camp on the north side, perhaps holcolm valley, as going all the way around the 330 and back down the 38 would be a pain....

Hopefully all stays as planned....but watch for news on 38, just north of Angeles Oaks, where problem occured....sounds as though they have it under control for now....

I'm in. Should be able to make it up there before dark on Friday, but will depend on my work. I haven't been up there before - could you post up a shot of the camp spot from google maps?

I'm in. Should be able to make it up there before dark on Friday, but will depend on my work. I haven't been up there before - could you post up a shot of the camp spot from google maps?

That would be cool. I'd like to see the location also...Please.....

My baja trip was cancelled so I'm seriously considering this trip. It's been too long since I've been to big bear. Shoot last time I was there I still had my kx500 so it must have been 2001-2002 time frame.