KTMrad

Some People Suck - Petroglyph Theft & Damage Near Bishop

ARTICLE LINK HERE

I've stopped at this Petroglyph site many times near Bishop.....this really sucks, some people suck.

Petroglyph thefts near Bishop stun federal authorities, Paiutes

At least four ancient petroglyphs were cut from cliffs at the Volcanic Tableland and dozens of others damaged in 'the worst act of vandalism ever seen' on federal lands in the area.

CVrick- I have a place you can practice shooting... at jerks that deface or damage such a cool site :angry:

did I go too far? :ph34r:

CVrick- I have a place you can practice shooting... at jerks that deface or damage such a cool site

did I go too far? :ph34r:/>/>/>

Naaaahhhh !!!

(sounds good to me) !

someone is trying right now how to link that issue with off road activity.

Sadly, this is nothing new.

When I was actively working in the field, every so often we'd come back to our site and find it had been raided. Could literally be in the middle of nowhere, and still we would be watched. Most of the sites that are accessible to the public have been damaged, destroyed, or in some way altered recently. The best sites, as far as preservation go, are on the military reservations, where they're protected, more or less. China Lake, for instance, has some incredible rock art. But it's not open access to the public.

More than likely the perps will never be found. If they are found the penalty will amount to pretty much nothing. The profit margins are incredible too when selling artifacts.

Oh well. Humans. What can you say.

Think about it, every 1st world museum from London to NY to SD to wherever is filled with plundered ancient artifacts from various "lesser" countries.

We even take and display human bodies and show them in the form of mummified remains from all over the world. Most folks just dont think of it that way.