Desertrunner

Mounted Garmin Nuvi w/o RAM

My next write up will include riding, I promise. Until then, somebody might find this helpful one way or another.

My little 400 doesn't have a speedo, or any other gauge for that matter. The odometer cable is missing too. So, I use my Garmin nuvi as a speedo/trip meter. However, mounting has been a problem. I don't want to use RAM mounts since I have limited handlebar space and have other accessories planned to fill what gaps remain. So, being the stubborn pain in the rear that I am, I decided on a better solution, at least in my opinion.

I started with this mount since I already had it.

mount2_zpsec7283bb.jpg

Since I use the nuvi on the bike primarily, I sacrificed the suction mount.

Then I found a 1 1/8" wood drill bit.

DSC06610_zpsa4e4094c.jpg

I marked the midpoint on the pad, removed it, then drilled through until I reached the center. The cradle part of the mount fits perfectly into this cavity. I used wire to secure it to the crossbar.

DSC06611_zpsa1486516.jpg

A close up of the wire:

DSC06616_zpsc2fd9b29.jpg

You can see it goes through one side, wraps around the crossbar and comes back up. I twisted the wire with needle nose pliers until I got the appropriate tension, then cut off the extra and tucked the twisted stub in the hollow part. The wire I'm using has proven to be pretty strong, so I am confident one tie will hold it just fine. The mount does not move as it is, although the pad can still rotate.

With that secure, I measured A and B in the following pic to use on the cover.

Editedrulerpic_zps5adc741f.jpg

Next, I transferred those measurements to the cover and cut away.

DSC06624_zps2d10b040.jpg

DSC06625_zpsd17a4155.jpg

I ended up with this. Notice I drew A and B again. You can see what the measurements were for now.

Editedcutpic_zpsaf8812a0.jpg

This type of cut allows it to slip over the cradle mount like such:

DSC06627_zps47030e89.jpg

I ended up with this:

DSC06628_zpscc9abca3.jpg

It looks neat and inconspicuous. The final result with the GPS is such:

DSC06633_zps56d3a3ba.jpg

Also, I made sure to leave room for the charger cable:

DSC06636_zps4fe6cfd8.jpg

And, when I walk away, I can just take it with me:

DSC06638_zps547a4aaa.jpg

So, I now have a self-sustaining GPS, speedo, and trip meter..., it doesn't take up anymore bar space, and it is secure, clean, and inconspicuous. Additionally, the GPS is lower than the ends of the handlebar, so if I flip the bike, I don't have to worry about it contacting the ground unless I hit a rock or something of the like.

Ingenious set up. :coolio: Let us know how it holds up to off-road vibration.

May I encourage you to include some sort of secondary tethering system?

Many have been lost...

Many have been lost...

True- I'm on my 3rd

Many have been lost...

True- I'm on my 3rd

I'll take the advice and rig something up. Admittedly though, I have dropped this one a couple of times and have gotten it wet too. It's been a pretty durable unit.

I've thought about putting one of those Nuvi units on my bike. Looks like it has a good veiw size. How has it held up?

It's held up great. I've had it for a couple years now. Like I said, I've dropped it a couple times and it keeps on ticking. The screen is easy to view on the bike, but its not very functional outside of street navigation. Also, I had a bizarre incident with it shortly after I got it where the speedometer wouldn't work. For about two weeks, it would simply display zero. Just as I was about to return it under warranty, it started working again and hasn't given me any problems since. I don't know what caused it, but I think it might of not been the unit since it was so sudden and has worked reliably for the past year and a half.