Slaugo

Nate Harrison Palomar breakin ride

I HIGHLY recommend the Ricor front fork kit - single biggest change made to the bike - the Ricor rear shock (I bought one) is not worth it IMHO.

I tried different exhausts and the best working ( and lightest) is the 2000-2002 Gsxr 1000 (40F0) can modded to fit. Add that to the simple washer under the needle and you are good to go. Another cheaper option is to gut the converter out of the stock exhaust.

Well I may have quick access to a full set of DRZSM triples and forks and the front tire supposedly hooks right up to the speedo. And the Progressive rear shock looks good if the Stock DRZSM rear doesnt fit. Bit I'm still looking to see how easy it will all go together.

Exhaust I'm just looking for a simple slipon until the warranty expires.To shed some weight. I have the Main and simple washer setup on my DRZ and it works well.

Tires are one of the next big changes. Have any info or feedback on the MEFO's?

Great Bike. I too hold a place in my heart for the KLR. Look into a exhaust systems for that Black Beast. Congrats!

M~

Great Bike. I too hold a place in my heart for the KLR. Look into a exhaust systems for that Black Beast. Congrats!

M~

Thanks, here's a new update.

So after two months on the KLR I've made a few changes/Farkles.

Added Precision Concepts rear luggage racks for the soft luggage Ken helped me with. Thanks again ken.

post-15232-092210200 1371409242_thumb.jp

post-15232-049609200 1371409366_thumb.jp

Added BikeVis led visibility lights to the front fairing. Thanks Ken.

post-15232-012715400 1371409296_thumb.jp

Added Happy Trails Upper engine guard with foot pegs. Great riding position on long slabs. Happy Trails Shroud/side nerf guards. Thanks Wife.

post-15232-039488100 1371409339_thumb.jp

Moose Tool bag for front or rear fender or rack. Thanks Wife.

12V lighter to recharge the IPhone and accessories. Thanks Me.

post-15232-072688700 1371409440_thumb.jp

Low Profile/magnetic oil plug. Thanks Warren. No Pic.

Eagle Mikes Raising Links. Thanks Mike. No Pic

Stomp grip pads to the tank for maximum gription and scratch retardant. Thanks Me. In pix

Happy Trails Skid Plate on back order part of the Nerf/Peg deal. Thanks Me.

Zero Gravity double bubble wind screen. Awesome product. Thanks Me.

post-15232-074320700 1371409506_thumb.jp

License plate relocation/lower rear fender removal/ License plate LED light. Thanks Me.

post-15232-079335100 1371409917_thumb.jp

"It aint easy being me" License plate frame from the Del Mar Fair….thanks Wife.

Rear wheel Rim lock and heavy duty tuff tube. Thanks me.

Adjusted the rear pre-load max and rebound max and with the raising links works fine for now. Big improvement. I lost gription on the street with the raising links and Shinko tire profile compound but gained speed in the dirt. While changing the new tires I found both rim/wheel sets to be extremely heavy. With the raising links and the new Shinko's the kickstand now works appropriately. Thanks Eagle Mike and ME.

After one trip to Glamis and one to ABSDP/Ocotillo Wells the new tires are wearing well. No balancing when I mounted them. Although Im looking at the rear wheel hard to see what happens.

post-15232-091432900 1371409692_thumb.jp

Three Oil/filter and two air filter changes/cleanings. Thanks Me.

Need some sort of front susp change to hit rougher terrain. But flat terrain type stuff is eaten up.

Really can't wait for the skid plate to get here. Hit the stock too many times for comfort. And cracked it in one spot. Frame took one good hit on Kernin while chasing down an unnamed rider.

post-15232-096955500 1371409852_thumb.jp

New tires and raising links rear susp adjustment make it easier to wheelie. Don't know why.

post-15232-029740400 1371409773_thumb.jp

Gonna do the Therma Bob, Timing advance, Doohickey mod. Looking for a pipe, susp products and Airfilter. Might do the lower fender mod too. If anybody has any info on the lower fender mod please let me know. I'm looking at EM's fork brace.

