SnowAviation

Death Valley Daze 2013 - Dual Sport Ride

Ordered a 1gallon rotopax....(borrowed crawdaddys last year for death valley..thanks chris!), will come in handy for tuweep trip in spring also...

FYI - Rotopax now makes a 1.75 gallon can that's more attractive for use than the old 2 gallon can which was waaay too long to mount on the back of your bike......I have ample range with the 1 gallon but might consider picking up one of those cans for a BFE/Baja Run......same locking hardware as 1 gallon since the depth is only a half inch deeper......if I was starting out fresh I might consider going with the larger size....

http://www.rotopax.com/RotopaX-1.75-Gallon-Gasoline-Pack.html

Here is map I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Valley-National-Park-Illustrated/dp/1566953219/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357064147&sr=8-1&keywords=death+valley+map

Also, I have site 112 booked wednesday through sunday night. This is an extra site I will not need. If you want it, please let me know. The total for 5 nights was $90. If no one speaks up in a few days and commits to buy it, I will get a refund.

Here is the GPS file I work from each year (you will need to be a free member to download). Use at your own peril (but it is from Jerry Counts, so it is good).

If someone can help upload this to the dualsportmoto site, that would be great. I don't use DSM (yet) so I am lost.

http://www.gpsxchange.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1917&sid=c9884ecd100fb95ec7669c38a4d8b0a0

Something wrong with that file, MapSource says not a valid MapSource file. There are some tracks already posted on DSM.

http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=107618

Here is the GPS file I work from each year (you will need to be a free member to download). Use at your own peril (but it is from Jerry Counts, so it is good).

If someone can help upload this to the dualsportmoto site, that would be great. I don't use DSM (yet) so I am lost.

http://www.gpsxchang...7669c38a4d8b0a0

I'm out, just scheduled hip replacement surgery for 1/25. I have a site reserved and a room reserved. If anyone wants either let me know or I will be

canceling both next week.

The doc told me no more motorcycle riding, I told him that was not an option " I ride to live and live to ride" a few months off the bike at most.

Covered in Bandages

I'm out, just scheduled hip replacement surgery for 1/25. I have a site reserved and a room reserved. If anyone wants either let me know or I will be

canceling both next week.

The doc told me no more motorcycle riding, I told him that was not an option " I ride to live and live to ride" a few months off the bike at most.

Covered in Bandages

We'll miss you, but if you have to do these things, probably the sooner the better....you'll be good to go by late spring and ready for Utah in July!!!...some of us talked about bike camping toroweep for a couple days, perhaps after Utah?......Get well quickly

A few months ago I reserved tent site 100 from the 31st to the 4th on the off chance my schedule would work out so that

I could enjoy a few days of solitude in the desert. And here I discover there might be some other like minded

individuals in the area that weekend. Imagine that! :coolio:

Final schedule still shaping up but hoping to be there those four days. Given the likely routes to

be explored, any suggestions on whether to bring the KLR650 or the DR350?

Steve

A few months ago I reserved tent site 100 from the 31st to the 4th on the off chance my schedule would work out so that

I could enjoy a few days of solitude in the desert. And here I discover there might be some other like minded

individuals in the area that weekend. Imagine that! :coolio:/>

Final schedule still shaping up but hoping to be there those four days. Given the likely routes to

Steve

Bring both!

individuals in the area that weekend. Imagine that! coolio.gif/>

Steve

Bring both!

Good suggestion.....a variety of terrain and riding options....

I often bring 2 bikes to far away trips....doesn't do any good to have an extra bike in the garage, if one breaks down far from home....

Good points! It turns out I may be bringing a friend (he's close to committing to the trip)

in which case we'll trade off the two bikes between us. If he doesn't come then I'll bring both anyway.

With this being my first DVD (and the first time breaking out the tent in

years) I have a lunch logistics question for those who have done this a few times...

I'd normally have something to snack on plus water during a ride, but do the DVD

rides typically get broken into morning and afternoon with lunch back at camp? Or do

you typically pack something more substantial than a snack and eat lunch on the trail?

Good points! It turns out I may be bringing a friend (he's close to committing to the trip)

in which case we'll trade off the two bikes between us. If he doesn't come then I'll bring both anyway.

With this being my first DVD (and the first time breaking out the tent in

years) I have a lunch logistics question for those who have done this a few times...

