Strega

60 Minutes Intereview

I just watched this 60 minutes interview, and wow, very impressed. Not impressed that someone was killed, it's definitely not about that. Listening to a Navy Seal talk about what happened was really amazing. One interesting thing he mentioned was that when Osama was shot, the point man saw the two women in the room, he ran towards both of them taking one under each arm. He pulled them to the other side of the room as fast as he could in case either of them was wearing a suicide vest. So if one of them was wearing one and had detonated it, it would have diminished the damage it would have done to his team. I can't even imagine that level of commitment, that's impressive. The guy that wrote the book, did so under an alias, and did so because he thought the focus should not be on him, but on the events that morning. I'm definitely going to pick up the book.

While I in no way would diminish the commitment and absolute huevos grande it took to pull that off, I would have to guess most of his reasoning behind the alias and makeup during the interview is....

He didn't want his entire family killed.

If those bastards will carry out the massive attack they did on our country, they wouldn't hesitate at all in taking out him and his family for having a part in ending the life of their leader.

Remember to fly THE FLAG tomorrow!

Remember to fly THE FLAG tomorrow!

I hope this isn't hijacking as theres been enough of that already

but I remember that day like it was yesterday

heres the pictures I was to capture during the fall of the north tower from the roof of the Javits Center

post-14289-038503700 1347286788_thumb.jp

post-14289-059601400 1347286792_thumb.jp

post-14289-078070200 1347286795_thumb.jp

post-14289-014913800 1347286799_thumb.jp

post-14289-047643300 1347286802_thumb.jp

post-14289-055182200 1347286807_thumb.jp

truly an unbelievable moment in history

I was "AT SEA" when word came over CH16 to switch and listen channel 21Alpha. I did, I was carrying over 25 passengers. My heart sank out and as Captain of a U.S. vessel

I had to tell our passengers, after calling everyone in the galley a man came up to me and said a few words, we then went into the pilot house where he broke out a SAT phone, asked me to leave my pilot house for a moment. A feeling came over me as i have never been asked that before, I stepped out, He made a call where as 30 minutes later a U.S. Navy Copter shown up, A navy SAR man jumped out swam over, a harness was drop on a cable, the guy was hooked and and away he went. The navy SAR was next.

All U.S. Vessels were asked to return to port that day by Coast Guard San Diego, When we came in we dropped the pick (Anchor) just inside SD bay. It was dark and chatter was all over the radio, we could not enter the bay until cleared by US coast guard personal. It was a very long night.

While coming in, we turned on the T.V. to see what was going on. T.V. was in and out with the roll of the vessel. yeah, it is a day to remember forever.

FLY THE FLAG

Yeah, that was a pretty cool 60 min. He said all his fellow soldiers support him, but I find that hard to believe. It's such a secret society, so I can't imagine they all support a book being published about the mission. Especially if the Pentagon is correct and it releases classified info and puts fellow soldiers in danger.

Either way, I love hearing about these missions, so I plan to buy the book. That's if they don't pull it before we can buy it. These guys simply amaze me!

"I had to tell our passengers, after calling everyone in the galley a man came up to me and said a few words, we then went into the pilot house where he broke out a SAT phone, asked me to leave my pilot house for a moment. A feeling came over me as i have never been asked that before, I stepped out, He made a call where as 30 minutes later a U.S. Navy Copter shown up, A navy SAR man jumped out swam over, a harness was drop on a cable, the guy was hooked and and away he went. The navy SAR was next."

Curious, did you ever find out who the guy was? Must have been important?

He said all his fellow soldiers support him, but I find that hard to believe. It's such a secret society, so I can't imagine they all support a book being published about the mission.

It was said on the news this morning that many seals DID NOT support this. He was doing it just for money and recognition. If you really wanted to remain anonymous you would not go on national TV. Comment from the reporter that the other seals feel that they now cannot tell their stories because he told every ones story as a whole.

I feel this was not a good thing to discuss. He stated that they went in and shot everyone without knowing who they were. Kind of a bad policy as what would happen if not Osama.

It was said on the news this morning that many seals DID NOT support this. He was doing it just for money and recognition. If you really wanted to remain anonymous you would not go on national TV. Comment from the reporter that the other seals feel that they now cannot tell their stories because he told every ones story as a whole.

I feel this was not a good thing to discuss. He stated that they went in and shot everyone without knowing who they were. Kind of a bad policy as what would happen if not Osama.

In the interview, he said the majority of the profits were going to be donated to charity. *shrug*

I'm sure other guys could tell their stories about the event, as each guy would have a different version of what happened. Kinda like the book Black Hawk Down. That book was written by Mark Bowden about the entire raid, but a follow up book called "The Battle of Mogadishu" came out with 6 of the operators telling their own individual stories from that day. Both were really good books from a civilian standpoint, and have had a few guys in the service say the latter book was a good one.

Also learned that a few news agencies found out who he was and published his name. Assholes. =\

According to the interview, in the first engagement, they returned fire on someone shooting through a metal door. Bad guy shot first, they returned fire. That was one of Osama's couriers.

The 2nd was Khaled, Osama's son. The point man saw him stick his head around a corner, and retreat, so he whispered, "Khaled", and he stuck his head around the corner again and he would no longer have the ability to do so.

