rydethis

1983 Yamaha XT550 project...Franknbike (lol)

With the suggestion of Goofyfooter to post this..This is my project...yes project !! LOL A big 1983 Yamaha XT550 Thumper. Going to be fun and would love any advise, suggestions, help or parts ideas anyone might have.

It is going to be fun, already know it has a good motor and trans (has been started) but as Wintyfresh named it I will call it Franknbike (lol) It has been updated with what we believe to be a early 90's yz250 front end and disc brakes as well as a yamaha rear oil mono and disc brakes. I already have bars and controls coming in the mail as well as a couple of other little items. To me it should be fun, got to fab up some stuff like mounting the headlight assembly and redo the rear shock mount. Next up is rebuilding the carb, some tires and other fab work. Going to see what I might be able to fab up for a newer rear fender and tailight (maybe a dr set up as well as newer front light)

Anyway wanted to share

I know she isn't pretty...but I am a sucker for a project and one with potential. Hope to have it out on the trails in a few months but need to finish up another project as well.

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

Looks right up my alley, lots of fun making old things work again. I have a lot of extra bits and pieces around, if you need something hit me up.

Thanks tntmo...I may take you up on that offer. Might be a month before I get any real progress done. I have another friends project that takes priority ! Then this, bit I work on it in between here and there.

I had an XT600...transmission was ok, and I liked the engine a LOT- I hated the suspension and brakes, so it seems like this one will be in the same vein!

Sounds like fun

I've got a DR350 front and rear fender, tank, headlight and seat. Might be able to franken all that crap on there.

Trying to improve those things you hate bikeslut !! Hopefully works....I will pm you tomorrow tntmo.

Reminds me of that cheesy 80's motorcross movie "winner takes all" Love it!!

I have that movie on DVD, and have been itching to watch it lately. Guess it's time for cheesy 80's movie night after work tonight.

[Nice find Tim. I figured somebody would find it.

Awesome...you guys are killing me !!! But considering the 80's are my era it is only fitting :D

I rode my 1983 xt550 yesterday! Not sure how that will help you unless you need to see how something works in person before I sell it, (that way I can buy that 250 from trophy Hunter :) as it is 20 years newer - haha)

Awesome...you guys are killing me !!! But considering the 80's are my era it is only fitting biggrin.gif

Netflix has it on DVD,(but not instant streaming). My profile pic is me on my 77 TT 500 about 1981 in San Felipe Wash at the 78 overpass, near The Blu-Inn, (our favorite campsite at the time !)

I rode my 1983 xt550 yesterday! Not sure how that will help you unless you need to see how something works in person before I sell it, (that way I can buy that 250 from trophy Hunter :) as it is 20 years newer - haha)

LOL, Digging up an old post here, I got rid of this bike as it was more then I was ready to take on at the time. Picked up a good old reliable DR350 instead and couldn't be happier :smile_anim: