paulmbowers

New bike in the stable

After much consternation and consideration, I'd decided a few months ago a new (to me) bike was in my future. But a lot had to be done- first no place to put it. That meant a total garage remodel, covered elsewhere on this forum.

Next, I had to ride one and thanks to RiggahDan I had the opportunity in Utah.

Finally, the Minister of Finance provided her stamp of approval (no- encouragement!) and I began my search. Many hours of pouring over CL and hunting resulted in exactly what I was looking for- a very low (617 miles) mileage, white 2011 990abs- it was a KTM demo and was at a dealer near Seattle. A flurried negotiation followed, booked an flight, shipped all the gear, the saddlebags, the electronics a week in advance, then off to sunny (HA!) Seattle Wednesday the 24th.

Bike is near new/perfect, with an obvious scratch or two on the right guards- no big deal when compared with my intent for this beast.

Did paperwork, spent an hour loading, wiring, mounting and then hit the highways. I only had a few days to get back, and I was able to ride some of my old road-hooligan tracks, including US101, visit the wine country for a gastronomical pilgrimage to Bouchon and Ad Hoc, then the best stuff- Highway 58, Peach Tree, Indian Valley, and 33. Weather sucked for the first two days, then cleared at Garberville, and beautiful thereafter. Bike ran near flawlessly, and I arrived home safely Sunday morning after 1600+ miles. I had to skip MANY good roads, not to mention it was all street riding.

Here's some pretty pictures:

8135697386_fcfb4053db_c.jpg

8135695956_bb284f2b04_c.jpg

8135668011_f5a9cd6ae3_c.jpg

8135697168_cfaa431dae_c.jpg

8135668565_1dec7ebcde_c.jpg

8135695628_5ace07b074_c.jpg

8135668237_a2a2b07aa3_c.jpg

8135695282_03d080cd2d_c.jpg

very, very nice. quite the first plunge, more than tripling its mileage in just a few days. congrats!

Superb. Congrats.

Keeping the 540 for desert romps or are you a one bike man?

Keeping it.

Gotta have something for Roger to tow and you to haul out of the desert.

One would think you were a photographer or something... :party:

A couple of those pics look straight out of our very own " Mesa Grande ".

Thanks for sharing your travels down the coastline. Its on my list.

Love the bike.

PMB,

WE had no idea, you were in need of a new ride. coolio.gif

Don't It, feel swell? Enjoy the Ride..

Personally, the White looks neat. cool.gif

Visualize the Scene. The architecturally correct garage door opens to an unsuspecting alley. Out Rolls a Man. A Man in Black,,,,on White. Whoa, Impact. Golly, is he a lucky man, or what?

Wow Paul, never expected to see you on one of those. Congrats !

Now, for trips are you going to truck it out from your house, or ride it from your driveway ??

Me, you and Carguy need to get the big bikes out....and Kris from Britain is here again now, he's got a 990. We need to do a Big Bike Ride for SDAR people with the big ADV bikes.

Maybe this Sunday for Goofy's Ride ? We'll have a separate big bike group if we want.

How did you like it in the twisties ? You did a lot of good roads on the way back, some of my favorites.

Now, for trips are you going to truck it out from your house, or ride it from your driveway ??

Me, you and Carguy need to get the big bikes out....and Kris from Britain is here again now, he's got a 990. We need to do a Big Bike Ride for SDAR people with the big ADV bikes.

Maybe this Sunday for Goofy's Ride ? We'll have a separate big bike group if we want.

How did you like it in the twisties ? You did a lot of good roads on the way back, some of my favorites.

Thanks.

It's a not-so-secret secret that my background is street bike/sport touring. I rode BMWs for years, several track schools (including Laguna Seca), toured the Alps (Germany, Switzerland, France, Italy) in '96 etc. In the late 80s as editor of the "Road Signs", the monthly BMW club newsletter, I changed from a typewritten xeroxed format to "desktop publishing" on a Macintosh SE. That was our internet forum, and politics never made the pages.

So after a day or so the skilz came back to me pretty quickly, and I was quite able to hammer the 990 pretty hard, especially on 58/PeachTree/IndianValley. Had a blast, enough that I remembered I gave up riding the streets when I became a family man and stay-home-dad. While it's good to let the hooligan dog out now and then, I don't have enough self-control and maturity to make it a habit. Unfortunately, I ran out of time and had to leave Cerro Noroeste for another day.

I also learned it's not good form to brakeslide into a turn on the street, not to mention impossible on an ABS bike. Just for fun I pulled off on the gravel shoulder and stomped on the rear brake...wwhhoooooo nobrakesyikes! Still use the rear brake too much and the front not enough.

Goofy's n00b ride would be perfect, but the family has other plans that day.

Some rides I will leave from the garage, others I'll trailer to avoid boredom- we'll see. I'm intrguied by the Butler Map Utah ride from Arizona to Idaho.

And then there's Colorado....

Great looking machine, Paul! Can't wait to see the places it will take you.

Paulmbowers - sweet looking ride! Fly and buys are a fun way to go.

HEY!! I'm sitting right here.... Just because my big twin has a high fender doesn't mean she doesn't want to play too..... biggrin.gif Just had lunch with Kris and he is ready to go!!

HEY!! I'm sitting right here.... Just because my big twin has a high fender doesn't mean she doesn't want to play too..... biggrin.gif Just had lunch with Kris and he is ready to go!!

Arnie, does that mean I get to try the SE on Sunday ? Oh oh, I'm a scaared.

Well of course - I do have a wedding (people still do that?) to go to on Sat in La Jolla and if we don't get drunk and stay the night I will be there - which means I should be there...I can't afford to drink in La Jolla.

Well of course - I do have a wedding (people still do that?) to go to on Sat in La Jolla and if we don't get drunk and stay the night I will be there - which means I should be there...I can't afford to drink in La Jolla.

OK, Hijack OFF.

Paul, looking forward to seeing your bike and going for a ride. I'll take it easy on you the first time out :lol:

congrats on your new bike, but what a way of getting one. That is flying to get it and go on a multi - day trip to bring her home, that is the best way I have herd so far on how to by a new bike.