The 3rd being Osama.

I'm anxious to read the book.

I just read the interview this morning and was equally impressed. Should have the book by tomorrow and am sure it will contain even more riveting details.

The entire SOF community to include NSW is completly against the release of this book regardless of "spoken" intentions and donations. All charities named in the book have denounced the book and will NOT be accepting donations from Mr "Owen". While Matt was on that mission he was not the only one and his book speaks for the community and other operators without their consent and w/o clearance. Timing is everything, now was not the time. My $.02 and please forgive the rant.

Also learned that a few news agencies found out who he was and published his name. Assholes. =\

To a certain extent yes - but he put himself on front street and is just plain stupid if he didn't think his true identity would be published.

Just read the book "No Easy Day" over the course of the last 2 days. Great read, I'd highly recommend it. Not only does it give a good play-by-play of the the demise of OBL. It also gives some really interesting background on the elite Seal teams.

"I had to tell our passengers, after calling everyone in the galley a man came up to me and said a few words, we then went into the pilot house where he broke out a SAT phone, asked me to leave my pilot house for a moment. A feeling came over me as i have never been asked that before, I stepped out, He made a call where as 30 minutes later a U.S. Navy Copter shown up, A navy SAR man jumped out swam over, a harness was drop on a cable, the guy was hooked and and away he went. The navy SAR was next."

Curious, did you ever find out who the guy was? Must have been important?

Yes, and we are close friends today, and yes he is

Looking back on this, when they initially said in the media that it was 'Seal Team 6' I was rather shocked our Government gave up that information. Seems like that right there would put a LOT of operators and families in serious danger by saying who it was that carried that out. Not real smart. =\

Also read today, a 2nd charity has declined receive any donations that come as proceeds from book sales.

Good video here: "Dishonorable Disclosures"

Sounds like the Obama Administration ignored the OPSSEC briefing for political gain.

The entire SOF community to include NSW is completly against the release of this book regardless of "spoken" intentions and donations. All charities named in the book have denounced the book and will NOT be accepting donations from Mr "Owen". While Matt was on that mission he was not the only one and his book speaks for the community and other operators without their consent and w/o clearance. Timing is everything, now was not the time. My $.02 and please forgive the rant.

No need to forgive the 'rant'. Appreciate your comments. After reading up on this for the past few days, I'm just astounded at how much leaking of information has happened with the current administration. That sucks.

Yeah.

We all know Bush stopped putting men and women in harm's way once he declared "Mission Accomplished".

Not defending Obama, but Republicans have been starting and fighting wars for years for political gain.

Not defending Obama, but Republicans politicians have been starting and fighting wars for years for political gain.

Fixed it for you.

Better, yes.

And look at all those WMD we captured. Well worth the lives, right?

Oh.

Wait.

And look at all those WMD we captured. Well worth the lives, right?

Funny story there. My recon unit had out Chemical Detection Tape change colors when inside a warehouse. We MOPP'ed up and called our NBC (now CBRN) guys in. The emptied shells in that warehouse had residue from chemical weapons on and inside them.

There were a few instances like that with several recon teams. However, the active weapons were never found. There is a reason that the last page of my medical record states "Exposures Iraq"

Exposures.jpg

On another note:

Why did this need to become a political thread when the subject was clearly something totally different?

On another note:

Why did this need to become a political thread when the subject was clearly something totally different?

Ya, everything is political this time of year. No way around it. Especially with this kind of topic.

Political agendas on all sides with this one.:dead:

For whats it's worth...... As a couple of you guys know I'm former Navy EOD. I just got off the phone with a close friend of mine from the SEAL Teams. As the rest of the country now knows 2 of the Americans killed in the attack in Benghazi were former Navy Seals now working security for the State Dept. Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods. Word is that Glen and Ty fought to the last round and took well over 100 of the bad guys with them before they were over whelmed. Obviously I dont know if this is direct Intelligence. I got it second hand, but having served with and knowing how these warriors past and present operate, I have no doubt that it's true. A little reminiscent of the 2 Delta snipers that went in alone to protect the Downed Black Hawk in Mogadishu. True Warriors.

For whats it's worth...... As a couple of you guys know I'm former Navy EOD. I just got off the phone with a close friend of mine from the SEAL Teams. As the rest of the country now knows 2 of the Americans killed in the attack in Benghazi were former Navy Seals now working security for the State Dept. Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods. Word is that Glen and Ty fought to the last round and took well over 100 of the bad guys with them before they were over whelmed. Obviously I dont know if this is direct Intelligence. I got it second hand, but having served with and knowing how these warriors past and present operate, I have no doubt that it's true. A little reminiscent of the 2 Delta snipers that went in alone to protect the Downed Black Hawk in Mogadishu. True Warriors.

The two Delta's were Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart (Medal of Honor recipients). Both of them volunteered to be dropped in to protect Mike Durant (Super 64) after he took an RPG to the tail boom and they knew that backup wouldn't come for a long time. The bravery of these men is off the charts. Seals, Deltas, Rangers, PJ's (etc), they all have such a high level of dedication to their service & their brothers.