dirt dame

The BMW ride....well it started out that way

I decided to join the ride that was staging out of BMW of Escondido. There were a few other smaller non-touring sized bikes there amongst the large turnout for the day. After the first 40 miles, a group of us with the enduro style bikes decided to split off from the main group and head for more trails. Bald Beemer, Dirt Diva and Diva's Pit Crew made up part of the crew. Also, Dave (not sure of his forum name), a guy on a Husaberg and one other who was also from North County. We had 7 riders to start with, and went down Hixon trail. By the time w got part way up Bee Canyon, we lost our Husaberg rider. We decided to ride up Indian Truck trail and head to Jo Ann's for lunch. It was where the BMW group was supposed to stop for lunch, but they never arrived while we were there. Dave had to head home after lunch, so then there were 5 left. No DS ride in this area would be complete without a side loop through Enchanted Canyon. It was late in the day, so we did the bare bones loop without the side trips. After that, everybody split up, a couple wanting to do more dirt on the way back, and others just slabbing it back. Admittedly, I'd just as soon pack my bike up and tote it up to Anza to start my ride, as there is too much pavement otherwise. Still, it was a great day, good company and 220 miles on the odometer.

I only took one picture during the day, at my favorite venue, Enchanted Canyon.

IMG_1231.jpg

And one of the group was nice enough to take a shot of me in the same spot, on the trail just before it heads west up that rocky steep trail that leads up out of the south end of the canyon.

IMG_1234.jpg

it was a great day, good company and 220 miles on the odometer.

Thats a big day....Never been to the enchanted canyon

gotta put that on the list

Mimi, Thanks for the tour of the area. Got to really see what my limits are on the new bike. Got pretty tired coming out of Enchanted Cyn which made things even more challenging. We had a good group with zero mechanical issues or flats. I believe the others on the ride was TSR (Yellow DRZ) and CL300Capt (Black DRZ). Sorry I don't have pics to contribute to this thread.

A lot of peep,s were beat by the time we did Rouse Ridge with the big bikes.So the ride started to break up when we got to the highway. A few of us went to the Steer and Stine in Hemet.

A realy big turn out for the ride.my guess 35-40 bikes.

Great riding with everyone. I wish that I rode the 450 so I could have done the more technical stuff with your group!

A lot of peep,s were beat by the time we did Rouse Ridge with the big bikes.So the ride started to break up when we got to the highway. A few of us went to the Steer and Stine in Hemet.

Great riding with everyone. I wish that I rode the 450 so I could have done the more technical stuff with your group!

So....I'm guessing that no big bikes at all, ever made it to Idylwild. :unsure:

Looks like at least for this time, little bikes were the correct ride to get the job done. :coolio::party:

Was good to get back out and ride with SDAR folks again. Hixon trail is always a good time and we finally made it to Mimi's "Enchanted Forest" without a rain/snow encounter :rolleyes: . Glad we opted to take the dirt back from Anza to Warner Springs - rejuvenated us for that last slab section home from Warner Springs.... 225 miles for the day and pulled into the driveway just after sundown..... Next ride though - more dirt, less pavement :wacko:

Guest Crusty

Thank's for the reports, I was on the fence between the BMW. ride Pala and the crowd at Corral Canyon.

I went to Corral Canyon instead, got there to Four Corners at 6:30

Rode alone from 7:00 to 8:45 took a short break, then rode with Ruggle and CJ54 from

9:00 till 10;30 We split up so I could ride trail #3 - #5 - #11 - #1 to Four Corners.

Our group Steve S., Alex (new guy) on grey GS800(last group)of big bikes arrived in Idyllwild after 1pm, we cruised around town looking for the other riders, but we never found them, we figured they must have left town already. We stopped off at Iydllwild Pizza for lunch and one of the riders on a KTM from the other group found us there and joined us, sorry I forgot his name. I left around 2:45. I did pass a group of three riders stopped for a light at the intersection of 79 and Domenigan Pkwy in Hemet, looks like one them was riding a grey Dakar. I waved as I passed them but I'm not sure if they saw me on the GS.

Nice seeing you all on the ride I did take my smaller bike DRZ400 as I don't believe a very big bike was fun on this ride with temperatures havering over 90 in some places but I ended staying with Kkug and the few leftovers from the group after everyone split up. Lunch was ok but would loved to have done more dirt than what the BMW group did, by the way we were suppose to go dirt all the way to idywild but they split up before the ride was over around 01:00 pm to 01:30 pm. By the way we saw you slabbing it past us as we were waiting for the group to come down into the 74 between helmet and the turn to go up to idywild.I know few of the BMW riders and some of them are really experienced and excellent riders that can follow any small bike anywhere as long it has the space to go thru but others had there hands full and just couldn't keep up at the same speed.I wish it was a longer ride with more dirt as I really didn't like doing all of that slab at the start of the ride but I was not a leader. I really was tired by the time I got home because of the slab on a small bike, I have never seen the BMW group do such a short GS ride but hey it was the first of the season and I am sure the next ones will be more fun. Nice seeing you all and meeting some of you for the first time and looking forward to riding with you in the future. Now the fun part......I overheard some guy on a big R1200GSA that was complaining to Rick that some girl past him on a husky so fast he was going to go into the ditch, without replying to him I was thinking ....how would you go into a ditch with a trail that is this wide. You go girls teach these old BMW dudes how a trail should be riden.

1346097628[/url]' post='132497']

So....I'm guessing that no big bikes at all, ever made it to Idylwild. :unsure:

Looks like at least for this time, little bikes were the correct ride to get the job done. :coolio::party:

I agree

Should have followed you guys! I got trapped at a turn waiting for the last group and well....never caught up. Way too much slab and was aching for the full dirt route all the way. Good to see/meet some of you guys. Good day in all though. Cheers.