PbdBlue

KTM oil change

Okay doing an oil change on my 07' 450 EXC. In the manual it says to tilt the bike over and fill the oil filters with oil. That's the way I've always done it but quite frankly it's a pain. My bike spends enough time on it's side without intentionally laying it over! How about you guys? Do you fill'em or just let the oil pump do it on first start?

06 525 EXC, I think I layed it over the 1st timed I changed the oil. Never have since then. Zero problems so far.

CiD

never have either and i own lots of ktm's just don't use cheap filters

I change the oil (oil and clean screens) every 500, filters every three changes (ish) and I do lay (lie) it over on it's side, and I fill the cavities.

That way I can feel like I've done something right. rolleyes.gif

If I didn't fill the cavities, I'd spin the starter for several seconds with my thumb on the kill switch to pump them full of oil without running the bike.

I change the oil (oil and clean screens) every 500, filters every three changes (ish) and I do lay (lie) it over on it's side, and I fill the cavities.

If I didn't fill the cavities, I'd spin the starter for several seconds with my thumb on the kill switch to pump them full of oil without running the bike.

That's my drill also but thinking I could back off on cleaning the screens a bit. I never find anything in them and if somethings coming apart I would expect to find it on the magnetic drain plug. I did not fill the cavities this time around but cranked the starter for about 30 sec with the kill switch on. None of my Yammi's ever required pre-priming and they've been super reliable. Hard to believe that the KTM is that much different.

That's my drill also but thinking I could back off on cleaning the screens a bit. I never find anything in them and if somethings coming apart I would expect to find it on the magnetic drain plug. I did not fill the cavities this time around but cranked the starter for about 30 sec with the kill switch on. None of my Yammi's ever required pre-priming and they've been super reliable. Hard to believe that the KTM is that much different.

I look at the screens in case something broke inside. I agree they rarely need cleaning, but every time I consider skipping that part, I think how silly I'd feel if something had broken BEFORE I went riding, and I missed it.

Way back when I was a child, I asked Ron Bishop if I should change the filter every oil change. He said to me "you don't take a bath with your socks on do you?" and I've always changed the filters with the oil ever since. Just M2CW.

CiD

Filters and oil at the same time for me as well. Many many many many trouble free hours on all 4 of my 450's with no problems to speak of. Better than 500 hrs on two of them with nothing more than rings installed

I just pour oil over a new filter so it can soak it up. At least this way it's not dry when the oil starts pumping. I also turn the motor over for 5-10 sec. before starting. It pumps pretty quick, so if it's not full in 10 sec. there's a bigger problem.

Cheers!

I just pour oil over a new filter so it can soak it up. At least this way it's not dry when the oil starts pumping. I also turn the motor over for 5-10 sec. before starting. It pumps pretty quick, so if it's not full in 10 sec. there's a bigger problem.

Cheers!

i always change the filters when i do a oil change...( mine has 3 filters),2 in the case and one in the oil cooler..

then ether pull the spark plug , or pull the compression relieve and spin the motor over ..

that way you don't load the bearings ...before you get oil pressure...;)

Wow, certainly make me feel like I've been doing a 3rd rate job. I just change the oil, and the one filter (if I happen to have one handy). I've checked the screen a few times, but not enough to say at what intervals. Who knows tho, I could need a whole new engine an not even realize it. I've heard stories of people blowing the top end on their lc4s and still riding it another year being none the wiser.

I never change oil without changing the filter.

The 640 KTM screen is easy to remove and clean, so I do every time.

The 950 oil tank screens and valve are a pain (you have to remove the tank on left side), so I do those every other time.