Bike is real heavy and suspension is under par, but with the throttle control I'm getting 57 street and as low as 42 in the sand/dirt. But a 250 mile range is easy. And the bike does 70 all day long with no issues. Doesn't like over 80 and fewer than twenty, but loves in-between.

The black Diamond is looking and running pretty good these days. Cant wait for the timing advance/valve adjustment.

post-15232-081117600 1371409406_thumb.jp

Added a LEXX slip-on $179 online to my door. Installation was seamless and it sparks the motor up more than I thought. Shaves a few pounds also. Also added the Eagle Mikes front fork brace and was surprise it made such a huge impact.

post-15232-006468200 1374180525_thumb.jp

Same here Matt, loved my gen1. Fun farkling on these things. When i sold mine, the new owner (who came to check it out on a farkled gen2!) asked for the list of mods ahah. And it was so long i couldnt remember it all so the plan was to write it down over a couple days and email it. Fun stuff

Slaugo, if not already done raising the carb needle a bit goes along well with the slipon, the $.22 mod they call it. Sure EM told you about it. Also the exaust timing advance mod thing had some impact on my butt dyno, but as with most other klr mods (with an exception for the big bore/lighter pistons kits) it was probably mostly mental dyno. Its all fun dyno tho.

Anyway to the point of my post, about the forks/ brace, i remembered reading an interesting article for klr owners and found it again. Adjusting my steering made a great impact on handeling (there is a good article about it on klr650.net on how to get the steering right for the klr):

http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/FFT/fftjan12.html

Thanks for the info. Just over three months on the beast and coming up to 3700 miles so it's still on the learning curve for muscle memory.

Yeah I'm gonna do the carb, Do-Hickey, Timing advance and yada, yada yada in due time with EM's help. I'm still under factory warranty and will be for some time so only mods and farkles that don't hinder or harm anything that would impact the warranty.

Yeah fork flex is good to a point. But as you know I've been twisting the throttle on the road a bit and the fork brace plants the bike more so than it was. I haven't experienced any windy related steering issues nor loose head bearings. Just need the bike to be more predictable when hitting ruts and small bumps that were tending to throw the bike slideways and unpredictably so. I lowered the handlebars more towards me and that helped along with the fork brace. But re-springing and a new rear shock with a remote reservoir are in the plans to help pick up some more speed through the rough stuff.

I mean it's a 450 pound pig with 34 HP (maybe 36 hp now) and with me on it with gear we're topping 700 pounds. So it is what it is, and I can only hope to make it a little quicker in the rough stuff. Arnie said that the RIchor (Spell Check) front fork thingamabobs were the best bang for the buck on the front forks so I'll go that way.

Bike is way more stable at 70 in the dirt now but those multiple bumps and ruts in tandem and triple combinations are killing me. And while overriding the brakes I've had too many incidents where I've not brushed enough speed nor braked hard enough to handle the wicked directional changes that I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. EM said fork flex and I hooked me up, and the five minute install got me feeling good. Of course this is after I added is raising links which helped the rear out tremendously but seemed to magnify the weakness of the stock front end especially on the last trip to Mexico where Dana's on his Kmt was leaving me like I was standing still. I felt like I was braking more than twisting the throttle.

But, I knew it was gonna be an adventure bike and not a CRF or a DRZ. So I knew I was gonna (Let's say go at a more leisurely pace) ride more conservatively. You know take in all the scenery I've been missing. LOL

I'm working on modifying a front lower and upper (Attached to the fairing) fenders. I got rid of that stock front fender per EM and the Zero Gravity Double bouble made the buffet go away.LOL

But for the price I got it for and the reliability (Fingers Crossed) of the motor I'm having a blast riding this pig. Now if I can just farkle it to Fly.

Couple of articles on fork braces.

http://klr650reviews...for-the-klr650/

http://crfsonly.com/...230f-review.php

post-15232-094187800 1374202236_thumb.jp

Eagle Mikes Fork Brace

post-15232-008060800 1374202371_thumb.jp

Accerbis front fender

post-15232-030631900 1374202404_thumb.jp

Small lower front fender from a modification.

Busted the 5000 mile mark. 5 months and rolling.

