so i went to a friends place and he removed the evap system and opened up the airbox.

he told me that i should be able to still ride the bike without issues.

but when i got home i tried to start it up and it wouldnt really idle. it would need the choke on to idle otherwise it would die.

is this because the stock jetting is too lean?

if so i cant get a jet kit til i get paid in a week which means i wont be able to do the ride next weekend :(

Ok- I was driving

Don't let that guy work on your bike

Bikes comes lean (more air less fuel) straight from the factory to pass emissions- you just gave it MORE air

Now you need to give it more fuel...I have some other jets but no time to help you

As Tom says- put the airbox back to normal

Duct tape the hole that you cut off the air box until you get a jet kit.

Never should have cut the air box before having the jets.

next time that guy comes around, FIGHT! kali.gif and defend your honor!

oh yeah, and don't mess with your RUNNING bike unless you fancy yourself a walker.

next time that guy comes around, FIGHT! kali.gif and defend your honor!

oh yeah, and don't mess with your RUNNING bike unless you fancy yourself a walker.

haha got it. ill do the tape mod til i get a jet kit.

he recommended the james dean jet kit.

haha got it. ill do the tape mod til i get a jet kit.

he recommended the james dean jet kit.

certainly one of your better options.

+1 for the JD jet kit and the 3x3 airbox mod. Really woke up the bike with extra power. I followed the instructions over on thumpertalk and it worked out perfect.

+1 for the JD jet kit and the 3x3 airbox mod. Really woke up the bike with extra power. I followed the instructions over on thumpertalk and it worked out perfect.

Right, but the point is you have to do it all at once.

the "hot mods" for DRZs

air box- 3x3 hole

replace the CV carb with an FCR

hot cams

pipe

bigger tank (cuz you'll need it)

those things together will be quite an improvement in the power department

bumping the cc's through bore/stroke will make a lot more power

but none of this will do anything for the weight of the DRZ

did the duct tape mod.

went with various amounts of covered up hole and no dice.

looks like im grounded til i get paid and that kit comes in the mail.

Carb on my KTM has vac lines that had to be blocked, reset needle and open idle jet.

Jetting is very adjustable between air,idle,needle,and main.

"Most" the time you can keep your bike runnig right/good up too full throtle by ajustments.

But wide open is where you need bigger main= more Fuel + more Air= more Power.

But I am sitting here broken using No fuel, just a bunch of Air :angry2:/>/>

Carb on my KTM has vac lines that had to be blocked, reset needle and open idle jet.

Jetting is very adjustable between air,idle,needle,and main.

"Most" the time you can keep your bike runnig right/good up too full throtle by ajustments.

But wide open is where you need bigger main= more Fuel + more Air= more Power.

But I am sitting here broken using No fuel, just a bunch of Air :angry2:/>/>/>

we can be butthurt together lol

did the duct tape mod.

went with various amounts of covered up hole and no dice.

looks like im grounded til i get paid and that kit comes in the mail.

you have something else going on...

check the vent lines to the carb... you have to keep the regular vent open, and the line that went to the charcoal canister needs to be blocked (I think... I did it but I forget stuff)... through a bolt in it and see if that helps

I wish I had some time to show you

Go on thumpertalk and read every post about the carb for the DRZ...

Agree you have something else- that you can fix/adjust. Look at the small lines that came right off the carb.

if anyone has any free time this week im thinkin about barrowing cash from my cousin so i can order a JD kit on monday and maybe have it before friday and get someone who knows how to install it for so i can still make the ride on sat. i can pay ya on saturday or after for your troubles

Clean your jets out, sounds like you have debris if you cant get it to idle. You can take the whole air box off completely and it won't affect the idle at all. You want it running correctly before you start messing with any types of mods so that you have a baseline to start from. That way you know which way to go with your mods. Otherwise you get a crappy running modded bike.

Does your DRZ still have the "prime" "start" "run" and "reserve" petcock? I know those are not the right terms but the petcock was a pain. My brother-in-law went with a Yamaha replacement and blocked off the vacuum line. Need to make sure the gas tank is vented. That solved a lot of run problems.

Does your DRZ still have the "prime" "start" "run" and "reserve" petcock? I know those are not the right terms but the petcock was a pain. My brother-in-law went with a Yamaha replacement and blocked off the vacuum line. Need to make sure the gas tank is vented. That solved a lot of run problems.

Agreed. Not that hobbie is incorrect, a clogged idle jet would certainly keep your bike from idling. But it sounds like you haven't cracked open the carb but you started cappin off vents. You probably capped all the vents from the tank, so review that. No fuel will get into the float if its pulling against a vacuum. Check that you primed your petcock correctly (however that strange drz thing works). An I'd hold off on the jd jet kit until you figure this out.