SnowAviation

Death Valley Daze 2013 - Dual Sport Ride

There is a "Rag Tag" group of Dual Sport riders that make the yearly pilgrammage to Death Valley.

This year we are planning to arrive whenever we feel like it soemtime between January 30th – February 4th

at the Furnace Creek Campground. This is an "un-rally" since the park service does not look kindly on

organized group rides. (Actually they don't mind them but the group organizer must meet all kinds of

requirments that we won't wish to meet (Pay For - Permits, Insurance, etc...)

We are just a bunch of friends who decided to go the same weekend. IF you don't want to camp then you can

stay at the Furnace Creek Ranch or the Inn. Shower and pool access for campers is $5 per day at the Ranch –

which is an easy walk from the campground. There are several of the SD-Dual Sport crowd already planning to

attend, also some from the ADV and the KLR650.net sites too.

There is a thread on the ride at KLR650.net HERE

So, that means no t-shirts, no food service, no raffle, no stickers, no sponsored anything. You get to make

your own reservations and be responsible for your own rides, etc. That doesn't mean this weekend is not worth

coming to, in fact, in my opinion it's some of the best adventure riding in the US!

There will be quite a few people there who are familiar with riding in the park, so buddy up and if they tell

you "oh yeah, the hard part of the trail is over" - don't believe them! Bring good maps! Here is one:

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Valley-N...ath+valley+map Broken

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=death+valley+maps&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4383926415&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=550605&hvnetw=g&hvrand=282772787778666515&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_5zg4fnbl23_b It's probably one of these maps...

Death Valley is best for big bikes. Long gas range is required for many rides. Small KTM’s, etc, are fine but

there is no single track here and again, make sure you have enough gas! There are pavement sections of over 50

miles just to get to some trails.

Campground reservations here:

http://www.recreation.gov

If the ranger asks you at check in if you are with the Adventure riders or KLR650.net, tell them "no way dude,

I just stumbled into here by accident! is there a starbucks nearby?" Also, please respect all park rules (mostly,

don't speed or go the wrong way in the campground or near the visitor center, also don't ride up on the curb at

the visitor center, don't ask me how I know!). The park service are pretty nice guys and gals but please respect

that we are in a National Park. KLR riders are a pretty calm bunch but I just have to say it anyway.

Remember, this is not a rally, or event of any kind. If you are asked by a park service employee if you are with

any group, the honest answer is that you are NOT.

Morning report (roads, weather): http://www.nps.gov/deva/upload/Morning-Report.pdf

Furnace Creek Wx: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ce+creek%2C+ca

Other info: http://www.maturango.org/janetmuseum...athValley.html

--------------------------------------------

Interested. I probably could only make this as a standard drive up Friday, come back Sunday ride but DV is awesome - been there every winter I've had a dualsport (2 ha). I'll keep my eyes on this thread.

Yep I'll be watching this one as well. DV is on my list of places this winter so I'm going one way or another... Would be interested in riding up with any other SD peeps

Lot's of Big Bike Opportunities in D.V.

Death%20Valley%202-05%20047%20backlighting-L.jpg

Death%20Valley%202-05%20057%20auto%20%26%20backlighting-L.jpg

Watch you speed in the park. It is easy to let things get away from you. Ethel and the kids didn't come to see a Racetrack.

cowboy.gif

Thanks for Posting Ed....and Who are you calling "Rag Tag?".:coolio:/>...I've made this event the last 2 years and 2013 will be 3......it is an awesome event, lots of fun riding with variety...hard stuff available for those who are looking for that...epic and vast scenery.....it's not colorado, but death valley has something special...perhaps the spirit of the ancient native Americans or old west miners that lived there?...I don't know. but something?......and the group that goes is an amazing assemblage of characters, great quality people...last year our long day was 270 miles...(think I may truck the 50 miles of pavement to and from the beginning of that one) but well worth it.......

Be at the lowest place in the USA, (Bad Water) and with a short ride to the overlook, view the sierras and the highest peak of the continental US (Mt. Whitney) less than 100 miles west......explore mansons hideout, eureka dune, titus canyon, saline valley, the racetrack, chloride cliffs, geologic and historical sites.. etc..

tracks will be available, and many of us have been there, so if you want to go, post up, make a reservation and join us....don't worry about having someone to show you around....a variety of rides will go on...we usually get together for camp fires...there is a nice inn, good restaurant and bar, store, and hot showers available for tenters....Plan on cold nights....5 hour drive from san diego....It's a Great time... :party:/>

We'll have to keep an eye on this and the calendar open! Been wanting to do DV and doing it with some strangers we just happen to meet in the campground would be AWESOME!

