Slaugo

Nate Harrison Palomar breakin ride

Proud parent of a Black on Black newborn 2013 KLR650. So being less than 24 hours old i've been gently trying to break it in. Few hundres miles on it now so I'm about half way there. got off work at 2pm and headed home to grab some gear. Headed out at 3pm to do the orange groves on the way to Palomar. Did a few mellow laps then backtracked and eased up Nate H grade. then down the tight side and did a few laps of the lower half and headed home.

Was really surprised on how well the bike handles with the Stock Dunlops both on the street and dirt. Still need to get use to the extra poundage but all in all I'm real happy with the bike. Looks like I averaged 57 mpg without a speedo correction. Its off my 3-4 mph. So 52 prolly is more accurate. But Palomars tight side was really clean so I got to lean it over quite a bit. Didnt hit the peg sliders but it was close. Nate was well groomed and the bike didnt slideways as much as I thought it would. Lack of traction on the dirt under heavy throttle was the only complaint on the stock rear. Suspension was surpisingly better than I expected. gonna try it in the Sand at Glamis soon with the stock tire. But I'm pretty sure as is it'll putt in the washes.

Got a great deal at Vey's. Robert the owner hooked me up with a no haggle OTD price.:)/>/>

post-15232-076610900 1365567384_thumb.jp

post-15232-059464100 1365567407_thumb.jp

post-15232-021920800 1365567438_thumb.jp

post-15232-082995400 1365567463_thumb.jp

post-15232-065531900 1365567487_thumb.jp

There will always be a spot in my heart for a klr, this one looks sexy...it this possible?

1365567713[/url]' post='149179']

Very nice looking bike... Enjoy the sand

Hehe - change those tires!

Congrats Scott! Good looking bike. So the DRZ let you down one day and this is the result? :coolio:

Congrats Scott! Good looking bike. So the DRZ let you down one day and this is the result? :coolio:/>

Thanks Charlie.

LOL, the Dizzer hasnt let me down. Om good with this issue. the bike has been places...LOL

No remember what happened when when we stopped for a drink after that ride? this is the happy well recieved result.

Thanks Bob, Glamis will be a great benchmark for the stock bike. I'll be sure to take some pix and video. I think Kato has thoughts of being my partner in crime on this trip. hooligans that we are.

Hehe - change those tires!

Yup, after we see what they can do in the sand-sand. And I wear them out. I can already see that they have much more gription that my AngleWings. But a set of 606's might be in its future.

Thanks Bob, Glamis will be a great benchmark for the stock bike. I'll be sure to take some pix and video. I think Kato has thoughts of being my partner in crime on this trip. hooligans that we are.

I'm in...let me change my front tire first

There will always be a spot in my heart for a klr, this one looks sexy...it this possible?

It's possible even for a pig to be sexy..lol. they called it Black on Black cuase of the plastics and rims. Funny, ever bike I've ever owend has had either black, red, blue or white in the scheme and Black and Red is my favorite color. Of course the wife said happy aniversary....:)

I'm in...let me change my front tire first

Cool, of course I'm on call this weekend so it'll prolly be in about 2-3 weeks. I'll make a thread well in advance. And of course we'll be heading out from Diego not trucking prolly hitting ABDSP through OcWels and around the Salton to get there.

I don't plan on putting the KLR in a truck.. Too much work

We can meet at Otay and ride from there

You are just plain mean about the sand..

Friggin' nice bike! I have been riding my KLR so much, I've neglected my other bike almost completely. It's a fun, fun bike.

Coincidentally, that is where I took my KLR to break it in!

I hope to see you out there soon.

Friggin' nice bike! I have been riding my KLR so much, I've neglected my other bike almost completely. It's a fun, fun bike.

Coincidentally, that is where I took my KLR to break it in!

I hope to see you out there soon.

Cool, cool.Thanks. Yeah Its my first Kawi ever and considering I at bike #30somthing Its different. It wont be flying very much but I hope to put some of those adventure type miles and school miles on it.

Im really surprised on how well it rides on both street and dirt. I mean for the price its more than I expected.

Yes, Nate's was the perfiect break in ride to test both the dirt and twisties.

around the Salton to get there.

Around? You got a klr now, we're going THROUGH the salton sea :)

Pack yourself a nice TOW STRAP for the fancy riders need em more then the KLR guys do. :)

Really nice looking KLR. I'm considering one as a mid-size DS right now and it's good to hear your feedback.

Really nice looking KLR. I'm considering one as a mid-size DS right now and it's good to hear your feedback.

Thanks, Kato sent me a bunch of links for upgrades and mods. Crazy. I'm just trying to break her on and then see what's up. But I'm happy with the handling, apparently there's an upgrade in the forks and swing arm but I have nothing to compare it to. Gonna sand test it soon. Ill let you know.

Pack yourself a nice TOW STRAP for the fancy riders need em more then the KLR guys do. :)/>/>

You mean like my DRZ......lol luckily I was at the top of Otay and coasted down for the truck ride home. But a tow strap is always good to have.

Kato: through?

Heres the first months worth of feedback.

post-15232-005156900 1367976473_thumb.jp This past weekend after Santiago Peak ride

post-15232-016641900 1367976551_thumb.jp New Zero Gravity Double Bubble windscreen.

post-15232-029894500 1367976698_thumb.jp My favorite pic so far.

So I've had about a month with the KLR and have 1000 miles on it. And I can truly say it's like wrestling a PIG. No Joke.

It's however, a decent bike over all. It has its many shortcomings and it shines in a few places, but it's mostly a lot of things you wouldn't want in a Dual sport.

Makes a great Adventure bike for packing on the gear and still being able to cover pretty rough terrain with a good amount of weight.

The mini sport fairing and windscreen do a great job combined with the radiator (Singular) shrouds in wicking the airflow from your body and helping no doubt in the aerodynamics. It wobbles at 90 but it doesn't wibble and fall down. I put a Zero Gravity Double bubble wind screen on it today that I got from E bay for 64 bucks brand new. And I have a black stock DRZ S model front fender that I might try on it to see if it helps with the Wibble/wobble.

Speedo according to neighborhood radar and GPS is off by 4mph at 65mph. So that would put it at 66mph top speed in the dirt so far and 91mph on the road.(adjusted) It's just over 5500rpms right before 80 mph which is a great slab cruising speed if you don't mind the fuel consumption gain.

Its center of gravity is very low, which makes it feel lighter than it is. It turns on the road like a road bike and it turns on the dirt like a road bike.

The kickstand length is a pain in the booty, and makes you find a low spot every time you park. (It's too long for the stock tires).

It's approx. 438 loaded wet lbs. and feels like it most of the time.

Of course it has the 6 gallon tank that can cover less than 300 miles while spinning the tire in the dirt.

It has Dunlop K270's which can handle almost any terrain except for mud. And it does need the air-down for sand and loose stuff.

I'm going to put some knobbies on it soon and see how it climbs.

The suspension is almost nonexistent and is by far the weakest link of the whole ride.

The motor is a solid old school single of course, and really thrives when thumping. It works well at a low bogged thump, then not again until the upper RPM range where it comes alive. Mid-range is slow and mild. its got the double balancer going on.

Overall fit and finish is not what I expect from a 2013 model. But I think of the price and smile.

Being a 2nd Gen I can't imagine what a Gen one lacks.

The seat and ergonomics fit is well suited for a long ride, but lacks the room to settle into a good attack position.

The controls stick at times. Like the blinker switch and what not.

I didn't realize until after I bought it that it has a one sided radiator. (Weird) But even when hot it cools quickly when the fan is on when it stops.

The shocks both front and back are limited to a few adjustments. (Weird)

It has a decent size rear rack which is convenient for carrying a lot of gear.

The foot pegs feel great but are really crap. The peg sliders came off on two different rides. One from a poor suspension response to small whoops and the second to a small rock that became huge before the rebound, rebounded.

Whoops are the worst of all terrain I've encountered as of yet. But fire roads, it eats them up and leaves you feeling fresh and relaxed from the overly plush ride.

The second Gen suspension is said to be upgraded to help with the overly heavy front end along with thicker spokes. The doohickey is said to be addressed. Hopefully I'll find out within the one year warranty.

No Rim locks came with the bike.

An oil change is a 15 minute job even with the motor warm up and filter change.

Now I did get a great deal on the bike and for the price, I can truly say I'm very happy with the ride over all.

Even with all its short comings. With the stock tires and the entire bike in stock form, I can say it truly has gone where I've pointed it in the first 1000 miles.

I'll change its foot print and suspension as much as I can and prolly pipe it with a slip on until the warranty is over. But it comes alive in the twisties and that helps when slabbing to OcWells and the ABDSP.

So the adventure continues......

Nice Bike Slaugo

My good friend just purchased the same bike. I too was surpised at the weight, i used to own/ride a lot of XR600s and XR650s, the KLR was very soft in rought terrian. To your point, the bike is tons on fun and has a nice blend of street confort. Enjoy and look forward to seeing the two of you on the trail

I HIGHLY recommend the Ricor front fork kit - single biggest change made to the bike - the Ricor rear shock (I bought one) is not worth it IMHO.

I tried different exhausts and the best working ( and lightest) is the 2000-2002 Gsxr 1000 (40F0) can modded to fit. Add that to the simple washer under the needle and you are good to go. Another cheaper option is to gut the converter out of the stock exhaust.

Nice Bike Slaugo

My good friend just purchased the same bike. I too was surpised at the weight, i used to own/ride a lot of XR600s and XR650s, the KLR was very soft in rought terrian. To your point, the bike is tons on fun and has a nice blend of street confort. Enjoy and look forward to seeing the two of you on the trail

He's much better bike o. The road but it is what it is for now. Thanks hope to see you out there too.