StevoDaDevo

Wanted: GPS Route for CA to Cabo

Hey Guys,

Starting to plan a tip to Cabo for early next year with two buddies on Adventure bikes. Anyone have a GPS route that will take us from the California border to Cabo? We're wanting to do as much off-road as possible but not kill ourselves by riding 30 miles of sandy whoops.

looks like Vagabundo might have a track. I'd PM him and see if he can provide...

Once you get off Hwy 1 it's pretty much all off road lol. You can link together routes from Dualsportmaps.com pretty easily.

Old school --Get a AAA Baja map and go for it. :good:/>

Got to watch your gas stops though.

Can't seem to attach a file to give you on here, but if you go to www.gpsxchange.com, then to the baja forum you will seen my post from Nov 2010. We ran the 2010 B1000 course and the went onto Cabo for a few days. This years B1000 went to La Paz again so go to SCORE and maybe try the 2012 course & then grab the last track from La Paz to Cabo. The post is labeled on the xchange......2010 Baja 1000 prerun and ride to the tip.

To get this track you need to only share 1 track on the xchange and then all the library of tracks that people share is opened up to you.

Vegabundo did a pretty tough version (for an ADV Bike) but if my pathetic riding skills can get my GSAdv through the route with only about 8 or nine drops for the trip, anyone can do it!

I have most of the tracks he has but he took a few days to wander and explore, where the route my group took was on a tighter timeline.

Can't seem to attach a file to give you on here, but if you go to www.gpsxchange.com, then to the baja forum you will seen my post from Nov 2010. We ran the 2010 B1000 course and the went onto Cabo for a few days. This years B1000 went to La Paz again so go to SCORE and maybe try the 2012 course & then grab the last track from La Paz to Cabo. The post is labeled on the xchange......2010 Baja 1000 prerun and ride to the tip.

To get this track you need to only share 1 track on the xchange and then all the library of tracks that people share is opened up to you.

Thanks for posting that. Your route looks pretty good.

Are there any areas that I should avoid? We are on big adventure bikes and one of our riders isn't that experienced. So, areas with a lot of sand/silt would be tough for him (and us since we'll be picking him up every 50 feet).

no the 2010 B1000 track was easy. We went down about 3 weeks before the race & just followed the score race course 99% of the time. The reason was I knew everything would be open & marked..but now 2 years later will the tracks work perfect like they did for me?

no the 2010 B1000 track was easy. We went down about 3 weeks before the race & just followed the score race course 99% of the time. The reason was I knew everything would be open & marked..but now 2 years later will the tracks work perfect like they did for me?

All depends on WHO is calling it easy! biggrin.gif

... I know most of the route to Cabo, and in 2007... I'd never send anyone into Bay of LA on SCORE coarse!! Nor up the rocky summit just North East of El Rosario!! NOT for FUN anyway!!

I've got a butt load of tracks for Baja. Old coarse, and other ridable paths. Not sure if they are big-bike approved or not though.

Be careful with old SCORE tracks. They sometimes go through private property and SCORE pays the landowners money for that right for the pre-running and race only. Heck, when we were pre-running for the 500 last year (during the designated pre-running period even), we came across a closed gate. Apparently, the rancher said some pre-runners hit and killed one of his dogs so he wasn't going to let SCORE use his land. It was back open the next day, probably because SCORE ponied up the extra money he wanted.

Spent some time on the phone with VagaBundo and have a pretty great route planned out. I can share if anyone is interested.

Found the GPS routes here: http://www.murdocknav.com/racingmaps.htm

That's a nice collection of routes. Just be advised that if you use SCORE race courses that sometimes they go through private land. SCORE pays a fee to the owner for use of his land during the race and pre-running. I've been face to face with angry ranchers explaining how I took a wrong turn a time or two.

Email sent.

AND... about the "FENCES" or "GATES" on private land;

It's best to ride with OPEN EYES whenever in Baja. More then likely, your on private land... just that there may be no fencing or gates. When you encounter a fence line... respect it. Don't cut it, or try to find a way through it when you need to get on the other side. Also, when you encounter a gate... most are passable (not locked). They are most often for cattle or other livestock. Every now and again, you'll encounter someone trying to charge you to pass... or, saying "no" to passing. But most often, you'll be able to pass through the gate without incident. Just make sure to CLOSE the gate the same way you found it.... and ride as if your being watched. Don't let it all hang out, exhaust loud and rear tire ripping up the dirt... wheelying along! Mellow out, and pay particular attention to livestock. Shift up a gear, and cruise on by not to spook. It's simple common sense. SURE, they are some gates that are there for a reason (to keep you out), but it's rare.

If it were me... I'd be more on the lookout for remote areas where the Ganga is grown. Stay on the trail/road... and don't venture off to a place where it's less traveled. No matter how awesome it may look to ride "over there", resist the temptation. Unless you know for sure, where the pot farms are... and your familiar with the areas to not ride in or around. Stay clear!!

Not all ranchers are after us off-roaders. ;)