Todd Whiteside

"Practice" grounds? recommendations?

Hey all - I've finally got some time to kill and as a relative nOOb I'm interested in getting a bit of "drill" work in on the (big) bike this weekend - specifically some practice in loose conditions (varying levels of sand, etc.). Basically I've been reading/watching a lot of material on technique and I'd like to... well... practice. Can anyone offer some recommendations on some potential good "practice" grounds in the SD area? I'm not all that knowledgeable of the desert riding areas but I'm thinking something like a dry lake bed or something that might have both harder and softer areas so I can work my way around as technique/comfort level improves, etc. I realize it might be kind of a dumb question given all the desert areas and trails around but it would be super helpful if I could avoid spending a day hunting around for a fairly wide open space to practice... so I figured tapping into the collective experience of this group is the way to go :) GPS coords, OHV areas, TT's I'd welcome any advice...

Also if there are any other nOObs out there interested in a day of practice by all means give a shout... at the very least its always more entertaining picking up bikes in the company of others hehe

Todd, where are you located? You're on a big bike correct?

Check out the Halloween Hangover nOOb ride thread for noob and big bike friendly trails you could try

Going with others is a good idea, I know some people who rode on Sunday want to hit the dirt again soon.

Another Mission Hills member! Yes!

Big bike is a bit more difficult. I just had my first dirt ride on the big bike earlier today- we rode Otay and environs. It's not what I'd suggest- I did it because I'm a little familiar with the area and had buddies to ride with.

Corral Canyon will work- better yet, Pine Valley and play on Bear Valley (a dirt road). As you get better on the dirt road, you can start with some of the side trails, then later into Corral Canyon.

I live in Mission Hills here in SD proper. Trust me I saw that Halloween nOOb ride and was super bummed I couldn't make that ride on Sunday... even more bummed when I heard about the turnout and the good times that were had. I'm leaving my calendar open from here on out and NOT missing the next one :) I think I saw a link for map/tracks in that thread somewhere, I'll dig through it again for sure and see if there's a spot that seems right. I know it sounds corny but in finding a good spot for actual drill work. I've watched a few DS videos and it would super helpful to find an area that I can practice in a semi controlled fashion... I don't know if thats even really possible but regardless I was going to start on the route from this past weekend for sure...

oh yeah and I'm on a '12 GSA. I've done a few long weekend trips up to the southern Sierra's (in and around Sequoia NF) - mostly TT and fire roads, etc. and had a blast (even by myself). I'm not super interested in really technical stuff that the lighter bikes thrive on but would definitely like to get more comfortable on looser conditions.. would like to practice in a somewhat controlled fashion like they do in some of these rider training courses (if that's at all possible)

Corral Canyon will work- better yet, Pine Valley and play on Bear Valley (a dirt road). As you get better on the dirt road, you can start with some of the side trails, then later into Corral Canyon.

Right on... good stuff Paul - will check it these areas out for sure

Nice! I'm not the only one! Passed a guy near my neighborhood the other day on bike KTM so I was hoping I wasn't the only one amid the sea of scooters :lol: now theres proof!

Cheers man

Big bike is a bit more difficult. I just had my first dirt ride on the big bike earlier today- we rode Otay and environs. It's not what I'd suggest- I did it because I'm a little familiar with the area and had buddies to ride with.

The "9/30 nOOb ride" could work, you would hit Japatula Valley Rd then go up Otay, staying on the main roads.

Bear Valley (the trailhead starts at the parking lot off the Pine Valley exit along the 8 freeway) is roughly 10 miles each way I think. You could try that and take the loop back (avoiding Kernan Cycle Trail). IMO thats a slight step up in difficulty over Otay.

I couldn't see where you lived while on mobile. I'm in PB. If I can get my TW jetted in time, I could meet you at Fiesta Island (sshhhh) for a lap around the island later this week.

PM me with your email and I can send you noob friendly gps tracks.

EDIT: just saw that you've done a some southern sierra fire road rides. Otay is all fire roads. Bear Valley could be fun but its short. Depending on your comfort at Bear Valley check out Pine Creek, then you could go to Julian then Mesa Grande to Black Canyon etc etc. Lots of fun options.

I don't know my way around Corral so I'll defer to someone who knows more than I.

I know it sounds corny but in finding a good spot for actual drill work.

Not corny whatsoever.

I say Bear Valley is a road- it is, but not well travelled and it has a variety of surfaces. That gives the advantage of riding someplace more interesting than drills, but is varied enough to give your the practice you're wisely seeking.

I disagree with Goofy (respectfully, of course) about Otay being easier. Most of Otay is marbley over hard pack- I hate that stuff.

Tood- north side of MH or South side (where the cool people are)?

Todd when are you looking to ride? Post up some possible dates and maybe people can join in the fun

Todd when are you looking to ride? Post up some possible dates and maybe people can join in the fun

Looking at heading out this Saturday 11/10 or Sunday 11/11 (or even both!) So if anyone's looking for a ride and quite possibly watching me practice my GSA pickup technique a few times let's do it. (j/k I'm not THAT bad hehe)

north side of MH or South side (where the cool people are)?

we're on the waayyy North Side, tucked right up against the canyon and definitely less "cool" than the SS (love the Aero club) hehe Interestingly enough we just moved from PB (ie. your turf Goofy) - that was the wifes call and lets just say she had to drag me from there :heh:

Sounds like I got a pretty good ride in the making if there are any takers out there give a shout!

You know for wide open space, soft , hard I would just go down to Ocotillo, start in the town and go any direction (maybe try east 1st by Plaster City), there is big flat areas, old race track and plenty of varied terrain.

Oh yeah and there is refreshments in town too.

we're on the waayyy North Side, tucked right up against the canyon and definitely less "cool" than the SS (love the Aero club) hehe Interestingly enough we just moved from PB

Ah.

North Mission Hills = La Jolla

South Mission Hills = PB

I am a former (use authoritative voice) Mission Hills Town Council Trustee and work out at Pioneer Park 3-5 days/week at 6am.

Looking at heading out this Saturday 11/10 or Sunday 11/11 (or even both!) So if anyone's looking for a ride and quite possibly watching me practice my GSA pickup technique a few times let's do it. (j/k I'm not THAT bad hehe)

This weekend I will be in the desert, camping on a dry lake bed. It makes for good practice, and of course there is the rest of the desert terrain to explore also.

The dry lake bed area off wheeler road (superstition area) is the perfect place to practice. I've taught several kids to ride down there, it has everything within a mile radius. Dry flat lake bed, sandy areas leading to full blown sand dunes to the north. Whoops for miles if you want them, rocky 2 track to the west. Truly a great place to learn (or practice).

+1

I think Bear Valley road is in great condition for entry level big bike riding

those conditions will be compromised once the rains hit so get out there sooner than later

its fairly close and very accessible / Pine Valley exit off the 8

20+ miles of riding there and back - more obviously if you look for it

I would be happy to join you if interested

I would agree that Otay is on the list as well, though as Paul mentioned it can be a little slippery so breaking and clutch skills come into play almost immediately

the road up from Thousand Trails is in the best condition I have seen in a long time, but from the summit onwards can be loose and slippery

For varied terrain I vote for McCain and Lark Canyon OHV...a long fire road to get there, a couple of great overlooks, some sand, two track p, whoops, singletrack, all really close to each other

For varied terrain I vote for McCain and Lark Canyon OHV...a long fire road to get there, a couple of great overlooks, some sand, two track p, whoops, singletrack, all really close to each other

Yeah, I thought about McCain/Lark.

But too much sand for big bikes.

I know what you're saying; but I figgered most of the sand was close to the staging area, and therefore a good place to practice...the whole stretch of sand is only about 300 yards and wide enough to practice turning (or turning around)

Tons of great info here, thanks all this is exactly what I needed to save a weekends worth of hunting around. I'm definitely keen to check out the Pine Valley/Bear Valley ride, that definitely sounds like a fun/reasonable area. I'm thinking Saturday (weather permitting) I'll hit up the Ocotillo/Plaster City/Superstition area (recommended by HotRod82) for some drill work - I came across that in my studies, fairly wide open, varying levels of terrian and good practice area, sounds about right. Sunday probably head out to Pine Valley/Bear Valley road ride, bought some maps of the Cleveland NF a few weeks ago and been meaning to take a day and hit that area anyhow. Definitely want to steer clear of tons of sand until my comfort level increases and I get a proper set of knobbies on the bike next week but as long as I get out there I'll be happy

Anyone interested in heading out just give me a heads up!

Tons of great info here, thanks all this is exactly what I needed to save a weekends worth of hunting around. I'm definitely keen to check out the Pine Valley/Bear Valley ride, that definitely sounds like a fun/reasonable area. I'm thinking Saturday (weather permitting) I'll hit up the Ocotillo/Plaster City/Superstition area (recommended by HotRod82) for some drill work - I came across that in my studies, fairly wide open, varying levels of terrian and good practice area, sounds about right. Sunday probably head out to Pine Valley/Bear Valley road ride, bought some maps of the Cleveland NF a few weeks ago and been meaning to take a day and hit that area anyhow. Definitely want to steer clear of tons of sand until my comfort level increases and I get a proper set of knobbies on the bike next week but as long as I get out there I'll be happy

Anyone interested in heading out just give me a heads up!

As I said, I'll be camped at Superstition right on the dry lake bed. If you plan to head out that way, I'll have cold drinks and a place to rest for a bit.

As I said, I'll be camped at Superstition right on the dry lake bed. If you plan to head out that way, I'll have cold drinks and a place to rest for a bit.

Right on Tom - sent you a PM - hopefully see you out there!

WARNING! yes I'm shouting, if you go to ocotillo wells and try to ride to ocotillo on the road by the tracks to get to the dry lake bed look out for Silt and sand! Ask Wildwood about the silt (dirt sky, dirt sky), me I just crashed.

Ocotillo and Ocotillo wells are two different places and you have to go down Banner to get to Ocotillo Wells.

The dry lake bed is highly recommended.

6 month ago I bought a KTM 530. The plan was to learn how to ride a duel sport within a year. The things I did that seemed to help were:

ride it somewhere, even if it's just a dirt road, once or twice every week. and as far as drills go, I set up 4 cones (soda cans or rocks) in about a 20 or 30 yard square and circled them till I could slide around them.

also I drew a line in the dirt and practice riding over it till i could do it without the front tire touching it, a small 6 or 12 inch wheelie.

I felt pretty corny doing these drills but 6 months later i'm feeling pretty froggy about this sport.

I live 2 miles from Pine Valley, I need practice, and I have a flexible schedule so post up, I'm always lurking

6 month ago I bought a KTM 530. The plan was to learn how to ride a duel sport within a year. The things I did that seemed to help were:

ride it somewhere, even if it's just a dirt road, once or twice every week. and as far as drills go, I set up 4 cones (soda cans or rocks) in about a 20 or 30 yard square and circled them till I could slide around them.

also I drew a line in the dirt and practice riding over it till i could do it without the front tire touching it, a small 6 or 12 inch wheelie.

I felt pretty corny doing these drills but 6 months later i'm feeling pretty froggy about this sport.

I live 2 miles from Pine Valley, I need practice, and I have a flexible schedule so post up, I'm always lurking

Right on CJ - looks like I'll be heading out to the Superstition Mtn area for some drill work like you mention then might hit up PV Sunday possibly. I'll give you a heads up here before Sunday if the plan sticks... Cheers