Goofy Footer

Dirt Trails to Niland, CA

Does anybody know of some dirt routes around the south of the Salton Sea to get to Niland?

I was reminded of Salvation Mountain from the CORE for Kids ride report. I've been meaning to go for a while but it's been on the back burner. I know my way around Ocotillo/Superstition/OW but I haven't ventured east of the 86 much.

I'll be on a plated bike so I don't need 100% dirt, some backroads look like they will be necessary through the farm land but I'd like to maximize the dirt miles.

Any and all info is appreciated. I'm open to launch from Ocotillo, OW/Salton City or even east of El Centro along the 8fwy if it would be more fun.

Thanks in advance!

Of course...

It's part of our trek to go from Ocotillo, towards Blu Inn... and then over to the South side of Salton Sea... or North of Westmorland and through Calipatria out to the Coachella Canal (which is South of Niland) ...The rest of the ride area... is a mystery, or has to remain a mystery. ph34r.gif Even though it looks like open terrain, there's lots and lots of old bombs, tanks...etc (it's called the Choc.Mtn Aerial Gunnery Range) on our path up towards the Bradshaw Trail. But my track keeps you on the correct side of canals and roadways.... to keep you from having to backtrack, around a field or whatever.

That sound like what your looking for?

Of course...

It's part of our trek to go from Ocotillo, towards Blu Inn... and then over to the South side of Salton Sea... or North of Westmorland and through Calipatria out to the Coachella Canal (which is South of Niland) ...The rest of the ride area... is a mystery, or has to remain a mystery. ph34r.gif Even though it looks like open terrain, there's lots and lots of old bombs, tanks...etc (it's called the Choc.Mtn Aerial Gunnery Range) on our path up towards the Bradshaw Trail. But my track keeps you on the correct side of canals and roadways.... to keep you from having to backtrack, around a field or whatever.

Precisely! I was thinking Ocotillo thru Painted Gorge and upto the 78 or out to Superstition then hoping to find a pole line road (I know there is one that parallels the 86) and scoot south of Salton Sea, by Westmorland, then Calipatria to Niland.

For this specific run I'm only looking at going to Niland but who knows where the next trip will go so all info is appreciated.

EDIT: I now see the Coachella Canal and the train tracks east of Niland which head southeast towards the 8fwy.

ps -Warning: Thread Hijack!- but do you have any led battery operated helmet lights available for demo or that I could look at?

Of course...

Precisely! I was thinking Ocotillo thru Painted Gorge and upto the 78 or out to Superstition then hoping to find a pole line road (I know there is one that parallels the 86) and scoot south of Salton Sea, by Westmorland, then Calipatria to Niland.

For this specific run I'm only looking at going to Niland but who knows where the next trip will go so all info is appreciated.

ps -Warning: Thread Hijack!- but do you have any led battery operated helmet lights available for demo or that I could look at?

... perfect. Then I can help ya out.

And yes. It's brand new, never used (I don't use helmet lights - my headlight washs them out and makes'em useless). Heck, I'd even think of selling it to you.

PM me, if you want to come grab it.

goofy did this already happened? if not let me know if you're looking for company on this ride.. ya knooow!!!

goofy did this already happened? if not let me know if you're looking for company on this ride.. ya knooow!!!

X2.