Afry

How can I convert Google maps to use in my GPS?

I keep hearing you can save the map as a KML file and open it in Mapsource but how do you get that KML file out of Google Maps online?

I have never been accused of being a techie so bear with me - when I create a map on Google (using Chrome) I see the link button but that doesn't help me or am I missing something?

I Googled how to do this and all I got were guys talking about codes and such.

I keep hearing you can save the map as a KML file and open it in Mapsource but how do you get that KML file out of Google Maps online?

I have never been accused of being a techie so bear with me - when I create a map on Google (using Chrome) I see the link button but that doesn't help me or am I missing something?

Use Google Earth. Maps will not really allow you to anything of value to move to your GPS without using Earth. It is a free download.

Create your info in Google Earth then save it as a KML in you location of choice, lastly move it to your GPS using Basecamp (Free with GPS) or by using your GPS as an external device. Feel free to have me call you, just PM me your number and when is a good time.

Arne,

KML should be an option when you "save as" the file.

I use a shareware program called GPSBabel. It works very well converting from KML to GPX.

I guess it's me and you for the Dash. Too bad that Arne C. has to travel that weekend.

Call if you want more info on GPSBabel.

Mike

Thanks! See how simple it is to help me...lol. playing with it now. May get back to ya.

Hayseed - yea the Arne that doesn't know how to spell Arnie looks to be out of the DD so let's ride together - I may have a few others but want to keep it small. This way the rescue folks don't get overwhelmed....

Thanks! See how simple it is to help me...lol. playing with it now. May get back to ya.

Hayseed - yea the Arne that doesn't know how to spell Arnie looks to be out of the DD so let's ride together - I may have a few others but want to keep it small. This way the rescue folks don't get overwhelmed....

A few more sounds great. I hope I don't slow you down too much! I already have a site reserved at Butterfield for the trailer.

Looks like you've got your Google earth to GPX issue solved.

A few more sounds great. I hope I don't slow you down too much! I already have a site reserved at Butterfield for the trailer.

I am beyond bummed about this. I start looking forward to the DD the day after the DD. I think there might be a 5% chance of making it, but odds are very low.

Arnie, FWIW, the Earth to GPX thing seems to work for Mike very well. When he plans a route for us we seem to be right on the line.

Z