KTMrad

SDAR Bike Nights ?

Seems some people are interested in having SDAR Bike Nights...so am looking for input.

This doesn't have to be anything formal.

I'm thinking we have a North County one, a San Diego area one, and an East County one....your thoughts ?

Also, how often....once a month, twice a month, etc. ?

One a month, different location each time ?

Will people go ?

I think this would just be a social gathering....nothing formal like the shops have at their bike nights. Also, your thoughts on this.

We'll still have our club meetings every few months (we're due for one in October), and maybe we shouldn't have an SDAR bike night during the summer when the other shops are having bike nights during the summer.

Thoughts and input on all of the above please.

Thanks !

I don't have anything specific to contribute other than my agreement that we should have one. Perhaps just cycling it from North County, SD, and East County and perhaps doing it once a month, say the 2nd Tuesday of the month, or something.

Instead of a bike night how about a monthly ride.

I used to do Newb rides and this was a great way to get new riders in the group and let people actually make riding buddies not based on internet discussions.

I would gladly throw my experience in this realm on the table.

Will people go ?

My guess is no....

Most dualsport bikes have crappy lights that may or may not work.

Many folks, myself included, have no interest in riding my dualsport bike to work and/or after work on a 100% evening/pavement/week night ride.....

Monthly/noob friendly/weekend rides that rotate from place to place would be a good alternative......I hold periodic/noob friendly rides out of Ramona from time to time.....AAKTM would gladly host a Sat ride....

SWEET!!! Monthly or quarterly, and move it around so all have the opportunity of convenience. Get input on fave places to meet :party:

P.s. you don't have to ride your bike.... Cars will get ya there too ;)

Will people go ?

My guess is no....

Most dualsport bikes have crappy lights that may or may not work.

Many folks, myself included, have no interest in riding my dualsport bike to work and/or after work on a 100% evening/pavement/week night ride.....

Monthly/noob friendly/weekend rides that rotate from place to place would be a good alternative......I hold periodic/noob friendly rides out of Ramona from time to time.....AAKTM would gladly host a Sat ride....

Who says you have to ride to bike night ? It's more of a social gathering than anything.

Monthly rides ? Who's going to lead a monthly ride ? It will be difficult to have people commit to that.

A friendly gathering at a bar/restaurant is much easier.

Will people go ?

I'd say no. I could be wrong but look at the number of SDAR attendees to much larger and well promoted bike nights. Shops hosting these events have a financial incentive (advertising) to promote the events. I think its cool that SDAR members meet up at these events and in a way create their own mini bike night separate from the larger event. Why compete with larger pre-established events? I think everybody's schedules are too packed as is.

That being said if somebody wants to organize it right on! Good friends, food, brew and bikes = win.

We'll still have our club meetings every few months (we're due for one in October), and maybe we shouldn't have an SDAR bike night during the summer when the other shops are having bike nights during the summer.

I do like our club meetings and enjoy catching up with people there. The meetings turn into real SDAR bike nights anyways with people talking about gear and bikes. I appreciate you organizing them Randy and am looking forward to the next one.

I'm with SteelRain and Crawdaddy on more "open invite type rides." I'm doing the nOOb ride on Sunday (I realize its the triathlon that day) and hope to do more nOOb friendly backcounty rides. I'm game to lead a Ramona to Desert Ride when its cooler and reincarnate Kkug's "Polar Bear Ride" from Warner Springs to Anza. Its been summer so most of the posted rides have been short morning rides in the OHV parks. There have been some epic rides in places like Utah and the Sierras but now that its getting cooler, I think we'll see more people getting out and enjoying dual sporting locally in San Diego.

I'd really like to see a tech day before the fall riding season. I realize though that somebody has to step up and host the event. The last tech day was back January before the Desert Dash and was hosted by the one and only Schwinn. I don't have the space to sponsor a tech-day but I'll bring my motorcycle jacks, tire irons, pizza and brew!

Who says you have to ride to bike night ? It's more of a social gathering than anything. A friendly gathering at a bar/restaurant is much easier.

Then call it "SDAR friendly gathering at a bar/restaurant night" :heh:

I agree with Goofy and Crawdaddy and just have more friendly rides. The faster paced and deep sand rides will have warnings...

As for a maintenance day anyone can always volunteer my place..I have the lift, tools and room and a way to get free sandwiches and potluck help always turns it into a feast.

I always like to do 1 just before the Desert Dash to try and have people ready.

Should we do one in the near time as it cools down I will be chasing dirt again. My KTM 690 is already prepped and so is the Honda CRF 450R.

My ZX 1200 needs a chain and both sprockets and a oil change. But its rideable and am lazy...lol

We had a local gathering from ADVRider for a while, advertised the hell out of it, probably a dozen or so folks said they were interested. Three of us showed up. Then it was the same three next week. And the same three. and the same three. and the same 3.

And then we said the hell with it. LOL.

Informal meet and greets are fine, but regular meetings don't seem to work. Then again, just saying that x night at x place is a designated meeting place for SDAR could work too.

I'll vote for the Hennessey's in Vista. Since it's close to me, and I have no problem taking advantage of that fact. Or Ringers in Bonsall. That way we can show off to the local biker crowd, which can have the potential to get interesting.

I've been working night shift most of the last 4-5 years.....lets have SDAR bike day!

Monthly/noob friendly/weekend rides that rotate from place to place would be a good alternative......

AGREED.....soon the weather will be tolerable, I think we will see more day rides and weekend camp and rides...

Ramona, Warner springs/Anza, Borrego, Otay/border etc...

Perhaps also have more evening gatherings/social hours/SDAR meetings.....every other month?.....everyone seems to enjoy them....some with guest speakers, some just to socialize...

Anybody else ever consider a bike night at Cheetah's?

Might just be me.

:hmmph:

I guess that pizza place is good.

I think quarterly club meetings is good; we seem to have a good turnout and talk club business...and always get a bit of socializing in

Noob rides are always good too...a number of guys (too many to mention) (and not excluding gals...mimi leads her share too) schedule them regularly. As we are, first and foremost a "riding club" these should continue as well (thanks goofy for this weekends ride; I may join you and ride sweep/take pictures)

Like most; my schedule is very full, and its hard enough to get a weekend ride and a quarterly meeting in

Instead of a bike night how about a monthly ride.

I used to do Newb rides and this was a great way to get new riders in the group and let people actually make riding buddies not based on internet discussions.

I would gladly throw my experience in this realm on the table.

:good: