Bagstr

No Toil Filter Treatment

Not to resuscitate a fairly dead thread, but I thought i'd share something I just discovered not 10 minutes ago. The NoToil detergent works extremely well as a bike wash, particularly around the wheels and chain. Obviously I'll be rinsing everything well, but it did cut through the chain grease and wheel gunk with minimal effort. Usually I need to take a wire brush to clean my wheels, but with the filter detergent it all came off in a flash. Ok, now I feel like i'm in one of those Dawn commercials.

Only problem I've found so far is it's perhaps too good a cleaner for the more delicate items: took the adhesive right off my tank guards.

And with regard to the treatment's affect on non-NoToil filters, I use TwinAir and have had no problems for 4 years.

Notoil is fantastic. Cleaning the filters in a sink. Who'da thunk.

As for it being water soluble... not without the special powder. If oxyclean removes it, I'm in!

SnowAvi

Thanks, I will keep an eye on my Twin Air.for de-lamination

The word from TT is No-Toil will warranty any manufacturers filter used with their oil and cleaner. If your filter falls apart they'll send you a new No-Toil brand filter.

I made the switch to No Toil and I'm toiling over the cleaning process.  I'm using Oxi Clean liquid.  I've done two washes with increased concentrations with not much luck.  Went to straight Oxi Clean liquid and its starting to cut through the goo (see photo).  The amount of liquid I'm using would do laundry for weeks.  The cleaner part of the filter, but not really clean, is where the full strength was used.  I've read plenty of blogs and the above and am a bit perplexed why the Oxi Clean liquid is not cutting this stuff better.  Is dry powder really that much different/better?  The wet filter after these cleanings is still very tacky so a wet filter would still work pretty good in my opinion. I'll be trying the powder form next before buying the proprietary no toil cleaner and will report back.  Thoughts?

IMG_1122.JPG

I use oxyclean powder and works great but has to be hot water, any bit of cold doesn't do it

55 minutes ago, Van said:

I made the switch to No Toil and I'm toiling over the cleaning process.  I'm using Oxi Clean liquid.  I've done two washes with increased concentrations with not much luck.  Went to straight Oxi Clean liquid and its starting to cut through the goo (see photo).  The amount of liquid I'm using would do laundry for weeks.  The cleaner part of the filter, but not really clean, is where the full strength was used.  I've read plenty of blogs and the above and am a bit perplexed why the Oxi Clean liquid is not cutting this stuff better.  Is dry powder really that much different/better?  The wet filter after these cleanings is still very tacky so a wet filter would still work pretty good in my opinion. I'll be trying the powder form next before buying the proprietary no toil cleaner and will report back.  Thoughts?

IMG_1122.JPG

Sumpin aint right.

You sure you got all the old oil out before using the NoToil?

For me, the stuff works AMAZING and no hassle like you're describing.

Hot water, OxyClean, squish, squish,squish then rinse. Yes, THAT easy.

I use the stain remover powder- maybe the liquid detergent is different stuff?

81ub291u4AL._SX522_.jpg

I'm with Uncle Champ on this. Why not just use the No Toil cleaner. It works just as easily as PMB said about the Oxy. Maybe the Oxy is less expensive?? Like Brian mentioned, warm water is key.

On 3/6/2013 at 5:05 AM, paulmbowers said:

I'm glad everyone has had positive experiences- that's great. And it's unlikely this level of water resistance will be required, but here

is an interesting test.

This is not conclusive proof by any stretch of (even my) imagination.

That's interesting. About two weeks ago I had the opportunity to completely submerge my bike with the motor running. Like just the tip of the handlebar was above water. This was nice clean 34 degree mountain water. Once back on dry land I proceeded to pull the tank and spark plug since the cylinder was hydrolocked. Ran the starter for about 10 seconds to blow out the water. Put the spark plug and tank back. The bike fired right up and ran pretty clean. Did a visual inspection of the filter and it looked good and hadn't soaked up a bunch of water. Obviously water got through it to fill the cyllnder. I've been using Belray foam oil filter oil. Wonder if it would have been the same with NoToil? That said I generally use mineral spirits followed by orange citrus cleaner but I get a earfull from the missus everytime about the stink in the garage. Maybe it's time to switch. We've got lots of Oxyclean:)

you guys do what you want but from experience use the brand you choose and use their engineered products from A to Z . Use No-Toil buy the entire no toil kit .  A few of my crew use No toil I know at least one puts his filters in the dishwasher (soap/no toil cleaner ?? IDK). But heck buy the entire package if that's your choice, at least then you can consult with the mfgr if you have concerns. 

I use maxima products from A-to Z . FFT spray and red can filter cleaner, they designed the products to work with each other, no?

Factory Video -  The Red has an alcohol carrier, the green is a water based carrier. The green needs to dry overnight, the red evaporates in 15 minutes. Once dry they are the same and can only be cleaned with No Toil cleaner ( video ). 

Starting with a petroleum coated filter, it needs to be cleaned with solvent then soap and water before using either No Toil plant based oil.

• Like 1

Interesting they claim Oxyclean (they didn't mention the name) is insufficient to properly clean the filter.

I have some no toil cleaner, oil and rim grease. If someone wants it, come get it. I went back to stock and using Maxima products. Green oil, blue cleaner.

Huntndogs, if its not gone before the meeting, I'll take it if you bring it to the meeting.  Buy you a beer even.

Thanks, Van

I’ve been using this Kawasaki stuff. 

Had 10 cases of it given to me. 

I wash my filter in a bucket of diesel followed by dawn dish soap. 

Oil very thoroughly. 

I do it every other long ride. Maybe every 4 rides on 1 hour rides and rotate between 4 filters that fit both KTM’s. 

Throw away and replace once deteriorated. 

I think the most important thing is to have a clean filter. 

Also I’ve been using Twin Air pre filters especially on desert trips where we play in the dunes a lot and most of the sand is in the pre filter. 

One good spill in the dunes can completely cover your air filter in sand. 

D166911E-7E52-4C33-B78F-D54F1C1DC953.jpeg

6 hours ago, Van said:

IMG_1122.JPG

You need to use the Oxy Clean powder.

I use regular grade gasoline ,gloves , Maxima FFT. Works for me . 

And Kug,

Where does the Regular Grade gas go??  With all the dirt? 

:dirol:

P.S.  Just did mine with No Toil and it went down the drain to the ocean.

Just used Tide it works great! 

imageproxy.jpg

10 hours ago, Bagstr said:

And Kug,

Where does the Regular Grade gas go??  With all the dirt? 

:dirol:

P.S.  Just did mine with No Toil and it went down the drain to the ocean.

Yes with the Round Up .

• Like 2

According to the MSDS the No Toil cleaner is 95%-100% Sodium Carbonate.

Oxy Clean has some Sodium Carbonate.

This stuff is 100% Sodium Carbonate:

image.thumb.png.555a13e8a33c29ddfc96a442be618d9b.png

For cleaning out the water based No Toil it works very well.

Remember.....WASHING SODA....NOT BAKING SODA.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 11:49 AM, paulmbowers said:

You sure you got all the old oil out before using the NoToil?

PMB. Started with a fresh new No Toil filter.  Went shopping today and picked up the proprietary No Toil cleaner.  Works just like one would expect it to.  Yea! No more toiling and a squeaky clean filter! So, no more liquid.  Maybe when I run out, I'll try Amgens white powder. $.08/oz is great vs $.60/oz.  Thanks all for the input.

2 hours ago, amgems said:

According to the MSDS the No Toil cleaner is 95%-100% Sodium Carbonate.

Oxy Clean has some Sodium Carbonate.

This stuff is 100% Sodium Carbonate:

image.thumb.png.555a13e8a33c29ddfc96a442be618d9b.png

For cleaning out the water based No Toil it works very well.

Remember.....WASHING SODA....NOT BAKING SODA.

Okay guys, I am a convert. I just ordered the No Toil Green bottle filter oil and the A&H Super Washing Soda. So to get my filters free of the tacky BellRay stuff that I have been using, what is the best way to do so?  

Respectfully, The Green Mule

5 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

So to get my filters free of the tacky BellRay stuff that I have been using, what is the best way to do so?  

Personally?

I'd discard them. Yup, not green, not financially responsible. But it's a beeyotch to get rid of the BelRay stuff.

Back in the day when I used the conventional oil, I'd clean it with biodiesel.But then there's a problem disposing of the resulting biodieselly mess.