Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crusty

Anyone using a Garmin 78 I need a review

Guest Crusty

Found it at West Marine fro 199.99 till 12-31-2012

http://www.westmarin...MCFal7QgodMFkAy

Geocaching-friendly handheld GPS with wireless data sharing

Garmin has updated the popular GPSMAP 76 with the new GPSMAP 78 Series, powerful marine handheld units that now feature color mapping, a high-sensitivity GPS receiver and a built-in MicroSD card slot for loading additional maps. A whopping 1.7GB of built-in memory provides cutting-edge performance, and you can also add maps from Garmin’s wide array of detailed marine BlueChart g2, topographic and City Navigator road maps. Plus, the 78 Series supports BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, and is compatible with Custom Maps, free software that transforms paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps for your device.

Like earlier generations, these new handhelds feature the same soft-key interface but with a sleek easy-to-hold design with rubber side grips. The “s” models also add a three-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass, which shows your heading even when you're standing still. Each unit features a worldwide basemap, and the 78Cs comes with built-in BlueChart® g2 coastal charts for the U.S. And with the 78 Series, you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other compatible devices. So whether you're kayaking, fishing or just cruising around, the 78 Series has everything a mariner needs. They’re completely submersible and float if dropped overboard.

• Display Type: Transflective 65K color TFT
  • Screen Size: 2.6"diag.
  • Screen Resolution: 160 x 240
  • Cartography: BlueChart® g2 preloaded cards, City Navigator NT®; Supports BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (subscription required); Compatible with Custom Maps
  • Receiver Type: High-sensitivity
  • Battery Type: 2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended
  • Battery Life: 20 hours
  • Dimensions: 2.6"W x 6.0"H x 1.2"D
  • Weight: 7.7 oz.
  • Waterproof: Rated IPX7 Submersible, and it floats
  • Interfacing: High-speed USB and NMEA 0183. Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data). Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units)
  • Included Equipment: Wrist strap, USB cable, manual
  • Warranty: One year

Guest Crusty

DigDug has a 78. It's geared for a more savvy end user not a newbie. There were also some firmware issues when it first came out......that said, if you can snag one for ~$199 "I'd" do it as opposed to the 76Cx for $150

Go here: http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=617828

Thank's Crawdad,

Looks like the 62CSX at Costco for 250.00 is the way to go.

DigDug has a 78. It's geared for a more savvy end user not a newbie. There were also some firmware issues when it first came out......that said, if you can snag one for ~$199 "I'd" do it as opposed to the 76Cx for $150

Go here: http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=617828

Thank's Crawdad,

Looks like the 62CSX at Costco for 250.00 is the way to go.

I'd snag a 76 or 78 before getting a 62.....the 62 only has a micro usb on the back - no bueno. Also, the antennas on 60/62 snap off....

O. K.

78 it is.

Thank's Crawdad!!good.gif

Crusty, did you buy one yet?

I've been researching too. I just noticed West Marine has a $10 coupon code, thereby making the 78 $189, just FYI. It's good till the 17th.

Hello all, looking at grabbing the 78 as my first dual sport GPS. Wondering if you actually get trails on the map or does it only show actual roads? Is it kinda like google earth and you can search while you ride and see smaller trails?

Thanks.

Keith

.....Wondering if you actually get trails on the map or does it only show actual roads?

That's a function of the maps you load into it......the base map that comes with it won't show much detail......the 78 allows you to scan in trail maps (like Ocotillo Wells Trail system or ?) and effectively use that as a basemap in that area......very cool feature but you have to be a bit tech savvy to take advantage of that feature......DigDug set his up that way.......

You can/should buy at least one set of maps to supersede the lame basemap.....the options available have varying degrees of detail.....

Check the Garmin Website:

City Navigator NT(actually pretty good....contains more off road/trail info than you'd think and if it shows a road/trail you can bank on it being there......not so with some of the older/discontinued maps): https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=1456

Topo West (nice to have but I rarely use it.....I don't like the topo lines clogging up my screen): https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=35407