Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

XR1200 Riding in the Sierra

OK, this is a year old write-up....I'm catching up on posting stuff :rolleyes:

Last October, I had to work in Reno for 4 days and had a day off in between, so I trucked up with my Codyboy and the XR1200 in the back of the truck. On my day off, I took Cody to a local pet-sitting place, and took off into the mountains on my XR1200.

Went up towards Tahoe, then towards Ebbetts Pass (route 4 across the Sierra Nevada). I have been up to Ebbetts Pass quite a few times, and earlier that year was there on my 950 in June.

Here it is on my XR1200 in October....

r2-L.jpg

COMPARISON PICs - earlier in June same year....

1037441-L.jpg

1037442-L.jpg

1037443-L.jpg

Back to October......

r3-L.jpg

r1-L.jpg

r4-L.jpg

r5-L.jpg

r6-L.jpg

IMG4582-L.jpg

IMG4583-L.jpg

Sorry for all the XR posing photos, was just trying to get the best angle...and this was my first ride on it outside of SoCal, plus it's such a purty motorcycle.

IMG4599-L.jpg

This is one of my favorite passes in the Sierra Nevada...the road is tight, twisty and steep grade going up. In parts, the road is not much more than 1 lane wide.

IMG4600-L.jpg

r7-L.jpg

r8-L.jpg

r9-L.jpg

IMG4601-L.jpg

r12-L.jpg

r13-L.jpg

r14-L.jpg

Pacific Grade Summit on Ebbetts Pass....

IMG4602-L.jpg

IMG4603-L.jpg

IMG4604-L.jpg

IMG4605-L.jpg

IMG4608-L.jpg

r10-L.jpg

r11-L.jpg

IMG4609-L.jpg

IMG4610-L.jpg

IMG4611-L.jpg

I wanted to keep going, but had to turnaround to get back to Reno. I stopped to chat with this guy Machek. He had an accent, so I asked where he was from....originally from Poland, living in San Francisco, out for a few day jaunt on his bike.

IMG4612-L.jpg

IMG4613-L.jpg

IMG4614-L.jpg

IMG4615-L.jpg

IMG4616-L.jpg

Yeah, I'm a poser :rolleyes:

IMG4618-L.jpg

IMG4619-L.jpg

Heading back down the steep grade....

IMG4620-L.jpg

IMG4622-L.jpg

IMG4623-L.jpg

IMG4624-L.jpg

IMG4625-L.jpg

Almost down to the 395....

IMG4626-L.jpg

Man, I was pushing it for time. I had spent longer than I expected up on Ebbetts Pass. I had to be back in Reno by 6pm to pick up Codyboy at the pet sitting place. I had a lot of miles to cover going up the 395 in a short time. I had to make a decision to either take a chance of getting a ticket while haulin' ass to get there in time, or not take the chance and then I definitely would not make it there in time and Cody would have to spend the night there. So, I took the chance....and I was movin' up the 395, even thru the small towns I had to haul....got back to the motel at 5:55pm and picked up Cody at 6:05pm just before they closed the doors. Whew....I made it.

Here's some comparison pix of what Ebbetts Pass looked like earlier in the year, in June when I was up there.

This is the same lake as the first few photos with the XR....frozen and covered by snow.

1037444-L.jpg

More pics of what it looked like earlier in June, same year.....

1037445-L.jpg

1037452-L.jpg

Quite a difference between these photos in June, and the XR1200 photos in October of the same year....

1037454-L.jpg

1037457-L.jpg

1037458-L.jpg

THE END

OK Randy, I know the Harley is Purdy and all, but how does it stack up to the 950 on Hwy 4?? bb.gif

OK Randy, I know the Harley is Purdy and all, but how does it stack up to the 950 on Hwy 4?? bb.gif

Dave, the 950 handles a bit better in the really tight stuff...otherwise, the XR is fine, I had a blast on the XR on route 4.

Local riding, I go faster on Engineer Rd. (tight road by Cuyamaca) on the XR than I do on the 950. I got used to the XR and how to work it to so it cuts thru the corners better.

Just to clarify, the XR1200 is the BEST handling stock Harley ever made for the street.

I love the XR and have tons of fun riding it.