mainblockhead

de luz truck trail / tenaja trail

I could'nt find the topic that was mentioned last week about this road possiblly being closed, so I ventured, some new sign's but wide open and freshly graded, sweet!!!

Since that last thread, I learned a few things. I went looking at county maps and found this on a FAQ page:

How do I verify whether a road is open to the public?

If you have questions as to whether a road is available for public use please contact the Survey Section of the Real Estate Services Division. Staff within the section can tell whether the road is available for public use and whether it is maintained by the County. Please call (858) 694-2291 during regular work hours and ask for the public assistance personnel in the Survey Section.

So I called. I got ahold of Paul Tanguilig (Real Estate Services, County of San Diego)

He informed me that most of Tenaja Trail is private, but some is public.

The public parts are in the middle of the trail.

It's just how the property lines were drawn.

I found a county map ( http://www.sdcdpw.org/countyroads/crs/15W42.pdf ) and Tenaja Trail is label as "Z Road" Z 1815. Paul said, "that Z roads are historically known to be used by the public, but also known to have no legal documents that declare it as county roads. Also Z roads are not maintained by the County."

If Tenja was graded, it wasn't graded by the county but rather by the land owners.

There are a dozen or so properties back there that are only accessible by that trail, so I'm not sure how anyone would know who's who using the trail. So with all that info, I still don't plan on going back. There are other places to ride without signs.

post-15052-027412600 1345823727_thumb.jp

I know that not too long ago Cal Fire was up there grading and improving the road. They said (I rode through) that they were planning to put up a gate at both ends. I went up later (a few months) and there was no gate but the road was still in good condition. Haven't been there in awhile, so perhaps there are changes I'm not aware of...

Who lives around here and why don't we ride other places

I live "here" (Temecula) ... I ride from here (example was yesterday)

To steal a phrase*, "Let's Ride"

(* a tip o' the hat to Crawdaddy :coolio: )

Public road that is not accessible to the public? I'll bet a trespassing fine that the trail runs on an easement.

Why ride there? If we stop riding on public roads, the huggers of trees can say, "See? There is no reason to maintain the easement." "See? there's no reason to leave that road open." "See? there's no reason to...."

Ok, you pushed me into it. I went back for a second look. Looks like a sign war started. Someone painted over them and then someone painted letters back on them.

post-15052-095789500 1347257349_thumb.jp

While I was sitting there, two guys rode by me and up the trail. I decided to ride around to see what was on the other side. I guess I was just curious to see if there were any signs on the other side.

Cleveland Forest Sign:

post-15052-017323100 1347257460_thumb.jp

Tenaja Truck Trail Sign:

post-15052-080206100 1347257517_thumb.jp

Sign?

post-15052-015092600 1347257578_thumb.jp

Ran through the area with all the junk cars and old bus, nice place.

Once I got past that place, the trail opened up. Said "Hi" to some guys riding his mountain bike with his dog.

I came out where I started... Yeah, I call BS.

While I was out there I took a ride up to Margarita Peak.

post-15052-019706300 1347258009_thumb.jp

post-15052-020784700 1347258099_thumb.jp

post-15052-000195900 1347258832_thumb.jp

On my way down, I rode past the same two guys I saw earlier. Lots of space out there. Kinda nice to ride west of the 15 for once.

It's always had no trespassing signs up....they're bogus. Not the only place land owners have done that in an attempt to declare a public road "private". I just follow the maps, pay attention, and ride.

I'm new to this game, but I see lots of gates across roads and trails shown on google maps. I've only been on a handful of rides, but have found plenty of locked gates.