eddie

2012 Thruxton

Occasionally, I get to ride Triumphs and break them in before they go to the press. It's a fun, non-paying gig, and always worth the trip to LA to pick up the ride.

Today, I picked up a Triumph Thruxton fresh out of the box.

post-13992-018640800 1342846109_thumb.jp

At 865cc, Triumph claims 68 bhp with 51lbs of torque at a claimed wet weight of 505. It is a great looking bike and looked to be a lot of fun. It's got a retro cafe racer look with the solo seat and some funky end of the handlebar mirrors. With the foot pegs a little to the rear of the seat, the riding position is a little forward and the seat is about as uncomfortable as I have experienced on a street bike. Still, it's a bike and I get to wear out their tires.

Picked up the bike in Placentia and headed out 91-15, thinking I'd loop 79 from Temecula to Santa Ysabel. First impression? Needs more GO. At freeway speed when rolling on the throttle on to pass, overtake, whatever... Leave yourself some room.

Decided in Temecula that I'd rather hit some of the stuff south of the 76 instead of running on the 79. I did Rice Canyon, Couser Canyon, Lilac/West Lilac, then Camino Del Rey to 395 and Gopher Canyon to the 15. Down the road to Pomerado for a run up Highland Valley. These are some of my favorite roads and today was no exception.

Did I mention how fun the Thruxton looks? Sadly, it doesn't have the heart to go with the look. I found the suspension and braking to be... Let's say archaic. Throttle delivery is smooth but weak.

Triumph has come out with some fantastic rides over the last couple of years. I've got thousand of miles on some of them, including the 800 Tigers and the 675R. This one is a cute, retro looking, putter. It could have been a cute, retro looking, rocket. It's a fun motorbike, but no canyon carver, and not a fast ride.

A guy I used to race with had an '04 or '05.

Fun bike, but in serious need of suspension, basic motor work, and better brake lines. Brake "feel" is very subjective, but neither he nor I could get wrapped around it factory on the street or track. About a grand worth of parts later it was an amazing cruising bike and solid trackday toy.

One suspects that much like the Hardly Ablesons, it is Not about performance but public profile. The manufacturers know this and save the budget on suspension etc.

Looks a bit like a '69 CB 570

One suspects that much like the Hardly Ablesons, it is Not about performance but public profile. The manufacturers know this and save the budget on suspension etc.

totally agree with this... for the urban posers, and older guys trying to capture some of the Wild Ones "mystique", this bike looks the part

riding around Mission Hills or downtown, this bike will turn some heads (same posers and older guys...)

riding from Starbucks to another Starbucks, it will get some attention... cruiser night, it may get some attention as an alternative to a V twin.

for the rest of us... that's what the Speed triple and daytonas are for

totally agree with this... for the urban posers, and older guys trying to capture some of the Wild Ones "mystique", this bike looks the part

riding around Mission Hills or downtown, this bike will turn some heads (same posers and older guys...)

riding from Starbucks to another Starbucks, it will get some attention...

See how if you cut the last little bit out of that you could be talking about an R1200GSA, 950/990 Adventure, Tiger, Super Tenere, etc.

:coolio:

Otay Mountain and Black Canyon are calling... :evil:

I thought about Black Canyon today as Edward Bell led a group of 13 Adventure bikes on a local run.

Repeat after me: NO! Eddie, No! It's NOT YOUR BIKE!

Otay Mountain and Black Canyon are calling... :evil:

I thought about Black Canyon today as Edward Bell led a group of 13 Adventure bikes on a local run.
Repeat after me: NO! Eddie, No! It's NOT YOUR BIKE!

They're going to learn about you at some point Eddie! :crazy: