Goofy Footer

DRZ400 Wide Ratio Transmission Gears

This Thread on Thumpertalk about ACT Wide Ratio Gears for the DRZ400 has my mind spinning with ideas.

I really like my DRZ-E, it's been damn reliable and it's survived all the crap I've thrown at it. Sure its not the highest performing bike out there - its' not the lightest bike, doesn't make the most power and the suspension isn't the greatest (it did get a lot better after taking it to Suspenders tho) but I've done a heck of alot on it - ranging from Vet track MX to Death Valley and it still keeps going and going.

My single biggest complaint with the DRZ is the 5 speed gear box. I'm geared for desert riding 14/44. It's a compromise - it climb everythighn I feel comfortable on at McCain/Corral but it's limited to backroad cruising at 60mph (at least at the RPMs I'm comfortable at).

Advanced Clutch Technology (ACT), based in Lancaster, CA, is selling at set of Wide Ratio gears for the DRZ400 for $690. (They are $620 from Wheeling Cycle Supply). The price is steep and requires slight cutting of the shift forks (to fit the different sized gears) but the mod apparently transforms the bike and solves the DRZ's biggest problem - tight gearing.

After my DRZ successfully pulled me out of a Baja Swamp and rode stellar the rest of the day without complaint, I'm going to have a hard time letting it go. While I have my eye keenly set on finding the perfect high performance/race bike to flog, I keep going back to the DRZ as "my" version of an adventure bike. This gearing could open new doors for the flexibility of the bike.

I would love to hear Your thoughts and get a little discussion going.

shiftpointcomparison3.jpg

novaactcomparison.jpg

Below is a review by BMWDRron on ThumperTalk (obviously I don't know him so I'm taking everything he says with a grain of salt but he does seem to give a fair review of the mod and the bike in general).

"I installed a set of the ACT gears in my 2003 DRZ400E. I have now ridden the bike on very difficult single track as well as zipping down paved roads to connect trails. I have ridden it several hundred miles since the conversion, so I think I can make a good, informed report now.

A bit of background on me and how I use the DRZ may be helpful. I know what the DRZ is and what it is not. I have no misunderstanding that it is a wonderful trail bike but no racer. It is more reliable than any of my ex-wives, which is why I feel confident on it in the depths of Mexico, or even miles and hours away from the nearest place a truck could get to when I'm single tracking in Utah. I am competent rider but no longer a competition rider. I am a professional BMW mechanic and am enthusiastic about all forms of motorcycling. Unlike so many BMW guys, I have no allegence to any brand or model of motorcycle. It works or it does not work regardless of the brand on the tank. This is the end of the longwinded part.

The ACT gear set could be installed by anyone who is capable of properly splitting the engine/trans and who can operate a belt sander and a Dremel or similar grinding/cutting equipment. The mods to the case and shift forks were pretty much cake as the pictures and instructions were very clear about what had to be done. They even explained why, just in case the installer could not see that as obvious. I thought the color instructions added a bit of class too.

The math explains exactly how it works. By adding about 6% to each gear ( second is about 6% higher than stock, third is about 12% etc) the gearbox allows a much wider road speed range between 1st and 5th gears. So, if you gear really low (like 12/47 for instance) you can have that super low first gear and still be able to not be run over my trucks if you have to get on a paved highway. If you run a taller sprocket set(like14/44) you will be reminded that this is an old school 400 when you are running fast on the road and come to long uphill grades.

Other observations: The shifting is glassy smooth, just like the stock DRZ. My bike also has a kickstarter, so don't be concerned about any problem with that if you have a kicker model or have added a kicker to your E, S or SM. The 2nd-5th have a very VERY tiny bit more gear whine than the stock gears, but are no where near the noise of my buddies brand new KTM. I was a little concerned that the additional jump between gears might be a problem on the faster singletacks and two tracks. It is not, mostly because the DRZ has such a un-finicky wide power band design.

My opinion and a buck and change will get you a cup of coffee at some cheap restaraunts. But, since you are now a captive audience, here it comes. It made the DRZ a much more wide-use motorcycle. It won't replace my GS as a good road bike and if I were a serious or competative off roader it would be traded for something orange. But, when I want to hop on a bike that will put a smile on my face, the DRZ is closest to the garage door.Such was not the case with the annoyingly limiting stock gearbox."

Do it. Buy the gears.

You have a bike you're are completely happy with, except one small issue. The transmission ratios are perfect for windy fireroads, nothing else. Until now you thought you were stuck with it, now you have a fix. If you could find the perfect bike for $700 would you buy it?

Eventually I will be swapping the WR trans into my YZ. That should make it the worlds greatest trail bike :) .

Well he said it well; he knows what it is and what it isn’t. And he should mention what it will never be. Reliability and dependability are the main reasons I've had 3 DRZ's. I've been fortunate to have had a CRF450R in the stable at the same time so I never try to change my DRZ too much from reliable and dependable.

But it would be nice to have that WR gearing, and a FCR carb and the 440 kit and.......But the personality of my DRZ is such that I try not to change it.

But then I do get to hop on the CRF and wish for nothing more. And it does sadden me and put me in a brief depression when switching from my CRF to my DRZ. But it is what it is. I can go places on both bikes that the other can’t. It’s just how fast do I want to get there. The smile is instant on my CRF, but a much longer duration on my DRZ.

If I had the money to spend that WR gearing would be on the list.

There's too much stuff out there to spend your money on. I'm just going to live with my DRZ the way it is rather than spend a lot of money trying to make it perfect. It works pretty good for a variety of uses. Why mess with it?

Eventually I will be swapping the WR trans into my YZ. That should make it the worlds greatest trail bike :)/> .

We should talk.

Eventually I will be swapping the WR trans into my YZ. That should make it the worlds greatest trail bike :)/>/> .

We should talk.

he's been wanting to put a YZ transmission into his WR :ph34r:

OK- seriously... this, I think, is THE one most legitimate gripe about the DRZ. the DR350 had a 6 speed and I never heard of any failures.

So- Suzuki, in their infinite wisdom, upgrades the ergos, adds liquid cooling, improves the suspension, updates the styling... and... goes BACK to a 5 speed?

Like most others, I live with it- running 15-49 usually, if I was riding beach to river, I would go to 15-41, or even stock. I definitely DON'T want to ride Ranger on 15-41. I did sections of 3 with that and it was a handful.

I rode the 15-49 with Bowers and co during the desert dash weekend, and the street riding verily sucked

Not worth the coin for me, but for others...?

Good discussion guys, keep it coming!

I know what my DRZ is and isn't. For me, it's one heck of a dual sport. It is Not a race bike. I like that it performs well in the dirt yet I can hop on the bike and ride to work if I wanted and I can take longer way home along backcountry roads without worrying about hours or mileage.

I bought my DRZ inexpensively and it came to me fairly loaded. The E model is definitely more fun to ride than the S and I've done all the appropriate mods (through the killer people here on SDAR, most of the mods have been free, or with second hand but lightly used parts, etc). It's currently loaded, I'm stoked with it, I fit it and believe I can ride it to my best abilities. My train of thought, don't spend money on making it Faster. If you want faster, get a faster bike. Spend money on making it fit you better - ergos, suspension etc and spend money on making it more useful - lighting for night, luggage etc. Yes, I want a faster bike to flog but that is a different "mission" and different thread. This thread is about the DRZ and solving the one big problem I have with the bike.

To me, these Wide Ratio gears can expand the use of the bike. On street I shift from 1st straight into 3rd. According to the graph, I should be able to run 14/47 dirt gearing and still be able to cruise freeway. In an ideal world I'd have 3 bikes, one for track and woods, one general purpose reliable dualsport and one flat out desert killer. In reality though, I've happily rocked the DRZ solo for a while. It's hard to sell a bike that's treated as me as well as the DRZ. Sure I could sell the DRZ (which I would regret) and dualsport a racebike but I'm hesitant, especially (and unfortunately) in light of recent failures SDAR guys have had.

$620 is no joke. That, Plus installation (can anybody guess how much that will cost?) is a definite investment into the DRZ...

Plus installation (can anybody guess how much that will cost?) is a definite investment into the DRZ...

Cost would be gaskets, sealer, perhaps a few tools that can't be borrowed and a weekend in your garage with a few friends. So maybe another $40 or $50 in food and beer. Transmission work only sounds scary. Once you're in there it's really a simple system. I rebuilt my Mustang trans in my parent's garage. Obviously the bike could be a bit more difficult with the cylinder having to come off and splitting the cases, but get in there and do it. From the sounds of it, the kit comes with detailed instructions.

Like I said $700 for the perfect bike.

If I could buy wr gears for my xr400 it would be on my list!

I've been looking at these before I even got mine. The way I see it, the DRZ is a solid platform to work off. Every dual sport bike made seems to have some sort of trade off which either takes time and money to fix or can't be fixed at all. Mine has 3 speeds currently: 1st, 3rd, and pegged in 5th. Sometimes 1st still seems tall on tight trails even with 14/47 and 5th has the engine racing at 55-60. If I could ride the highway for 50 miles in relative comfort and then turn off the road and ride single track without a gearing change, I'd be 100 times happier with mine. I imagine it'll feel like a whole different bike.

Keep us posted if you decide to go through with it!

Plus installation (can anybody guess how much that will cost?) is a definite investment into the DRZ...

Cost would be gaskets, sealer, perhaps a few tools that can't be borrowed and a weekend in your garage with a few friends. So maybe another $40 or $50 in food and beer. Transmission work only sounds scary. Once you're in there it's really a simple system. I rebuilt my Mustang trans in my parent's garage. Obviously the bike could be a bit more difficult with the cylinder having to come off and splitting the cases, but get in there and do it. From the sounds of it, the kit comes with detailed instructions.

Like I said $700 for the perfect bike.

I recently came back to this topic and starting thinking - to split the cases and perform the transmission work, what "moto specific" tools might be required?

Flywheel Puller

Crankcase Splitter - Separator

Are these mandatory or more "beneficial" ?

Flywheel puller is mandatory. I may have one. Crankcase splitter may be nice, but I've never used one.