Anteak

First Bike

My 18yo daughter said she wants to learn how to ride a bike. Great I think to myself. So I explain the controls on my bike (XR650L), have her sit on it, then have her hold it upright. Response, Dad, It's too tall and too heavy for me. Dang, now to look for a bike ($$$). We go to dealerships to try other bikes and what she felt comfortable on was the Honda CRF 150F or the Kaw 140. I'd like to move her up to a CRF230. Be nice for me to practice on too. :coolio:

But now while searching CraigsList, there seems to be a lot of TTR125s. So not knowing anything about these bikes, could someone explain the good, any drawbacks (I.E. suspension for 150 - 175lb., smoothness of engines,) or maintenance issues of these bikes when looking at them used?

TTR125

TTR230

TTR250

CRF150F

CRF230F

She fits the Yamaha 250 Dual sport also, but, "Dad, I don't like the looks". :wacko:/>

Anybody have something tucked in the back of their garage that they might want to get rid of??

All of those bikes are simple air cooled singles, not a lot of maintenance issues on any of them. Yamaha also makes the TTR225, the XT225 and the TW200. Honda, you could get an older XR200 or XR250 and Suzuki makes the DRZ250.

Once you get to the 250 range you are as big as just about any full sized bike, lowering links are available for a lot of them. Having a couple of female riders in the tntmo household, I know that it has to "look right" before some ladies will be interested.

Never make the mistake of buying a large bike and hoping they will grow into it. It rarely works, they will not have the confidence to ride and will probably give up. I would rather buy a small bike and end up selling it in a year or so to upgrade, than to have a bike that never gets ridden.

Good luck, glad she is taking an interest.

Look for a used CRF230"L"......lower than the F and plated....

Or even better, find a crf230f that IS plated :) They're out there...

I'd suggest before you BUY a bike, , make sure she's going to stick with it?.....I learned to ride on my KLX250......cut down seat......a great learner bike, I've taught several ladies how to ride with it.....

\

seat height somewhere around 35".....she's probably taller than me, most people are... :lol:/>

I'd be happy to meet you somewhere, or out at the desert to have her try it...ride a day? or somewhere local that has some dirt and space?

or will you/her be at the desert dash, perhaps I can bring it out there? butterfield not a bad place to practice.?

shoot me a message....

I may even be looking to sell my klx, as I only use it on occasion, or to lend.......

I have two TTR 125s. My sons ride them. The older TTRs have Japanese-built engines. The newer bikes have Brazilian engines. The name of the country of origin is cast into the case by the kick-starter I think. I have one Japanese bike and one Brazilian bike. Our Japanese-built TTR runs sweet. The Brazilian bike runs good but it just sounds a little cheaper at idle than the Japanese bike. Maybe its the quality of the alloy in the castings, I dont know. Both the bikes are blast-proof, and easy to maintain. My 12 and 15 year olds do the oil changes and air filters with a little help. The bikes have proven to be great trail bikes. I hear the frames will break if you jump them excessively, but my kids aren't into big air.

Loosen the lever clamps slightly before your kid goes riding. When they fall, the levers will break if the clamp can't rotate or slide on the handlebar.

Crawdaddy - Wouldn't mind an "L" if they would come down to my price range.

tntmo - Good advice. I bought big for myself and am regretting it now because of the height and weight.

Zoot - Looking, but I'm lacking the proper knowledge to make it legal.

dsfox - Thank you for the offer, She is 5'6", She wants to start on a lower bike (from testing them at the dealers), maybe in the future you could help hone her stills, she would appreciate it. Unfortunately, we will not be attending the Desert Dash.

Hayseed - Didn't know they changed production sites. Will watch that when looking at used bikes, thanks.

All good advice. Next will be safety gear. :wacko:/> Great, more $$ :mellow:/>

Update;

Looks like she wants to stick to a plated bike so we are not forced to truck it everywhere.

Trying to look at a plated 91 Suzuki DR 250 this weekend (currently asking 1,500). Registration overdue by one year. Also is a kick-start only (no magic button). Any feedback for this bike?

Also, she sat on a Kaw KLX250 and didn't seem so bothered of the height. Problem there is the price they go for. Feedback on performance from these? Issues? dsfox ??

Now if somebody would talk to Crawdaddy about thinning his herd and letting his daughter ride his 300, then I could graciously take his CRF230 off his hands.... :coolio:/>/> :drinks:/>

I'm still no further ahead on trying to figure out how to plate one of these 150/230cc small bikes.

Trying to look at a plated 91 Suzuki DR 250 this weekend (currently asking 1,500). Registration overdue by one year. Also is a kick-start only (no magic button). Any feedback for this bike?

The DR250 is just like a DR350 with a smaller engine. Obviously less power, not much less weight, same frame, wheels, suspension, etc. They probably weigh around 275 pounds. The older DR models can be a real PITA to start, fiddling with a decompression lever and then kick/kick/kick/kick. The price is way too high, especially with the overdue registration. If you want a DR350, I'm always finding them. Ask around, I give good deals!

That XR250L that was posted the other day looked like a good machine.