CL300CAPT

Garmin 76CX question

Just got my new 76CX. Hardwired it the other day, uploaded the tracks for the upcoming Bar 10 ride etc...

I think I already know the answer to my question, but want to throw it out there anyway. It seems the base map and preloaded info on a new unit won't help me find gas, food, lodging, addresses etc... I've searched through the unit and it apparently doesn't have it. So I went to Garmin site and for a mere 80 bucks I can download the City Navigator data. So am I correct that's what I need to search for these items? Any place to buy the data cheaper?

CL300CAPT

Romney/Ryan 2012

No that I know of. I have the expanded topo map pack for SW California and it's got that sort of data. You could get on Dualsportmaps and see if someone posted that data for the area you're looking at riding. You won't be able to download a huge sum of listings, but if all you need is a dozen options then that might suit your needs.

If you have the Garmin Maps you can search for these items.

I bought it with the lifetime updates for $30 when my Local Sears was closing (you buy a card then activate online)

Great tool in the US but I find the best solution is ti use Google Earth and create a custom maps with the info you want then just import that to MapSource/BaseCamp. All the data will come through as waypoints.

CalNub, do you use the topo maps? Like them?

SteelRain, using GM sounds like a good idea. Is it difficult to figure out?

With basically a 100 mile range on DRZ400, I'd like to know where gas is in a pinch! Or maybe I'll break down and buy a big tank someday.

Just got my new 76CX. Hardwired it the other day, uploaded the tracks for the upcoming Bar 10 ride etc...

I think I already know the answer to my question, but want to throw it out there anyway. It seems the base map and preloaded info on a new unit won't help me find gas, food, lodging, addresses etc... I've searched through the unit and it apparently doesn't have it. So I went to Garmin site and for a mere 80 bucks I can download the City Navigator data. So am I correct that's what I need to search for these items? Any place to buy the data cheaper?

CL300CAPT

Romney/Ryan 2012

Yes, City Navigator allows you to "find" pre loaded waypoints for gas, food lodging, etc, and create "autoroutes" to get you there.....

I can put some maps in your hand held at Primm/Bar 10 but it'll just be a map set......no preloaded waypoints or routing capability

yes i use them, but no I don't like them. the topo lines add way to much clutter to the already limited screen so it becomes difficult to see the track you're supposed to follow. the color screen helps, but not quite enough. I'm tempted to take the topo card out and just use a larger SD card.

yes i use them, but no I don't like them. the topo lines add way to much clutter to the already limited screen so it becomes difficult to see the track you're supposed to follow. the color screen helps, but not quite enough. I'm tempted to take the topo card out and just use a larger SD card.

I agree with CalNub. I have topo on my GPS but it's really only there in the event I breakdown and have to hike out (in which case the elevation changes would be of great interest).....otherwise I leave the topo map off.......I generally turn "off" City Navigator and turn "on" Roads and Recreation when exploring off-road.......it's an old/discontinued mapset that hasn't been maintained for YEARS......therefore many of the roads/trails that appear on that mapset are also no longer in existance, not maintained, forgotten. overgrown......perfect for dualsport exploration!

The upside of City Navigator is that if it shows a road/trail it WILL be there because that mapset IS maintained......you don't have that assurance with Roads and Recreation.

As I wrote earlier, I'll squirt some roads and recs maps into your GPS when we head to Bar 10 next week.....that'll be "good enough" to get you by and there's no unlock code issues with that old/discontinued software....

CL300CAPT

Romney/Ryan 2012

You are correct.... City Nav 2013.10 has what you need.