Goofy Footer

DualSportMaps.com At Risk of Shut Down

When I logged onto DualSportMaps.com today I saw this plea from CraftyCoder, the writer/founder of dualsportmaps.com. He made a video and posted it on youtube. It is hidden from the public (only those with the link can see it). I hope this link works:

http://www.youtube.c...&v=PovzkSWGyUM#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PovzkSWGyUM

Strega do you have more info?

This site will go offline in May without your assistance.

$13,000 needed - Google's is shutting down a necessary API that requires me to do a site rewrite. I need your help!

This website was started in the fall of 2010 by myself. It has grown in complexity and function over the years and now includes top notch searching, editing, and mobile capabilities. You can even upload your own custom maps that I will turn into tiles and project on top of the Google map. I personally wrote and maintain the website. I provide all the "customer service" and hosting services (which themselves have a cost of >$1000/month). The money raised will go cover my labor during rewrite process. The new subscription link (near the login button) will be used to collect money in advance so there is a war chest the next time we need resources to get the website fixed.

I've already tried to create a Kickstarter campaign so money could be raised without cost to you, the user, unless all the money required for my commitment to be attained. Kickstarter turned me down because the site is not new. Now I am stuck with the prospect of asking for money but making no promises to deliver unless enough is raised. If you want to support this website please give generously. If enough people do, I will make sure the site suffers as little done time as possible. If I don't raise my target amount, the site may stay offline months or forever. I will not be making refunds of money received if I do not raise enough to allow me to dedicate myself to rewriting the site. The personal risk to my pocket book if that were promised would be enough (because Paypal will take it's cut regardless) to induce me to not ask for money at all.[/media]

This would really suck if it shut down, I use it all the time. Even if you don't use it some of the guys that put together rides do. I don't have 13k but I'm going to donate $100.

paypal doesn't take a cut for taking or giving back or refunding donations and if its for goods that don't get delivered full funds are returned, no fees.

He needs to rewrite it in v3 of the Google API (which I wrote WhereAmIRiding in) which will take a lot of time. It's a lot of work and lots of time involved.

I threw down $100, I hope he raises the necessary funds to make it happen. It's the best site available for creating, searching, and displaying tracks on the web.

He needs to rewrite it in v3 of the Google API (which I wrote WhereAmIRiding in) which will take a lot of time. It's a lot of work and lots of time involved.

I threw down $100, I hope he raises the necessary funds to make it happen. It's the best site available for creating, searching, and displaying tracks on the web.

Is it asking too much to explain why he needs to rewrite it in v3? What's wrong with whatever code/language he wrote it in already? Will it cease to function with googlemaps? I'll give, I just need to understand.

Google is getting rid of v2 ;\

He was deep into creating DualSportMaps when Google announced their new version. I heard v3 was coming and delayed starting my project until I could get started usin the latest version.

No one thought they'd actually just get rid of v2.

I dont know much about this api but you'd think they'd make scripts written in v2 somehow coompatible with v3, minus the new features. I guess thats unless 3 is written from scratch or has major issues (reliability, security,...) or who knows what

1363972434[/url]' post='147742']
1363969603[/url]' post='147741']

I dont know much about this api but you'd think they'd make scripts written in v2 somehow coompatible with v3, minus the new features. I guess thats unless 3 is written from scratch or has major issues (reliability, security,...) or who knows what

You need to do a migration not just an upgrade. Time consuming but free if you got the hours.

I threw in $50. Love this app on my smartphone and the web site.

Ever think about charging small fee to raise the $$? $13K is lot but only 1,300 people need to pay $10, or 650 at $20, and so on and so on...:)