chickenheart

got gps training?

ok i got a question for my genius brothers out there ( is the ego stroked) ok i just got a garmin for fathersday (76csx kinda upset about having to buy maps just to get it to do the simple stuff) anyway i was wondering if maybe there was some kind of class or maybe some of the gps wizards would maybe put a class together if so i might be able to get a meeting room to do it.

just a thought!

ed

I would be in for learning more about my 60csx also. I think they are very similar. Ken

I would be in for learning more about my 60csx also. I think they are very similar. Ken

they are very similar i got this cuz westmarine had it on sell for 347 and it floats(just in case)

but i think the operation is the same.

ed

I also thought it was kind of chickensh*# (no offense :D ) that I had to buy a couple hundred dollars worth of software to get it to do what I wanted it to do(which I still don't know how to do). It wasn't cheap to start with. I just need to use it more often and get used to it. When I am riding my bike I am too busy to play with it to really learn to use all the functions. I have come way too close to crashing several times working it while riding offroad.

What mount did you choose? I have been really happy with my RAM mount. I suggest hard wiring it.

Mine used to shut off at high rpm with the batteries in it. I don't keep batteries in it when I ride, I just carry some spares in my pack. :D Ken

I also thought it was kind of chickensh*# (no offense :clapping: ) that I had to buy a couple hundred dollars worth of software to get it to do what I wanted it to do(which I still don't know how to do). It wasn't cheap to start with. I just need to use it more often and get used to it. When I am riding my bike I am too busy to play with it to really learn to use all the functions. I have come way too close to crashing several times working it while riding offroad.

What mount did you choose? I have been really happy with my RAM mount. I suggest hard wiring it.

Mine used to shut off at high rpm with the batteries in it. I don't keep batteries in it when I ride, I just carry some spares in my pack. :cray: Ken

i havent got a mount yet but tomorrows my B-day so hopyfully i'll get suprised but yeah i plan on hardwiring it and getting the ram mount also. i managed to gets some maps from the internet and have been messing with them luckily i have experience with marine gps units so i know a little about marking tracks but it would be helpful if i had the right maps, maybe the wife will get those for me :ph34r: yeah i called garmin to ask wtf and the rude little girl i talked to said that since my gps is hand held it comes with topo pre loaded but just base map topo just like the base map hihgways. she said if i was unhappy take it back to the store. and i would if it wasnt for garmin having a foothold in the organized rides which is what i wanna start doing a little when i figure out how to use this. well i'm done ranting i'm sure it will work outand i'll be happy as always i just get buyers remorse when spending money just to spend more to get what i thought i paid for lol

ed

When i got my first gps my parents got me an instructional video with it. I thought it was lame but I sat through it and it jump-started the learning process. I would suggest finding an instructional DVD. It is worth the $30ish dollars. I found one at the link below.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/vn1339dvd.html

I have not used this dvd and have never bought from this website but simply found it on an online search. So no guarantees. good luck.

I use a Garmin V which is now obsolete and Garmin MapSource version 6.11.6. If you want to know how to use one for dual sport I may be able to help.

As of now these are the only things I use it for:

Download tracks and follow them with a route chart when on a dual sport ride.

Record tracks of routes I want a record of.

Mark waypoints.

Transfer this data between the GPS and my computers.

Use the GPS as a speedometer and altimeter.

I have learned a few tricks over the years but mostly when the unit locks up or is no longer displaying the tracks I‘m supposed to be following.

anyway i was wondering if maybe there was some kind of class or maybe some of the gps wizards would maybe put a class together if so i might be able to get a meeting room to do it.

I think this is a great idea! I think an informal GPS ride/discussion would be a great idea.

I am busy as hell right now getting ready for the Baja1000 but would be more then happy to do this afterwards.

Wanna plan for mid Dec?

I think this is a great idea! I think an informal GPS ride/discussion would be a great idea.

I am busy as hell right now getting ready for the Baja1000 but would be more then happy to do this afterwards.

Wanna plan for mid Dec?

I'm in, finally bought a gps like 3 months ago but as of now it just looks really kool on the KLR :D

Wanna plan for mid Dec?

I'm in, finally bought a gps like 3 months ago but as of now it just looks really kool on the KLR :blink:

mid DEC is good for me!!

ed