Goofy Footer

Possible Laguna Hanson 3/16 or 3/17

Hi long time reader but not much posting. I have a klr with bad paint job , if that's cool you could use it for the weekend.

Tank , that is.

nice one! Thank you for the post.

Pm'd you

You guys may see me and my group of 5 down there on Sun. We are going to Coyote Cals via Laguna Hanson/Ojos/Tres Hermanez/Santo Thomas. Down on sat back on sunday.

Ride safe and we may see you in Ojos for lunch or gas. We will stay on our side of the road. hahahaha

DD

Also in for sunday.

My first time riding in Baja guys. My klr has been reliable, will have an ims 6.5 tank on, and i can usually hold my own ok on the trail, im also fluent in spanish (though its the gringo kind of spanish so dont count on me to sweet talk the police trying to nail us for a stop sign ah!).

how much cash is a good amount to take for a day down there more or less?

Not to butt in but I would think $100-150 would be more than enough. You probably wont spend more than $30-40 in food and gas. Where you end up needing more cash is when you have a mishap and need to pay someone for a ride, or repair or hotel or whatever. Cash is king in most of the area you will be in. On the other hand you will have your other riders to help one way or the other.

I personally try not to carry all of my cash in one place. If I loose my wallet or leave the pocket open on my backpack then I have not lost everything.

Have fun, the weather looks perfect.

DD

I'd like to do a one day strike to Laguna Hanson (there and back) next weekend, 3/16 or 3/17. Leave SF, head to Santa Veronica, down the trail, then cut over to the Laguna Hanson trail, up the hills, to the lake, refuel/food at Saw Mill then loop back around and up to Santa Veronica. I "think" I have legit gps tracks haha.

Any tips for this route?

post-14322-065113500 1362716150_thumb.pn

I've got lots and lots of tracks that run from KOA (now Rancho Ojai), up to Laguna Hanson/Saw Mill.

.... and tie in a lot of great single track, or two track types trails to spice it up somewhat.

I personally stay off of Compadre Trail as much as possible. Too smooth and boring... even for this old guy. coolio.gif

You can PM me your email if you want me to share.

I got gas (no radiator shrouds though, but who needs those), see you sunday morning @ 8. Where is that quickmart? Cant find on google

TIM.... check your email. Lots of tracks sent via GPX king.gif

Got em, Superb! :good:/>

I got gas (no radiator shrouds though, but who needs those), see you sunday morning @ 8. Where is that quickmart? Cant find on google

Last gas station on the left a couple of hundred yards before you cross the boarder. Actually, it's the only gas station before you cross the boarder. You can't get lost....there is really nothing else there. I'll be parked in the lot across the street.

Last gas station on the left a couple of hundred yards before you cross the boarder. Actually, it's the only gas station before you cross the boarder. You can't get lost....there is really nothing else there. I'll be parked in the lot across the street.

Sounds good thanks.

Ok at this point we have 3 confermed riders.

Goofy are you coming ???? Their are some on the fence that may show up that are not posting up.

I will be off the computer till later Sat afternoon.

I will check in then .

Ok at this point we have 3 confermed riders.

... hmm, my friends were supposed to go to the dez, me included... but it's too hot. That didn't pan out.

I'm pouring concrete at my house on Saturday, and have Sunday to do whatever. Like take the dog to the beach, hang with the wife... or, GO RIDE!

SO, if you already have a route planned out.... Are ya going the "easy" way, or mixing it up... and going some single and two-track stuff (harder)?

Reason I ask, is I might be able to make the ride... and bring a couple 'dudes' with me. All of us on plated CRF450Xs, and very capable.

... assuming we're invited. biggrin.gif

Don,t know if Goofy is coming to use his tracks. But If I lead I am taking the mixing up route but will probley not have the single track.

I got amazing offers to borrow other rifer's bikes. I'm making more headway on my DRZ. I'm optimistically still In for the ride. I've never rode my tracks but between all of us, we should have fun.

Bruce, how much is it to park at the lot in Tecate for the day?

Don,t know if Goofy is coming to use his tracks. But If I lead I am taking the mixing up route but will probley not have the single track.

Okay... well, if needed... I've got the "goods" with single track, if the riders are all capable.

... but, I'm on the way to the doc... as I either lacerated my eye, or got some metal in it from yesterdays welding project. We'll see if I'm a pirate by the end of the day. ARG!

As far as im concerned as long as we're not racing i'm down for pretty much anything.. looking forward to get on the trail tomorrow.

Had some time this morning and even made a radiator shroud out of a old plastic bin ah!

Johnny i hope your eye is not too serious,, good luck!

I got amazing offers to borrow other rifer's bikes. I'm making more headway on my DRZ. I'm optimistically still In for the ride. I've never rode my tracks but between all of us, we should have fun.

Bruce, how much is it to park at the lot in Tecate for the day?

$10

It's directly across from the mini market and gas station.

"made a radiator shroud out of a old plastic bin ah!"

Trash can lid? OK, now were talking BAJA! Put a bunch of duct tape on that thing and wrap it with a beat up bungee cord and you will be in perfect baja fashion.

"made a radiator shroud out of a old plastic bin ah!"

Trash can lid? OK, now were talking BAJA! Put a bunch of duct tape on that thing and wrap it with a beat up bungee cord and you will be in perfect baja fashion.

indeed. double-thickness-reinforced-trash-can-baja-style-patented-shroud. the thing feels even stronger than the oem shrouds

PHOTO_20130315_100926_zpsc0061560.jpg

PHOTO_20130316_104026_zpsbde899cc.jpg

(sorry if that slightly derails the thread, i couldnt help it)

Sorry to butt in late. I've been following this ride since posted whilst doing some bike work leading up. I've gotta throw a new front tire and sprocket on today and go for a test ride this afternoon. If all is good, count me in.

This would my second trip to Baja. The first being the organized BMW ride in December. Much prefer intermediate pace and enjoying the awesome scenery than blasting through technical terrain. I tend to break a lot of bike parts in that stuff :wacko:

I'll be driving with my hitch hauler to park at the lot and then ride. Alright, I'll report back later with my status.

If anyone wants to break off at the Saw Mill gas stop and continue on to Mikes Sky Ranch for the night, let me know. I would be interested. Weather is going to be perfect.

Ok back in the loop- Hiked 8 miles today up hills- Mt Gower-Ramona-- If you need workout go.

Looking forward to ride. Going to start to get ready now !

Later Ken

I'm pretty positive I'll have the DRZ wrapped up for tomorrow. I got a new MT21 installed today as well!

If not, I do have back up bike opportunities (thank you!!)

I will post back tonight with a confirmation.

You guys have a good time...

Bike is 99% done for what I "want" to do before a ride (I was working on it today - gettin' her ready for tomorrow - then went to Dr.).... and, sadly the Doc said no strenous eye movement (I had to laugh). She also said... no dust or contaminant in the eye for a min of a week. When I said.... "So, no 140 mile dirt bike ride in Mexico?!" She just laughed, and looked at me over her glasses and with a stern look, said; "No!"

sad.gif