Afry

This tire tool is pretty cool

I bought this on an impulse from a group buy on Advrider a few months back - *Note to self* do not drink and drive on the internet. Anyway this tire tool is from a moto shop in Estonia (who finds these things?) and was about $100. I hate changing tires and this tool uses no tire irons and doesn't scratch the rim so I figured I'm in.

Well I finally needed to change the rear on my SE and took it off the usual way - no big deal. Then I did the normal inflate and baby powder the tube deal then stuffed the tube inside the tire. I then put the rim disc side first into the tire and laid it on my custom tire changing machine which is really an old grease drum slightly smaller in diameter than the rim so it lays on the spokes up off the floor.

So I pulled the new tool out of the box and dropped it into the bearings on the hub and about 15 seconds later the first bead was mounted. After making sure the tube is below the rim I started on the top bead and less than a minute later the tire was done - WTF?? Now I am standing there sweat free wondering what to do with all the used expletives that I normally drop, this was too easy. I was just checking out how it worked so I didn't put the usual lube on the bead and there are no new scratches on the rim, pretty damn cool - there I used one of them.

The tool can be seen here and if you click on it in the upper right corner you can view a video of it in use by someone who knows what he is doing. http://kauritmoto.com/

Oh, the tire dismount setup they have there is very cool also but I hear it is about $600 so I'll just stick to tire irons.

Here is a shot of it with the aluminum adapter on

2013-03-24+16.32.35.jpg

Here is a shot of it broken down - total length is 12" and pretty compact if you unscrew the pivot bolt. It weighs a few pounds so I won't bring it on the trail with me but on a larger bike with cases it would be not big deal to travel with. I will be taking it to DV this weekend.

2013-03-24+16.38.07.jpg

I could have used this Saturday night. Roadside flat stranded me at GoofyFooter's and ended up snapping a tire iron(yes, you read correctly). I'll post a new thread because I have some question's for the masses.

Afry,

I actually got in on the current group buy at ADV and looking forward to using it, They were runnning $130 to my door with a tip for the group buy organizer. Sure looks easy. Did you use a bead buddy when installing, or was it not even needed?

I understood every thing that guy said.

That thing is sweet.

Did You put TKC on?

A bunch of folks over on CafeHusky.com did a buy of these tools from Estonia, seems all are happy with it, its sturdy and its quality built.

I'm staying old school, I all ready have an ISDE type tire tool.

This how I roll, bibs with silicon grease,some tire soap, lots of compound bend irons and all that climbing around.

from cafe husky

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/group-buy-tire-changing-tool.27018/page-10

Can you post a link of the current adv group buy?

It looks interesting & I want more info!

Thanks!

Afry,

I actually got in on the current group buy at ADV and looking forward to using it, They were runnning $130 to my door with a tip for the group buy organizer. Sure looks easy. Did you use a bead buddy when installing, or was it not even needed?

I didn't but the TKC is not a real stiff sidewall tire (to also answer HVWT's question) on a stiffer tire you will need to make sure the bead is in the center groove no matter the tools being used.

Goofy Footer - I think it's already done: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822894

Goofy Footer,

Current buy is done and we are awaiting delivery. I believe PMR (piney mountain racing) already has a list started for the next group of interested buyers and stand-by for any tools that are "left over" on this buy. You should PM him.

Do you know who put this together on ADV? Maybe we could do this on our forum as a group buy. I would put up $130 today. That is a cool tool to have. Just by watching the video, that beats using the tire iron by a long shot.

Afry,

I didn't but the TKC is not a real stiff sidewall tire (to also answer HVWT's question) on a stiffer tire you will need to make sure the bead is in the center groove no matter the tools being used.

Goofy Footer - I think it's already done: http://advrider.com/...ad.php?t=822894

I went to the web posted and I cannot read it nor can I find how to order it on the site.

could you PM on how to get in on the buy please.

Goofy Footer,

Current buy is done and we are awaiting delivery. I believe PMR (piney mountain racing) already has a list started for the next group of interested buyers and stand-by for any tools that are "left over" on this buy. You should PM him.

could you PM on how to get in on the buy please.

I would PM "Pineymountainracing" on Advrider.com I'm sure he has a direct email to "Are" in Estonia or he can shed light on another possible group buy. Please post his response for others.

All,

I sent a PM to Piney Mountain Racing on ADV to get the info about the group buy with Are at Kaurit Moto for the tire changer info. I'll post up the info once I get it. As a side note, i know he was shipping the 40 pieces he had in stock and still had to fabricate 30-35 units and various adapters that some guys wanted.

Below is the info on pricing (found on post 580 of the thread)that was given on this group buy, plus USPS flat rate(med box) for delivery from PMR to each individual. I believe the threshold for 50 units, but total was closer to 75 units on the order.

AYR Tyre Mounting Tool-Description (optional) $96.00

Axle 15mm-Description (optional) $11.70

Axle 17mm-Description (optional) $12.60

Short push rod-Description (optional) $28.60 1 $28.60

Shipping and handling $712.00

I know his email is: arekaurit@hotmail.com

Regards

Bob

That shipping charge seems a bit high for a $100 part

That is for shipping for 75 units and misc adapters from E.Europe to FL.

From Piney Mountain Racing (Craig Dunn) at ADV:

" I just used the one on his website, arekaurit@hotmail.com. I have never spoke with him, only communicated thru emails. He was in the U.S. and Florida in January and was going to call me but he didn't

For the tools, he was giving us 25% if we ordered more than 20 tools. I think he gave us the same break on the adapters and optional pushers. When I talked with him about the stands this go around, I think he offered 10% IIRC (but that was to individuals, not really a group buy). "

Regards,

Bob

For those that may be interested in this tire mounting tool, it looks like an inmate (EvanADV) on ADV is considering sponsoring another group buy.

link to ADV post