I could see "16 and under" just to soften the position enough to get buyoff from those wanting it for all ages.

Then the same would be for my baby as we hit the dirt in the truck with the trailer hooked up? :torch:

Email 'em with your concerns, Aaron. Mr Cooks office was very responsive and wants input. The quick fix was just that pending longer legislative sessions. Get involved or just deal with the outcome.

Ken do you have that email address. I didn't see it in any of the post. I might have missed it and

I want to make sure I send my concerns to the right place.

Chris

tim.itnyre@asm.ca.gov

Timothy Itnyre

Legislative Director

Office of Assemblyman Paul Cook

Aaron - I'd have to re-read but I don't think that's the spirit of the law. If it says that, I'll send support for NO helmet requirement. Thx for brining that up.

Off-highway vehicles

AB 1266 Passes Out of the Legislature

I wanted to let everyone know that AB 1266 passed out of the legislature tonight. It passed out of the Senate earlier this afternoon on a 39-0 vote and just passed the Assembly on a 64-0 vote. It now heads to the desk of Governor Jerry Brown who has until the end of September to sign it into law.

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has contacted my office about AB 1595. Without your help, I know I'd never have succeeded in getting AB 1266 drafted and passed in such a short period of time. Because of your hard work, off-roaders will be able to continue enjoying the sport with their families and thousands of safely modified vehicles will remain legal on January 1.

I know that AB 1266 is just the first step in addressing the concerns of the off-road community. I will be speaking with my fellow legislators in the coming weeks to help you find an author for bills to address the remaining concerns you have brought to my office. I'll be following up with another update sometime next week to begin going over the next steps.

Thank you again for all of your input and support in getting AB 1266 passed.

Assemblyman Paul Cook

65th Assembly District

I could see "16 and under" just to soften the position enough to get buyoff from those wanting it for all ages.

Then the same would be for my baby as we hit the dirt in the truck with the trailer hooked up? :torch:

Aaron, the new laws only apply to vehicles with engines less than 1000 cc and are "designed for primarily off-road use." There are a few other descriptions of the category of vehicle described, but its basically just targeting UTV's, or as they call it, "Recreational off-road vehicles"

Aaron, the new laws only apply to vehicles with engines less than 1000 cc and are "designed for primarily off-road use." There are a few other descriptions of the category of vehicle described, but its basically just targeting UTV's, or as they call it, "Recreational off-road vehicles"

There are plenty of jeeps and trucks out at the desert that are only used as 'recreational off road vehicles' even though they are street legal. There truly is no difference between them and a UTV except the CC limit...in fact I'd say the UTVs are even safer as they aren't capable of such high speeds and because they have factory role cages (haha ok that was a joke :) But really the law is flawed and shouldn't be 'targeting' anyone.

I think the one big difference between the trucks/jeeps/buggies that have been running around the desert forever and UTV's is the fact that there have been a ton of injuries/deaths/lawsuits resulting from rollovers in UTV's the last several years, and somebody decided something needed to be done about it. I would love to live in a world where laws weren't needed because people didn't make stupid decisions, but that just isn't reality. The first version of this new set of laws was WAY flawed, but I think some type of legislation is inevitable, so the best we can do is figure out what is acceptable for both sides and implement that instead. Anybody know of a good sale on kids' helmets?

I think the one big difference between the trucks/jeeps/buggies that have been running around the desert forever and UTV's is the fact that there have been a ton of injuries/deaths/lawsuits resulting from rollovers in UTV's the last several years

FYI, Jeff I dont mean this post at you :)

So law suites are what make them different? Really?

Let me ask you this...what if the UTV was plated...would it not longer be an recreational off raod vehicle? Wouldn't it be just another licensed vehicle aka truck/jeep etc? I'm still trying to get a clear definition of what a UTV is because in all seriousness there really isn't much of a difference.

Here is a good example: Say I bought a Fiat 500 which is less then 1000cc and took it to the desert...would I have to wear a helmet? If not, what if it wasnt plated but instead just green stickered etc then would I (Here is a list of 10+ vehicles under 1000cc: http://www.classicandsportscar.com/forum/classic-chat/top-10-cars-under-1000cc)

Do you guys see my point...the law is very narrow minded and selective. It targets a group of people aka discriminates. If we are going to make UTV's wear a helmet, we should then make every other vehicle that goes off road wear helmets...PERIOD. Else not make UTV's wear helmets (which is what Im for)

280px-1970_Fiat_500_L_--_2011_DC_1.jpg

No offense taken, Aaron, I'm not a fan of this new law either, just not seeing it going away and trying to find a way for everyone to deal with it.

Here's the definition of a "recreational off road vehicle":

SECTION 1. Section 500 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:

500. “Recreational off-highway vehicle” means a motor vehicle meeting all of the following criteria:

(a) Designed by the manufacturer for operation primarily off of the highway.

(B) Has a steering wheel for steering control.

© Hasnonstraddleseatingprovidedbythemanufacturerfortheoperator and all passengers.

(d) (1) Has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour.

(2) A vehicle designed by the manufacturer with a maximum speed capability of 30 miles per hour or less but is modified so that it has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour satisfies the criteria set forth in this subdivision.

(e) Has an engine displacement equal to or less than 1,000cc (61 ci).

I think (a) would require a plated UTV to conform, but the little yellow car with 33's would be legal to cruise though the dunes at Glamis.

My gas powered golf cart will do a little better than 30 and meets all of the other criteria for this law. So I guess that everyone at a public golf course better wear a helmet or they could be ticketed under this poorly written law. If the Gov. Has any sense he will not sign this into law, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

CiD

If the Gov. Has any sense

Now that is funny!

If the Gov. Has any sense

Now that is funny!

Maybe we can make helmets required on his bazillion dollar train to nowhere.

CiD