Chief Gunner

Well I had to drop the pig off......Motoworld

The guys at Joliet's maintenance day heard the ugly noise my bike was making when I try to start it when it's hot. Well I paid for the extended warranty when I bought it at FBC . Yeah I know "FBC"? WTF? (they were the only ones that had an XR650L in stock when I wanted it). So I called them and all they wanted to do was jerk me off, I never went back after I tried to get the 1st service done there and they pissed me off.

I have taken it to Mottoworld a few times and did get decent service so I called them and explained my situation.

I dropped it off today after work and talked to "Thomas" in Service, he had it figured out in about 2 seconds, told me to tell "Randy" in service what it was and the piggie will get looked at in the A.M.

So the saga begins! I'll keep you all posted.

I had to get out of there 'cause I cruised through the showroom and a Beast caught my eye. Damn, I almost bought a KTM 950 supermoto today! That thing is SWEET.

Dude in sales was like "Go ahead I'll let you take it for a demo ride"

I had to pray for strength to resist so I got the Hell outta there! :lol::lol::lol:

Gunz

motoworld or El Cajon tried to charge a guy 3,700.00 for a simple engine rebuild on a 650l. You could buy a new engine for that! Get the lube ready!!!!

motoworld or El Cajon tried to charge a guy 3,700.00 for a simple engine rebuild on a 650l. You could buy a new engine for that! Get the lube ready!!!!

Ouch!!! you could buy a cherry 2 or 3 year old 650L with low miles for that!!!!

Bum, by the way, you said "tried" to charge. What's the rest of the story???

Hey you Ball busters.... :lol::lol:

Like I said earlier: "I paid for the extended warranty when I bought it", If they give me a hard time or try to BS me it's gonna be "GAME ON"!

"F" me once shame on you, "F" me twice shame on me.........

If they give me a hard time or try to BS me it's gonna be "GAME ON"!

You know I'm right down the street and I've got your back Guns :lol:

Hopefully you won't get the "Oh yeah, we've got to get approval from the extended waranty carrier to order your parts..." B.S. that I've been getting from 3 Brothers :lol: Appearently they fired Tim (indian name-"never returns phone calls") from service yesterday, so I trancended from "O.K., that's cool.." to "Look, I'm starting to look for another dealer to buy my new 690 Baja from and all my riding buddies (yeah that's right, both of 'em) are gonna hear about your crappy service if you guys can't get your s#!t together and get me a fixed bike back soon..." with the new guy Mark. He was pretty accomodating, but we'll see if he can perform...

hijack off

Point- Good luck Gunner, I hope you're riding waaaay before I am :lol:

all my riding buddies (yeah that's right, both of 'em)

I can see being optimistic about getting the bike fixed, but your just embarrasing yourself about having the riding buddies :lol::lol::lol: .

(sorry for the hijack)

Hopefully you won't get the "Oh yeah, we've got to get approval from the extended waranty carrier to order your parts..." B.S. that I've been getting from 3 Brothers :lol:

You have to be careful with those extended warranty things. I've had pretty good luck with them on my car in the past (although a bit of fighting was required). The thing they get you on is modifications. Manufacturers warranties are covered by the Moss Magnuson Act which requires the manufacturer to prove that your modification caused the damage before they can deny a warranty claim. That act does not apply to extended warranties, which are essentially just contracts between you and the provider. Many have terms that say the warranty is voided if any modifications are done to the vehicle. I had one friend with an F-250 that got his transmission claim denied because he had a 5th wheel hitch in the back - hence a modification to the truck!!! The best he could do was get his money for the extended warranty back since it was a recent purchase (used truck - bought the ex warranty when he bought the truck). The warranty company even sent out an inspector to examine the truck before they would authorize payment.

You might want to take a look at the terms of your extened warranty contract so you have the info you need for any potential problems. You'll probably be alright, but I like to be prepared. Call me a pessimist (my wife does!!!!). Hopefully the dealer will go to bat for you also...

Thanks guys :lol: Well It turned out to be the starter itself, not the starter clutch.

Thomas said it was the first one he'd seen go bad on an XR650L....I have heard the same from some of the guys I stay in touch with at Thumpertalk and ADV.

Still being told it won't cost me a dime, 2 day wait now.

Leave it to a damn Sailor (especially a Gunners Mate) They can break anything that ain't supposed to break

:lol::lol:

Thanks guys :lol: Well It turned out to be the starter itself, not the starter clutch.

Thomas said it was the first one he'd seen go bad on an XR650L....I have heard the same from some of the guys I stay in touch with at Thumpertalk and ADV.

Still being told it won't cost me a dime, 2 day wait now.

Leave it to a damn Sailor (especially a Gunners Mate) They can break anything that ain't supposed to break

:lol::D

Do you remember how much the extended warranty cost you? How much did they want for a new starter when you called? You may come out pretty good on this deal :lol: . Ken

If you guys ever need a starter that is not in warranty, I have a friend in the starter business and I can probably help out. I was telling him about gunners problem and he said he could probably get one for about half what they quoted him. KTM starters to. :) Ken

I think the quote from some north county Honda dealer was 460 new, something like that?? :):):)

I think I'm am the only Honda guy here who always breaks something on his bike, and I don't even crash (much :) ) Lets see;

On my 1st ride with you guys I took out my crank case cover (that was $135 for the cover and gaskets and then had to spring for the skid plate). Carguy towed me to the gas station in Warner from Palomar.

At the Desert Dash I wasted a Chain and sprockets...

Corral Canyon ride, I laid 'er down, bent my shifter and broke my clutch lever and Carguy came to my rescue for the 2nd time by giving me a lift home.

My SS after market exhaust split on me, thanks again Bob for fixing that.

I'm on my third set of rear turn signals and fourth mirror. I seem to take them out hitting bushes and tail whipping on trails.

Oh well things are gonna break if you ride 'em hard, it's all just part of the sport :D

now this, oh well if it was not for the luck of the Irish I would have no luck at all.

I hope to have better luck with the next 7,000 miles I put on the Pig :):)

Hey chief, you gotta quit polishing all the metal parts on the bling pig, you are weakining the metal parts :):):)

He is now selling it as a parts bike!

He is now selling it as a parts bike!

I was trying to figure out who you were talking about, but I see know it was "a guy". :) Ken

I have today off and wanted to go riding :lol::) ......piggie is still at the Stealership.

I called them to see if it was ready, they are still waiting on the starter to come in.

I guess I should be thankful that it won't cost me but this waiting thing is starting to get to me.

Where the hell do they get their parts, friggin Siberia?

Bikebandit could've had it to me by yesterday!

Oh well guess I'll go grab a 12 pack and do some yard work. :)

I have today off and wanted to go riding :D:) ......piggie is still at the Stealership.

I called them to see if it was ready, they are still waiting on the starter to come in.

I guess I should be thankful that it won't cost me but this waiting thing is starting to get to me.

Where the hell do they get their parts, friggin Siberia?

Bikebandit could've had it to me by yesterday!

Oh well guess I'll go grab a 12 pack and do some yard work. :D

If you really have to ride, call me or pm me.I have a bike or 3 you could use for a day, you might have fun on the harley :lol::)

gunner... I have a tw200 in front of the house, gassed up and ready to go... key is in it and everything... practice track right out front, even... knock yourself out

25 August 2007 update: Got the pig back yesterday afternoon and went for a little "Pre-run" on the route for the upcoming night ride.

Took them 12 days to get the starter and put it in...WTF?

Oh well at least I did not have to pay, guess it balances out...NOT!

See ya on the ride tonight!

I'm glad things turned out well after all! By the way, I kind of feel better myself after hearing your story... As you know I broke and bent my skid plate on my brand new BMW G650X, braking the banjo bolt causing an oil leak, while on the way to Mike's Sky Rancho. I order the bolt and it took San Diego BMW (great service and cordial) about a week to get it from Germany. I was thinking, I should have gotten an XR650L, easy cheap parts, dependable, unbreakable, cheap to fix etc... Well, I guess there's no industructable dual-sport bike out there, and parts and service issues are there with all brands. So I feel more at ease now... :crazy:

Well, I'm glad both our bikes are working fine now, ready for the next one! :lol:

Motoworld has been working on my 1100 for several months now, and it still leaks oil.

attached is a under the bike shoot, i have oil only under this bike all others are clean.

The bike now overheats and shuts down after i had them do the first service.

I ride it over speed bumps and it shuts off.

post-2482-1192146310_thumb.jpg

Hell at least you get to break yours! :):) My KLR comes with a built in defect called the Do crappy :) I'm just now starting the update at least i'll know it;s done correctly. The Doc.