Did the doohickey mod and advanced the timing, got a KLX needle kit but haven't installed it yet. Adjusted each valve with a new shim, added a Lexx slip-on pipe, change up the front fender and replaced the rear fender, led rear light and plate re located. three oil changes soon to be on the third set of tires. Love the Shinko 244 set. 606s next in week or so.

post-15232-074116600 1376890804_thumb.jp

post-15232-064744800 1376890834_thumb.jp

post-15232-082950700 1376890860_thumb.jp

post-15232-092309800 1376890893_thumb.jp

Good for you. Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike. I just put a Shinko 244 on my rear, haven't riddin it in the dirt yet. Desertrunner likes his so I figured I'd give it a try since my MT43 trials tire is shot.

Good for you. Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike. I just put a Shinko 244 on my rear, haven't riddin it in the dirt yet. Desertrunner likes his so I figured I'd give it a try since my MT43 trials tire is shot.

Thanks Charlie, you'll like the 244 for the price of a set delivered at $94 bucks you can't beat it u less u get them on that 69 dollar sale but I haven't seen It yet and don't know if the shipping is included like the $94 price. I have over 3k miles on the rear and its still good enough not to think about changing. That's the most Ive ever gotten from a dual sport rear. Course the pig doesn't spin the rear like other bikes.

Say hi to the wife and kids, Carmen says hey.

Quit flying all over the place and Lets get dusty or sandy sometime soon!

post-15232-029453000 1376966805_thumb.jp

If you would like to ride one that is fully built from front to back, you can borrow mine.

it even comes with the 705 kit. Then you can tell what you want to add or not. Just saying

If you would like to ride one that is fully built from front to back, you can borrow mine.

it even comes with the 705 kit. Then you can tell what you want to add or not. Just saying

Thanks, that's an enormously generous offer. How do I get to Poserville Kirk? Be nice to ride a farkle king KLR.

6 months on the KLR and 6500 miles and rolling, added some Pivit Pegz, Subframe bolt upgrade, Happy Trails 47 liter Canyon cut top box and Progressive front fork spring upgrade with 15 wt fork oil. just ordered two morw sets of Shinko 244's. finding some new places here in Texas to ride and having a great time meeting new peeps to ride with.

post-15232-052324700 1381714508_thumb.jp

post-15232-072203200 1381714509_thumb.jp

post-15232-009876200 1381714941_thumb.jp

So when are you coming back for a visit? I finally got my new headlight, but never got to do any desert night riding this past summer. Getting faster on the DRZ after 5600 miles in the 7 months I've had it, but I'm betting you can probably still kick my butt on the KLR. :blink:

Oh, and I just replaced my rear 244 after 3100 miles! It still had almost an 1/8" tread left too. In comparison, I got 1500 miles max out of the D606. It let go twice on the street though where the 244 hasn't and traction improvements in the dirt were very minimal. I flipped the IRC Battle Rally around with the same mileage and it still has 50-60% tread left. Good combination.

Scott, glad you're doing well brother. Thought of you today. Was in Walmart and saw a dude with a Desert Dash T-Shirt on, so I said hello. It was Mike (ADVBum) and remembered he gave us the Padre Tix. Small world! So is there a web site like SDAR you guys use there? Hugs to you and Carmen.

So when are you coming back for a visit? I finally got my new headlight, but never got to do any desert night riding this past summer. Getting faster on the DRZ after 5600 miles in the 7 months I've had it, but I'm betting you can probably still kick my butt on the KLR. :blink:/>

Oh, and I just replaced my rear 244 after 3100 miles! It still had almost an 1/8" tread left too. In comparison, I got 1500 miles max out of the D606. It let go twice on the street though where the 244 hasn't and traction improvements in the dirt were very minimal. I flipped the IRC Battle Rally around with the same mileage and it still has 50-60% tread left. Good combination.

Sup Nick, yeah i'm looking for a J.O.B. for gas money...lol You were riding the heck out of the DRZ on our last ride. But with the new front springs I can actually go fast on it now..lol

It tracks a lot better now.

I just got two new sets of the Shinko 244's cause the bang for the buck is mo better than the 606's. I love the 606's for dirt only over the Shinko but lots of slabbing here to get to the riding spots so I'm going with the 244's.

Hope to get out there for a OcWells run as soon as I get settled. I'll hit yous up.

I'd like to see the new light setup on your DRZ.

Ride it like you stole it, but be sade.

Scott, glad you're doing well brother. Thought of you today. Was in Walmart and saw a dude with a Desert Dash T-Shirt on, so I said hello. It was Mike (ADVBum) and remembered he gave us the Padre Tix. Small world! So is there a web site like SDAR you guys use there? Hugs to you and Carmen.

Thanks Charlie. Having fun checking out the area.

Ha,ha...Mike rocked us those tickets. Was my first time to the Padres new Murph...Had a great time..Thanks again ADVBum....

Hope to ride with you and Nick again.

I got my tire changer back. It's been from Texas to Cali to Utah back to Cali to east Texas and now back to Central Texas.

I really need it to help break that world class bead on the KLR and changing the tire is a breeze now.

Anyone have any mounting suggestions, I used to mount it to my joe hauler for desert trips and fast changes. If anyone has any quick mount/disconnect to concrete Idea's I'd like to see some pix or suggestions. I want it firmly mounted but not taking up permanent space when not in use. cheers.

post-15232-094340300 1381774543_thumb.jp

So when are you coming back for a visit? I finally got my new headlight, but never got to do any desert night riding this past summer. Getting faster on the DRZ after 5600 miles in the 7 months I've had it, but I'm betting you can probably still kick my butt on the KLR. :blink:/>/>/>

Sup Nick, yeah i'm looking for a J.O.B. for gas money...lol You were riding the heck out of the DRZ on our last ride. But with the new front springs I can actually go fast on it now..lol

It tracks a lot better now.

I just got two new sets of the Shinko 244's cause the bang for the buck is mo better than the 606's. I love the 606's for dirt only over the Shinko but lots of slabbing here to get to the riding spots so I'm going with the 244's.

Hope to get out there for a OcWells run as soon as I get settled. I'll hit yous up.

I'd like to see the new light setup on your DRZ.

Ride it like you stole it, but be sade.

Looking forward to it. Here's a link to a thread on my light:

Anyone have any mounting suggestions, I used to mount it to my joe hauler for desert trips and fast changes. If anyone has any quick mount/disconnect to concrete Idea's I'd like to see some pix or suggestions. I want it firmly mounted but not taking up permanent space when not in use. cheers.

I used drop in anchors in my garage. 2 bolts will hold it. My buddy stole my HF tire changer and he won't give it back. I heard you could mount it on a pallet on the internet somewhere. Works great. The bigger the pallet the better as you have to stand on it for it to work... and that's with big tires.

IMG01132_zps7b8e40aa.jpg

Looking forward to it. Here's a link to a thread on my light:

Saw the link Nick, great job. Night riding when ?

I used drop in anchors in my garage. 2 bolts will hold it. My buddy stole my HF tire changer and he won't give it back. I heard you could mount it on a pallet on the internet somewhere. Works great. The bigger the pallet the better as you have to stand on it for it to work... and that's with big tires.

IMG01132_zps7b8e40aa.jpg

Thanks, seen the pallet trick. Not for me. I just picked up some flush countersink concrete mounting bolts. Gonna cap them when I'm not using them. Thanks for the info

Still crushing new trails in the area, bike is running Awesome.

post-15232-055421300 1382889087_thumb.jp

post-15232-001112800 1382889098_thumb.jp

post-15232-006202500 1382889115_thumb.jp

post-15232-033990500 1382889129_thumb.jp

Got my Happy Trails 41 liter top box after almost a month wait. Love it! Changed my oil the other day and took the HT skid plate off to re adjust it, was pushed/bent back from a rough hit and the Moose shift lever would hit it a little. And could see that it had been taking some rough hits. Put some 1/4 inch rubber pads to buffer and keep it forward.

Some video of some local riding area here. Lots of single track but that footage is corrupt so I'll have to get some more. It's good tight single track through trees and creeks.

post-15232-041213800 1383582422_thumb.jp

post-15232-001178100 1383582444_thumb.jp

post-15232-034651500 1383582467_thumb.jp

Looking good Scott! That riding looks good too. Hugs to Carmen. :rolleyes:/>

Thanks Charlie, will do. Good times.