X-country-Rider

Need help changing chain and sprockets

I'm up to 30K on the Tiger 800XC and its time to change the sprockets and chain. I'm wondering if anyone could possibly help and walk me through it. Its something i'll have to do annually with the amount of miles i'm riding and would like to get comfortable doing it myself. I'm ordering the kit from here There's some advice exists on ADV Rider but would rather do it the fist time with someone that has already done it multiple times instead of going it alone (that came out wrong).

Craig

I can help you Craig but I do not have a chain rivet tool if you are using that style chain as I use master link chains. I do have a chain breaker but that's only half the job.

I likely have the tools necessary to get the job done.

Never done it before but it is likely pretty basic.

If no one chimes in that has experience with it send me a note and we will figure it out.

George

suspension101@cox.net

Ok just ordered the set . I had to call them because they only offered 46 through 49 teeth of the rear sprocket via the web site. They got me a 50 for the rear but it bumped up the price to 195 vs 190 quoted on the site. That was because it was a better quality sprocket than what comes in the kit according to the guy on the phone. He said he'll put an extra master link in the kit incase we screw it up. Nice guy.

It's actually pretty easy to do. You need to make sure you have the proper size socket to remove your countershaft nut.

Many times, you can reuse the washer to hold the countershaft nut on...but after changing the sprocket a couple times, it's good to put on a new washer (if your bike uses that type, where you bend over the washer to hold the nut in place).

Hey x-country I just read an article on this , it looks like a real good chain tool is really a help. I'll call my snap-on guy to see whats available. I did a chain in the desert on a tailgate without the proper tools once, I don't recommend that.

I have a complete RK Chain Tool kit which breaks the chain and installs the press-on or rivet type master link.....it's not your typical 2 in 1 chain tool.

You are welcome to borrow it.

As far as working on it with you, hell...I don't even motivate to work on my own bikes enough :lol:

X, I must say you got 30k out of your first chain, including dirt riding ? Wow, that's good. But with more dirt riding, I doubt you'll get that much out of the chains anymore. I suggest buying the top of the line chains on the bigger bikes...the cheap chains don't last. Last chain I bought for the 950 cost me about $170.

Craig - if you can pick up Randy's tool...blink.gif we can get er done - that master link is handy in your tool kit - I carry a couple sizes in mine just in case. I remember riding your bike and thinking a little lower gearing would make a great bike better so this is good!

If I recall doesn't your bike need chain and sprockets too Randy? We can swap yours at the same time.

If I recall doesn't your bike need chain and sprockets too Randy? We can swap yours at the same time.

Nope. I paid Jim Martin at Martin's Motos in Santee to change the oil and chain/sprockets on my 950 since I was being lazy and wasn't gittin' 'er done.

Anie, I think you're thinking of my tires....both front and rear :unsure::lol:

Craig - if you can pick up Randy's tool...blink.gif we can get er done - that master link is handy in your tool kit - I carry a couple sizes in mine just in case. I remember riding your bike and thinking a little lower gearing would make a great bike better so this is good!

I wouldn't use a clip type master on that size bike... when you use the tool on the master pin, make SURE you get a good spread on the pin, or else it'll pop off under torque

I wouldn't use a clip type master on that size bike... when you use the tool on the master pin, make SURE you get a good spread on the pin, or else it'll pop off under torque

Yeah the guy on the phone said a clip master was only good to ride it to a shop.

Arnie,

I'm going to have Dakota take video while we do it and see if i can edit it to make a how to video for anyone else that wants to change the chain and sprockets. I can't be the only one that would like to learn how to do it themselves. When shall we plan to do it? The weekend after Thanksgiving maybe?

It's actually pretty easy to do. You need to make sure you have the proper size socket to remove your countershaft nut.

Many times, you can reuse the washer to hold the countershaft nut on...but after changing the sprocket a couple times, it's good to put on a new washer (if your bike uses that type, where you bend over the washer to hold the nut in place).

This is a post from ADV Rider

Its a 36mm nut and the std chain is 122 links for the XC and 120 links for the roadie.

There is a lockwasher crimped on to it.

I just changed the front sprocket -1T to a 15 tooth.

What I did..

remove 8mm bolt holding gear shifter.

remove 2 x 8mm bolts holding sprocket cover on.

Un-crimp the lockwasher carefully.

slide on the shift linkage temporarily*

put in neutral and get someone to operate the rear brake

I used a rattlegun to remove the sprocket nut - its on tight with threadlocker.

removed lockwasher

take off shifter linkage again

slipped the chain and sprocket off the spline without adjusting the chain tensioners - there is about 35mm of slack and you can rotate the sprocket as you remove to gain some slack - sounds odd but when your in there you will see what needs to happen.

put on new sprocket - tip fit chain to sprocket to chain THEN slip both on spline again get some clearance by rotating the sprocket same as when removing.

put on lock washer BUT don't crimp it there yet.

threadlock sprocket nut, install to 85Nm (93ft/lb) torque and crimp lock washer again.

adjusted chain tension to 35mm slack.

lubed chain

replaced sprocket cover used threadlocker on bolts.

replaced gear linkage bolt - use threadlocker here too.

Took for blat and enjoyed the extra pickup and low speed rideability.

Completely agree about the rivet master link on the big bikes.

The weekend after Thanksgiving works for me. Do you mean 24-25 or 1-2? Either way is good.

I'll tell all the cute young girls in the neighborhood that Dakota will be in da HOUSE!

Completely agree about the rivet master link on the big bikes.

The weekend after Thanksgiving works for me. Do you mean 24-25 or 1-2? Either way is good.

I'll tell all the cute young girls in the neighborhood that Dakota will be in da HOUSE!

I was thinking of the 1st of December.

Pretty sure I have a 36mm socket but will double check. Might be wise to get a new lockwasher from Triumph. Usually can reuse them but it should be cheap. Then if you need to reuse it on a trip it will be good.

Hey I'll join as well. I love wrenching on stuff and have a good set of tools.

I have the 800/800XC FSM just in case.

Let me know when and where.

Bryan

Hey I'll join as well. I love wrenching on stuff and have a good set of tools.

I have the 800/800XC FSM just in case.

Let me know when and where.

Bryan

Cool you might want to try a 15 tooth as well if your interested more low end grunt.

Do you know how much it takes off the top end?

If you abuse the throttle it will cost at the pump i'm told. So i'll be slowing down on the commutes.

Hey X I have a 36mm, let me know , you can P.U or I'll swing by. Do you need thin wall or will thick wall impact work?

Hey X I have a 36mm, let me know , you can P.U or I'll swing by. Do you need thin wall or will thick wall impact work?

Thanks Champ i just ordered This one from sears. I need it on my tool kit anyways.