stoke

Had My First Off Yesterday...

Was just checking the surf up at black's, the torrey pines gliderport. Didn't have enough speed and ran into some really deep sand. Front wheel washed out and I tipped over to my right side. One leg was pinned underneath the VStrom, but the steel sole in the Vendramini boot did it's job and protected my foot. Couple of guys helped lift the bike off of me. Of course, a couple of surfer bros that didn't ride started giving me riding advice instead of helping. Thanks guys! Only broke the right turn signal, and the crash bars protected the bodywork.

Sand continues to present a big challenge for me. What are some of the basics in dealing with it? Seems like using a higher gear than normal and going faster helps, anything else?

up on the pegs, more throttle, practice practice practice. :ph34r:

Most of the time I see people having problems in the sand it's because they close the throttle. On most bikes the compression braking causes the front end to dive.

Stay on the gas even a little and you should be fine. If you have to close the throttle then pull in the clutch to keep the front from diving.

CiD

Great advice guys, thank you! I actually just wrote those tips down and stuck them in my wallet so I can scan them quickly before my next outing.

Most of the time I see people having problems in the sand it's because they close the throttle. On most bikes the compression braking causes the front end to dive.

Stay on the gas even a little and you should be fine. If you have to close the throttle then pull in the clutch to keep the front from diving.

CiD

+1

Also get off the seat and let the bike work under you, it will "float" across the sand better.

Momentum and letting the bike work is the only way to ride the BGSAdv, I am certain it is the same on the 'Strom

CiD

+1

Also get off the seat and let the bike work under you, it will "float" across the sand better.

Momentum and letting the bike work is the only way to ride the BGSAdv, I am certain it is the same on the 'Strom

This backs up everything I've read/been told...really going to work on staying smooth on the throttle and avoid any sudden changes in speed. Now that I think about yesterday, I closed the throttle as soon as I hit that unexpected sand patch. The front wheel just went out from underneath me like someone shoved it.

Yep takes a little practice rolling on the throttle with the correct amount of gas when you need it without over doing it. Also taking corners is a little tricky. Blair Valley is a good practice loop.

Weight to the rear a bit, too. Especially on the Strom.....especially if you have a full tank. The soft suspension up front dives quickly with any resistance. 5.8 gallons riding up there doesn't help. Lean back, little more throttle, stand.

Ask me how I know...:blush:/>

All good tips. I try to stay loose on the bike, let it work under me. Weight the rear more than the front, if you get into trouble, grab a bit of throttle. Keep momentum up. Keep speed up. If you're doing lots of sand - air down.

Best tip I think - go ride lots of sand. It'll get easier, but never easy.

strom in sand es no bueno

I rode mine on some different surfaces, and can really appreciate the folks that can do it... I couldn't

normal sand riding technique didn't help much with a street rear tire; all it did was break traction, and put me back on square one- weighting the front end, which then dives and tucks

I mean... take all the advice offered, but don't expect it to make the bike sand capable... sand possible is all I ever got out of mine

"but don't expect it to make the bike sand capable..."

Obvious Man, well yeah. blink.gif

Keep up the Adventure, eventually you will step off a street bike into the Brave New World of Dirt Biking.

Blair Valley is a good practice loop.

Agreed. Use street tires for fun, additional practice.

575303_10151097473085047_1783100964_n.jpg

Here's a video with techniques

Heheh.....I like how they use WET sand for the demos. I would have liked to have seen some of those techniques used on some of the bottomless sand out there.....

Here's a video with techniques

Heheh.....I like how they use WET sand for the demos. I would have liked to have seen some of those techniques used on some of the bottomless sand out there.....

Maybe some of us could camp out in Blair Valley and do some practice. Pinyon Mountain TT is close and with big bikes we could ride all the way to the squeeze before turning around.

No big bike , but camping at blair is awesome....especially "Little blair valley" in the back.....incredible star gazing....I'd like to make that trip..

strom in sand es no bueno

I rode mine on some different surfaces, and can really appreciate the folks that can do it... I couldn't

normal sand riding technique didn't help much with a street rear tire; all it did was break traction, and put me back on square one- weighting the front end, which then dives and tucks

I mean... take all the advice offered, but don't expect it to make the bike sand capable... sand possible is all I ever got out of mine

agreed...and turning in sand sucks! down the road, I'd like to get a nice little dual sport like that new honda crf250l. would be nice to have something like to hoon around on.

Ok-im no expert, so this advice is worth what it'll cost you

A great sand bike to me is light with a high power to weight ratio...remember all the comments about "power"? The 250L will be light on power, in my opinion

Best sand bike I've ridden to date is the WR450F- if your weight is back and you're staying on the throttle, you'll be steering with the rear

I had a TW200- big balloon tires; you would think it would be great in sand, but no power to lift the front wheel, so you were always steering with the front-

Another thing- try not to turn in a traditional way- slow down while going straightn then power out (for tight turns) and steer with the rear for more gently turns

Tire selection is key too- trials tires are better than I would think, because they have a large footprint- I like a sand tire that is a knobby, with big straight center lugs, almost like a paddle-

Good luck in whatever you choose