JOnesbilt

HI from Ramona

Hi im Evan and I wanted to introduce myself.

I have recently moved to Ramona having retired from the Marines, I have been riding bikes since I was 12 back in Ireland when I was raised. My first bike was a Suzuki 197? TS 125 a real pos and a heart breaker as we it would constantly break down and we were to broke to fix it. Next came a Yamaha 1981 DT125 which was nice except for the fact that it burst into flames and almost killed me... literally. After that came a nice 1984 yz 125 which was nice but siezed racing a KMX 125, I was able to resurrect it with some wet and dry sand paper and a new piston and ring set. This is how stuff got fixed back in the day. I didnt have bikes for years since I was in College then moved to the US where I got back to riding with a 1991 KX 250 in the mid ninety s, nice bike but I could never get the front forks to operate properly and it was slow as it has a moose fly wheel weights. The previous owner told me he placed well in the widow maker hill climb on that bike and id believe him as it was pretty powerful. Then I owned a 1983 CR250 which was blinding fast handled like a run away slinky and had a left handed kick start which was weird.

Anway I guess my favorite bike and first Thumper was a EBAY $300 KLR250 which was the best trail bike I have owned to date. It was always ridiculed by my friends as a beginners bike, but with a low seat height low close ratio 6 speed and a desert tank and kx 250 rear shock it would run all day long and was best in tight technical sections where my friends MX 2 strokers were slipping clutches, falling over and cursing the heavens....Good times.

post-15061-032850700 1344382892_thumb.jp

Well I had to sell it a few years back and now own a DR650 which is my first brand new bike. To be honest I dont really like the DR as it seems to be geared way to high is pretty heavy, the forks appear to be non adjustable( washes out in sandy turns), the seat is like sitting on a razor blade after 45 mins in the saddle and its jetted weird and doesn't run smoothly at low speeds. Anyway the bike is begging to have a bunch of cash thrown at it or traded for a Yamaha XT 250 I guess I have to wait and see what happens.

So anyway Ramona seems like a nice place with plenty of trails around to explore the hills, the only problem it horse country and seems to be totally against all off road travel. I will be scouring the forums for fellow SDAR members who have good local trail knowledge who want to get out in the next few weeks. My Job keeps me out of town 3 weeks at a time so when im home i'll be ready to ride. In closing im glad to have found this website and look forward to seeing you all on the Trail. Thanks Evan

post-15061-014242900 1344382877_thumb.jp

post-15061-082251200 1344382860_thumb.jp

Ramona has some trails... we've got a few "regulars" from there... including some horse/moto people

crawdaddy, bald beemer, SDlineman, mistress of the dual are some that come to mind... point is: there are some dirt roads and twisty streets to ride

the DR650 is heavy, and low, but has a torquey powerplant, and is a decent street bike. If you think that seat is a razor blade, you need to toughen up your posterior

I'm planning on an early morning romp next Sunday; join up!

Ramona has some trails... we've got a few "regulars" from there... including some horse/moto people

crawdaddy, bald beemer, SDlineman, mistress of the dual are some that come to mind... point is: there are some dirt roads and twisty streets to ride

the DR650 is heavy, and low, but has a torquey powerplant, and is a decent street bike. If you think that seat is a razor blade, you need to toughen up your posterior

Thanks man I will be in Houston until 17 Aug. However after that I will be ready. What do you ride?

Later Evan

Yep, I'm up there......Welcome :rolleyes:

Watch for ride announcements......we usually start from Packard's (7th and Main)

my current bike is mainly a DRZ400

but I've had lots of bikes in the past... everything from a taco mini-bike and an MR50, up to Vstrom, ZX-11, etc. with a smattering of letters and numbers all in between

DR, XT, KLX, KLR, TTR, TT, XRL, TW, etc

While no one bike can do everything the best, I'm a firm believer in finding what type of riding you want to do, then pick a bike that does that fairly well

if you like the gnarly singletrack, you'll find the DR650 low and heavy.

if you like long romps to the trails, you'll find air cooled 250s mostly anemic.

I have ridden the DRZ for extended periods on the highway, on the outdoor moto track, rock infested singletrack, and out in the desert... MY limitations far outweigh the bikes limitations

welcome to the group

my current bike is mainly a DRZ400

but I've had lots of bikes in the past... everything from a taco mini-bike and an MR50, up to Vstrom, ZX-11, etc. with a smattering of letters and numbers all in between

DR, XT, KLX, KLR, TTR, TT, XRL, TW, etc

While no one bike can do everything the best, I'm a firm believer in finding what type of riding you want to do, then pick a bike that does that fairly well

if you like the gnarly singletrack, you'll find the DR650 low and heavy.

if you like long romps to the trails, you'll find air cooled 250s mostly anemic.

