Desertrunner

Stalled at a stoplight

Well, I learned a good lesson or two today.

I just finished a full top-end rebuild on my XR400. Additionally, I installed a new clutch. It was patchy today as the clouds rolled through. I decided to take my bike down the road a few miles anyways and work on that "break-in" process. About halfway there it started drizzling. By the time I came back to the parking lot, it was raining pretty good. I waited, but as soon as it let off, it started again. By the time I hit the first stop light, I was soaked. I haven't ridden in the rain much, so I quickly learned how non-waterproof my gear was. My pants were soggy, my pads had gained a couple pounds, and my gloves were soaked; my hands were starting to feel numb.

While I was waiting at the light, I noticed my clutch was fidgeting. Even with the lever pulled in, the bike was creeping forward. Then, PLUNK. It stalled. As expected, the light turned green at just that moment. I quickly checked my mirror to make sure the truck behind me didn't have any misconceptions about my lack of forward motion. I pulled out the good ole kicker in the pouring rain...

First, I had to find neutral... the clutch wouldn't allow it to start in gear. I must have looked funny rocking my bike back and forth while the light was green.

Then, switch feet and first kick...no start.

Second kick... no start.

I looked around at traffic watching me intently and with seeming confusion (it must have seemed like the worst place and time to play with that funny lever on my motorcycle.)

Third kick... a muffled pff, pff.

Fourth kick... and a thunderous roar let me know that the mighty 397cc XR had pity on me.

Surprisingly, the light was still green. I check the anxious cross traffic and took off with a little extra throttle to ensure it wouldn't stall.

So, back to those lessons I learned:

1) make sure to adjust your clutch BEFORE the ride, and remember to account for little slack as a new clutch breaks in.

2) ride safe and prepare for the worst! I would have been better off being a pessimist than an optimist.

3) live and learn. I didn't get myself into a tricky situation and I came away with something positive.

Did you rebuild the XR400 motor yourself? If so did you document the process? I'd be interested to see.

I too stalled at a stop light the other day and was surprised I didnt get run down my the neighborhood soccer moms.

Some pics of the rebuild would be cool to see.

NOT that I always remember this but it is soooooo much easier to find neutral while rolling to a stop in like the last 5 feet. Sitting in Neutral at the light long or short is so much more relaxing on you and your clutch.

I did rebuild it myself. I was too lazy (or rather anxious to get it running) to take pictures. The little 400 is quite simple to pull apart though. Although, this is what it looked like when I pulled the head off:

oil_zps752d243f.jpg

It used about a quart in 200 miles. Funny thing is that the previous owner claimed he had just rebuilt the top end. I had my local shop send the cylinder to a machine shop which bored and honed it .5mm over stock. I installed a piston to match and had my shop cut the valve seats and install new valves and springs. It came out real well. I might post some before and after pics of it as I installed some other goodies on it while I had it apart... rewrap stator, 12v outlet, new fenders and signals, and I still have to lace a new black pro wheel front wheel.

And personally, I feel better with the bike in gear in case I need to move quickly.

And personally, I feel better with the bike in gear in case I need to move quickly.

that is the common sentiment, especially in rural areas

When I kicked my last girlfriend out, I decided to go for a quick ride around the neighborhood, so I just threw on some hightops, jeans, jacket... and went for a 2 hour ride (yes... she got 2 hours to leave :party: ... )

Well, in two hours, it managed to rain just a little bit. As I came up to a red light, I put a foot down, just as the light turned green; I had already seen a car behind me, and knew the would be ready to go... but I stalled it

in a rush to get going, I put my wet foot on the kickstarter, and gave it a full kick- foot slipped off, and my shin hit the peg. OUCH... so I got it started, and went over to a friends house for some ice... pulled the pant leg up, and was looking at shiny white shin for about 5 inches. (bone.. not lack of a tan)

anyway- stalling at a light sucks, but I didn't get back home for 6 hours

NOT that I always remember this but it is soooooo much easier to find neutral while rolling to a stop in like the last 5 feet. Sitting in Neutral at the light long or short is so much more relaxing on you and your clutch.

This is probably the second lesson to learn.. If you are nervous about getting off the line quickly put it back in gear in anticipation of the green light.

The first lesson however would be to never take a newly rebuilt bike out on it's first ride into traffic. Chit 'appens.

That sounds nasty bikeslut. I see your reasoning, but I'll explain mine anyways. Two years ago, while commuting to school, I watched a young girl a few cars in front of me text on her phone in her new civic. In 3MPH traffic, she managed to drive completely off the right side of the road and into a 6 foot drainage ditch. Her newish looking car was on its side in the weeds. Having seen a few of these instances, I just haven't been able to develop much trust towards other drivers, especially in CA. I've been street riding for less than a year, so I suppose I'm still a bit antsy compared to you more experienced riders, but I try to minimize risk wherever possible. Being rear ended is one of my biggest concerns in traffic, hence the reason why I keep the bike in gear and watch the person behind me carefully.

Also, I had already put over an hour on the bike. The clutch just seemed to develop some fade as it broke in, and the engagement point moved too far for the clutch to be fully disengaged with the lever pulled in. It was my error; I should have accounted for it.