murrdogg

No start

I will try and make this short and to the point... I have a 1999 XR650L, it would not start for me the other day. So, I finally was able to toy with it. After looking at several forms, I noticed the CDI Box could be the issue. So, I went out and bought a new one and it is still not starting. Prior to the new CDI, I would turn the switch on, and would not be able to get lights to turn on. Now that I have the new CDI in, it still is not getting any electic to the lights. I just finished checking for the correct conntinuity on everything that it could be. Everything is well within the range according to the manual. Does anyone have any ideas on what it may be? I even checked the wires coming out of the switch.

I dont have the electric diagram in front of me. I guess I would start at the fuses. If all good look at the electrical diagram and see what fuse/switch is in the circuit. I dont remember if the kickstand safety switch would cause the lights not to work as well as not starting.

Guest Crusty

My 2005 XR 650L had that same problem 3 years ago, I used electric cleaner and compressed air to clean the starter switch, on the handle bars.

Fixed it.

With electrical problems such as this, it makes sense to always start with the Grounding circuit. Go back to the battery and assure yourself that your positive and ground wire connections are clean and very secure. Trace them to make sure there is no worn insulation on the positive side and that the ground wire is fully intact from battery to its final destination. If you have a Volt/Ohm meter (you can pick one up cheap at Harbor Freight or an auto parts store) put it on Ohms reading and touch the two test lead ends together - the meter should read zero (or close to it). Now you can put one lead on the negative side of the battery and touch the other lead to various point on the bike that have bare (uninsulated) metal (Engine casing, frame, etc.). The meter going to zero (or very near zero) will tell you that there is a good connection between the areas you are testing. I'd start with the obvious then drill down from there.

+1 on the Grounding Checkout. Also, sometimes voltage at rest can be deceiving. Hold the meter on the battery while turning key on. If voltage collapses, you have one, a dead battery or two, a dead short. A dead short could be from rubbed off insulation at a friction point.

Crusty's switch cleaning is the first place to start.

Think how proud you will be once you fix this. bb.gif

I had a similar issue this year with my DRZ400. First it was intermittent stall and wouldn't fire. Then it wouldn't start at all. I spent money on a new CDI and stator before finding a dead short in the head light wires at the bulb fixture. It had broken off where it solders in at the contact plate and was making contact with the outter metal housing. Not easy to find. Definitely check the circuits for grounding before spending a ton of money on parts.

Thank y'all fr your reply. I will have to check my swicth, due to it being the only thig I did not check yet. As for all the other recommendations, I had went out and bought a new multimeter just because of this to try and figure it out before I spent the money on a mechanic. But everything is with in the limits according to the manual for the bike. I will do the kill switch tomorrow tnight after I get home from work. I will let y'all know what happens from there. Thank you for your input and time.

Murrdogg95

No luck. I pulled the start switch off and cleaned it and put it back on. It didn't fix it like I hoped it would. So, now I am back at sqaure one.

i would start with the basics, as in tear everything off that's not essential and start it up. then start plugging things back in one at a time. i'm guessing you have a powered wire that's grounding out somewhere. check your pos wires to ground for continuity.

What part of town are you in?

What part of town are you in?

I live over in Lakeside in military housing. My alerts on here are not adjusted right, that is why it took me so long to get back to you.

Ok, update time.... I finally got it fixed, yeah... Bagstr, you my friend were correct on a DEAD Battery. I did not check the battery with the switch on at all. After I tried everything I could think of, thinking the battery was good, I finally went and got a new one and put in. Now I'm up and running and ready to get a little ride in soon.

Thank y'all for your help. I just wish I would have listened to Bagstr sooner. Hope to meet up with some of you while I'm in town to get some riding in.

Murrdogg