I have ridden the DRZ for extended periods on the highway, on the outdoor moto track, rock infested singletrack, and out in the desert... MY limitations far outweigh the bikes limitations

welcome to the group

Thanks we plan on a few long distance trips so the Dr will be more suited for that I guess. Were talking about heading up to Death valley on the bikes before the end of summer and maybe a Baja run one of these days. My friends ride KLR's and BMW's so the DR is right at home on middle ground between the bikes in my circle of friends. DV is a pretty awesome trip we did it in our 4X4's a few years ago. Well talk to you later.

Were talking about heading up to Death valley on the bikes before the end of summer

:rolleyes::wacko::crazy::dead::thumbsdown_anim::laughingsmiley:

Were talking about heading up to Death valley on the bikes before the end of summer

:rolleyes::wacko::crazy::dead::thumbsdown_anim::laughingsmiley:

Whats up you think this is a bad idea?

it is DEATH VALLEY for a REASON :rolleyes:

:heh:

I dont get it this is an adventure riders website is it not? I said ive been there before and know how to Manage risk.

If there is some thing I missing please enlighten me.

no... it's just hot out there... and there are big scary bugs... and it's dry... and no showers... and the pillows are lumpy

just messin' with ya

If you know what you're doing, and that kind of thing suits you, have a great time.

A lot of us desk jockeys live vicariously through pictures, so take a ton of them, and share your adventure when you get back

Welcome aboard. If you ever want to go thru some of the usual "must do's" on the DR, let me know. The Neutral Sending Unit screws are always a coin toss and you don't want one in your tranny. Some are loose, some never come loose. The upper chain roller seems to be misplaced and a few have torn out leaving a nice hole in the frame.

Either way, I've done 5 DR NSU screw fixes and other stuff. I have most of the specialty tools needed for that bike so if you ever want a garage day, let me know. Glad to help where I can if needed.

it is DEATH VALLEY for a REASON :rolleyes:

:heh:

I dont get it this is an adventure riders website is it not? I said ive been there before and know how to Manage risk.

I wasn't going to say anything but riding in DV in the summer is not the best idea. It's hot and riding a dirt bike in 125 degrees is not my idea of fun. DV is great in late fall, winter or early spring but why ride there in summer when you can ride other places then do DV when it cools down

Covered in Dust

Welcome fellow Ramonian, plenty of trails from here...your dr is perfect with a couple mods. TrophyHunter knows the bike well. If you still have stock tires that could explain a lot. Before you go to DV in the summer take a ride down to our local desert for a full day. It's rideable but not fun for a 100 mile ride right now. Keep an eye on the "informal ride" section - I go most weekends for half a day on my dr. There is a benefit ride for a local shop owner this Sunday that will be fun and you will meet a few riders.

http://dualsport-sd....-recovery-fund/

**Scratch that just saw your not back till 17th**

I wasn't going to say anything but riding in DV in the summer is not the best idea. It's hot and riding a dirt bike in 125 degrees is not my idea of fun. DV is great in late fall, winter or early spring but why ride there in summer when you can other places then do DV when it cools down

Covered in Dust

Yea, but in the summer he wont run into any ice patches on the trails resulting in this..........post-14556-024692200 1344436660_thumb.jp

Whats up you think this is a bad idea?

Yes, if you break down out there this time of year you're screwed.....

Lighten up....

All we're saying is there are PLENTY of other/more appealing options this time of year......

Mountains in late Spring/Summer/Early fall.........deserts in late Fall/Winter/early Spring.

No we'll do pleasant canyon/south park canyon loop and camp at Rogers Canyon its elevation is 6400" and gets cold at night. Similar conditions as Big bear.[

Welcome Jones...I say, if you want to go to Death Valley when it's hot....go for it. Sounds like you have experience and know what you're getting into.

Evan, good to see you on here. Can't wait to knock out some gnarly rides soon. Rode back from Barstow today was 110 when I left, the mighty KLR705 never got hot. I really would like to do that Baja run we need to plan it. Went for a ride last year up there in Romana was fun but lots of private roads and need someone that knows the area. Later man.

Welcome to the group. Lots of people do rides that others wouldn't. I think if you use proper risk management and planning, you'll be ok. Not saying that I'd ride Death Valley this time of year, but I've done solo rides in the desert in the summer while I was on detachment to El Centro and am here to speak of it.

Have fun!