I'd normally have something to snack on plus water during a ride, but do the DVD

rides typically get broken into morning and afternoon with lunch back at camp? Or do

you typically pack something more substantial than a snack and eat lunch on the trail?

Im bringing water, cliff bars and beers.

I'm in and getting ready to head out Wednesday. As far as snacks I would bring everything you need for the day including lunch and water etc. some of the loops are long and there ain't no resuppling along the trail for the most part. I would also plan to carry more water than usual and any extra supplies, I like to carry a space blanket in case I got stuck out on the trail, helps to keep the coyotes warm when you snuggle. Seriously though best to be a Boy Scout out there, I.e. come prepared.

It runs the gamut, I've been on half day rides or rides that end up in Beatty for lunch. My last trip we took a loop that left in the morning and we didn't get back till after sunset and didn't see civilization the whole time.

Be Prepared.

pack for the long haul, water water water, brake pads and lots of gas.

The group I ride with leaves after a nice breakfast, then comes back later afternoon, for a nice big dinner.

MOST rides I've done the last 2 years up there are 150-270 mile days.....NO LUNCH , no gas stations....some rides might hit beatty, NV with gas/food, but wilderness rides for the most part........so bring LOTS of fuel for both Yourself and Your bike.....this is a place you want to be prepared.....

Weather looks AMAZING..... :D/>

mid 70's days.....mid 40's nights.....wed til monday.....no chance rain, low wind...(if it truly works out that way, it will be awesome..:party:/> )

Campground has running water, flush toilets......furnace creek central has gas (EXPENSIVE) and a general store with some food, supplies....and a restaurant.....hot showers at pool for $5/day

See you guys there!!!

Alright, Wekert and I are heading up EARLY friday morning and hope to ride Friday and Saturday before turning back Sunday morning. Campsite 77.

Hope to see you guys up there. Deb and Todd, what sites are you in?

Alright, Wekert and I are heading up EARLY friday morning and hope to ride Friday and Saturday before turning back Sunday morning. Campsite 77.

Uh oh... he said early in CAPITAL LETTERS!! OH NOE!

You're driving.

I'm in 114 at the end of camp...see you then!!! we will likely do a loooong ride on Friday, so if we are out when you arrive, see you late afternoon....

I'm in 114 at the end of camp...see you then!!! we will likely do a loooong ride on Friday, so if we are out when you arrive, see you late afternoon....

well hopefully we'll get there early enough to join you. if not, friday afternoon it is. but i'll expect stories!

You're driving.

fine by me. you're insured, right?

First time to Death Valley - Recently moved from Montana to Encinitas. Reserved site 36 for Airstream. Brought trailer to the house from storage yesterday. Last night my truck, Tundra, was stolen right out of my driveway. I have another truck but unfortunately the truck-part of the tow hitch went missing with the Tundra. I still have a bad habit of leaving everything unlocked from 20 years in Montana. Will try a trailer hitch work-around in the morning. If you see a big silver bullet looking thing in site 36 come on over to meet and get a cold beer. If work around doesn't cut it then look for a little orange tent in site 36 and bring your own cold beer. Look forward to meeting and doing some riding with you folks. I will be heading to Furnace Creek one way or another on Wednesday (tomorrow). Fletch

First time to Death Valley - Recently moved from Montana to Encinitas. Reserved site 36 for Airstream. Brought trailer to the house from storage yesterday. Last night my truck, Tundra, was stolen right out of my driveway. I have another truck but unfortunately the truck-part of the tow hitch went missing with the Tundra. I still have a bad habit of leaving everything unlocked from 20 years in Montana. Will try a trailer hitch work-around in the morning. If you see a big silver bullet looking thing in site 36 come on over to meet and get a cold beer. If work around doesn't cut it then look for a little orange tent in site 36 and bring your own cold beer. Look forward to meeting and doing some riding with you folks. I will be heading to Furnace Creek one way or another on Wednesday (tomorrow). Fletch

I know what you mean about leaving things unlocked. I didn't lock my apartment for 5 years before moving to san diego. sorry for the loss of your truck, but I'll keep an eye out for your orange tent or silver bullet. good luck figuring it all out and see you in the dez.

Hope everyone has a great time. If you don't have a map go into the store at Furnance Creek and buy the National Geograpgic map of Death Valley they have, it's a great investment when riding there. I'd rather be riding there than riding my Lazy Boy during rehab but I'll be back in the saddle soon.

Covered in Dust