Sneeker

6 Hours Due North @ 80mph

If you want a quick 3 day weekend ride in wilderland you really don't have to go that far to find some REAL lost country.

Last weekend we made the journey North.

DAY 1

We saw these guys out there for a few mile and later some pronghorn antelope.

DSCN3363.JPG

The Sierra Safari group ride was going on our first day, we threaded our way past their group for a few miles. http://www.dickallen....com/index.html I can't imagine paying $$$ to have someone lead you around. Half the fun is piecing together the trails and logistics, then seeing if your ride works out. Gas mileage was our biggest concern out there.

The weather was perfect, rained and snowed the night before. No dust, all the sandy sections were firm, basically hero dirt.

Once we turned east there was nothing but sage, pinyon and big sky.

DSCN3366.JPG

Huntoon valley

DSCN3367.JPG

Down in the valley

DSCN3369.JPG

DSCN3368.JPG

DSCN3371.JPG

Some rocks for lunch

DSCN3373.JPG

Half way point, heading back

DSCN3375.JPG

Warning of coming rain over the distant Sierra

DSCN3377.JPG

Boundary Peak

DSCN3378.JPG

Day 2

DSCN3379.JPG

Last time we came this way ( Oct 2010) the big pass had this issue. Day one would have been this way. Luckly not on day two, as predicted.

post-3850-035482500%201290200939_thumb.jpg

This time the weather was clear, blue bird, perfect, hero dirt, no dust, little snow.

DSCN3380.JPG

DSCN3381.JPG

Distant Sierra

DSCN3383.JPG

A lot of mining around here. All the historic activity makes for cool relics, confusing trails, some of which end in sudden deep shafts and death holes.

DSCN3385.JPG

DSCN3388.JPG

DSCN3387.JPG

You have me Hooked. Reel me in. blink.gif

I like to write a mysterious thread, and the clues are there. Too many hours went into developing the tracks to give it up right away! ;)

Down in the desert

DSCN3389.JPG

DSCN3390.JPG

Back up into the moutains

DSCN3391.JPG

Fall is the best time. Late October is dicey. Next storm will plug the passes with snow for the season.

DSCN3394.JPG

Back down the mountain

post-3850-066524200%201290191267_thumb.jpg

Back at camp

post-3850-016620100%201290276610_thumb.jpg

Wish I had more pictures but thats all.

One thing I realized on this trip is that shooting OK pictures takes time, and this is time taken from riding. I really respect those that can do it effortlessly on the fly. I'm often torn between knocking out the miles and smelling the flowers. We only rode half the miles we planned to.

Huntoon Valley - TopoQuest

I will work on the project.

dirol.gif

beautiful trip. we need some start and stop locations for reference. 6 hours north isn't much of a hint.

Great pics, thanks for sharing them. I hear you about the pics stealing riding time. Always wondered if the resolution on Gpro's or Contour HD's is good enough to do captures and have a still come out decent. That would be one good reason to own them.

Great pics, thanks for sharing them. I hear you about the pics stealing riding time. Always wondered if the resolution on Gpro's or Contour HD's is good enough to do captures and have a still come out decent. That would be one good reason to own them.

They do fine for snapshots, but are wide angle and you have to scroll through a bunch of video to find a good shot (or you can set it to take stills and press the button...)

One thing I realized on this trip is that shooting OK pictures takes time, and this is time taken from riding. I really respect those that can do it effortlessly on the fly. I'm often torn between knocking out the miles and smelling the flowers. We only rode half the miles we planned to.

I think we all have that problem, I know I do......

Seems like every 100' is a different perspective and worth taking a picture

never seem to have enough pictures when I get home from a trip

the weather looked great and the trails look awesome

Thanks for sending the tracks over..............................good.gif

Great ! Nevada IS the lost country. It's different, but in a good sorta way. You can just go on for miles and miles, days and days if you want to. Perfect big bike territory also.

One thing I realized on this trip is that shooting OK pictures takes time, and this is time taken from riding.

Had I taken a camera to Utah, we'd still be there.