Ooohhh --- very high on my list of places to visit/ride. My last ride through DV was on a road bike on my way from NorCal to Flagstaff via NO Interstates. Didn't really spend any time there, just passed through and way back in '98.

I'm thinking of going ALL IN on this ride and loading up the camper and trailering the bike up and back (too much slabbing - 322 miles each way from O'side). If so, I'm game for anyone joining in (especially if you have a trailer - as I don't). I have an Outfitter Apex 8 cabover camper mounted on a Dodge RAM 2500 MegaCab 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel that can tow a house and very comfortably seat 4. The camper (figuring using it as a "home base")has stove, refrigerator, sink, shower, etc and holds 40 gal of fresh water and recharges batteries from solar panel. Getting a campsite next to the facilities will keep the holding tanks to a minimum. Additional camping gear (tents, bags, etc.) can be loaded in the camper or bike trailer.

I'd like to do all of the days mentioned in the non-organized ride but maybe go up Wednesday or Thursday 30/31 and come back Sunday evening 3rd but I'm flexible.

There are good campsites available 30-40 feet length (the truck/camper needs 23 feet plus trailer) that are relatively inexpensive (about $18 per night). I'm thinking these are going to get snapped up pretty fast so if you want to join me on this, let me know pretty quick so I can grab one. Otherwise I'm going to make my decision on up/back dates and reserve it.

Dan - 996Pilot

F650GS (the dayglo green guy on the last Noob ride out of Ramona)

If like to get in on this again this year.

Definitely bringing the GSA if I can make it. The 650r was more interested in going fast and the WR would have just had it's neck wrung the whole time.

Great Newb friendly ADV ride with some difficult options available.

sounds like a good opportunity to get some quality time with my new 620 adv.

Definitely interested went last year and if u can ride a bike at all I would say there is stuff u can do hear!

sounds like a good opportunity to get some quality time with my new 620 adv.

Pics Or It Didn't Happen

Definitely interested went last year and if u can ride a bike at all I would say there is stuff u can do hear!

Just remember to Bolt On your exhaust....

From the KLR650 forum I have gleaned that sites:

Will be occupied by non-participants in the festivities for the non-event. Those 15 sites represent

about 25 folks, not a bad start. There are likely to be more considering some don't post up their

site #'s.

This is what the southern section of the campgroud reservations look like now.

Brown is reserved and blue is available. http://www.Recreation.gov

Campground.jpg

Interested. Will have to check schedule with work. When will exact dates for the non organised happen to be in the same place at the same time event be known? I will probably have to book a few days off, so need a week or two in advance to get the request approved.

Interested. Will have to check schedule with work. When will exact dates for the non organised happen to be in the same place at the same time event be known? I will probably have to book a few days off, so need a week or two in advance to get the request approved.

Me too wekert. I was going to shoot for taking/requesting Thursday (1/31) & Friday (2/1) off at a minimum at this point and hitting the slab early Thursday? Looks like you have book tent spaces as well so I may just go ahead and do that just to get something on paper - any & all will be welcome to setup camp. I'm all in on this...

I go every year, this year I will be there once again, 7 days

When will exact dates for the non organised happen to be in the same place at the same time event be known?

The core days are Jan 30 - Feb 4 some will arrive sooner and some will leave later, like bluefin2na and his 7 day adventure

Linky for mappy no worky

Fixed...sorta.

It's got to be one of these maps http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=death+valley+maps&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4383926415&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=550605&hvnetw=g&hvrand=282772787778666515&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_5zg4fnbl23_b I got the original link from someone else and don't recall which actual map he recommends.

Secured campsite 27 Wednesday nite thru Saturday nite. 40' site with bench/table two sites away from head. My camper takes 24' don't know about a trailer yet. So far I'm going alone but I put the reservation in for maximum 8 people and 2 vehicles.

Dan

The 10 gal super tanker will be making in flight re-fueling available.... at market rate, LOL

Site reserved. Ya all ready... Lets do this!

Ordered a 1gallon rotopax....(borrowed crawdaddys last year for death valley..thanks chris!), will come in handy for tuweep trip in spring also...

Ordered a 1gallon rotopax....(borrowed crawdaddys last year for death valley..thanks chris!), will come in handy for tuweep trip in spring also...

+1 for Rotopax. Worked great for me at LABV2.

Small hijack, but for those that didn't know. Just Gas Tanks is here in Oceanside (AKA North Coast Motorsports) and they have a small store front and give a "locals" discount plus no shipping if you pick it up there. I got my rotopax stuff there and IMS tank for my WR, some Ogio and Wolfman stuff too. I'm not affiliated just been treated really good there and like using local shops.

It's back in a business park area near Navy Federal Credit union North of O'side blvd between college and Rancho Del Oro drive.

Back to regular programming.