On the way to a July 4th dual sport ride. I was heading North on the 15 the bike lost power. Then a horrible sounds that was like my soul in a Margarita mixer came from the engine... And it shut off...

I pulled over...got a ride back to the house.

The bike had no compression. There were a bunch on metal pieces on the oil drain plug. got the motor out of the bike and took off the top valve cover. The cams and Cam chain were all intact and looked good. I broke 2 sockets trying to get the head bolts off. I'll give it another go today.

Now time for rebuild options...

On the way to a July 4th dual sport ride. I was heading North on the 15 the bike lost power. Then a horrible sounds that was like my soul in a Margarita mixer came from the engine... And it shut off...

The bike had no compression. There were a bunch on metal pieces on the oil drain plug. got the motor out of the bike and took off the top valve cover. The cams and Cam chain were all intact and looked good. I broke 2 sockets trying to get the head bolts off. I'll give it another go today.

pull the motor, and send it to "Burned" in Colorado... big bore, FCR and call it good

(let me know how much it ends up costing... i don't know how much longer mine can take the abuse either)

pull the motor, and send it to "Burned" in Colorado... big bore, FCR and call it good

(let me know how much it ends up costing... i don't know how much longer mine can take the abuse either)

He's got the eldlebrock already. Whatever the quote is to rebuild the motor, consider buying a whole DRZ400E/K dirtbike model. I've seen those sell often enough for <$1,500. You'll have the whole motor with livelier cams and higher compression engine and you can sell the FCR, Forks, Shock etc and keep the wheels as an extra set for yourself. I think it will price out less expensive than a big bore top end rebuild and you get the extra wheels. Then again, if you want big bore power.....

This is basically what I'm talking about 2004, $1,400 OBO, police impound, registration out of date.... most people run away from all that stuff so I bet you could get it cheap. It will have the upgraded front forks compared to the 2002. Heck, I'll buy the headlight cowl and air filter plastic cover right now from you!

http://inlandempire....3100505406.html

post-14322-080648700 1341515058_thumb.jp

I can give you a hand with it if you want.

Good suggestions here. Goofy has the right idea in my opinion, keep an eye out for an E model and get all the good stuff on your bike. Part the rest out and you'll almost have a free engine.

If it's just the top end, you are looking at minimum $500 in parts if your head isn't in bad shape. If you need crank work, double the parts cost, minimum.

If you're taking it in for work, the labor costs will add up quick. Here's a few decent deals which might make more sense than rebuilding?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3077946504.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3087710281.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3064322781.html

This is basically what I'm talking about 2004, $1,400 OBO, police impound, registration out of date.... most people run away from all that stuff so I bet you could get it cheap. It will have the upgraded front forks compared to the 2002. Heck, I'll buy the headlight cowl and air filter plastic cover right now from you!

This is the way to go, great find! $1000 might bring it home, and a few beers would get the motor swappped out. After selling off wheels and a few other bits, you might make money.

I'll volunteer with the paperwork needed to legally swap the engine in (VIN and Engine number verification) if you want the registration to reflect the proper numbers.

Got the jug off... everything is still connected... some scoring on the front and rear of the cylinder walls, and the piston...

Next step..The bottom end... Which I am not comfortable doing by myself...

I appreciate the offers for help... I would like to get it tore down to see the rebuild cost... I haven't found anything broken yet..

Some metal in the oil, and the horrible sound and shutdown and no restart... I have to find something..eventually...

I contacted the guy in Apple Valley, no response yet.

But that does seem like a good solution. Put that motor in my bike and part out the rest.

Would I have to register the CL bike if I am not going to operate it on the street?

But that does seem like a good solution. Put that motor in my bike and part out the rest.

Would I have to register the CL bike if I am not going to operate it on the street?

I would just get a bill of sale, sounds like it's lien sale paperwork anyway. Maybe someone with an E model would want the street legal frame to get their bike plated?

I would just get a bill of sale, sounds like it's lien sale paperwork anyway. Maybe someone with an E model would want the street legal frame to get their bike plated?

I doubt that Apple Valley guy's bike is street legal. I think it was a dirtbike from the get go. I wouldn't even register the frame. Can you recycle it and get money or would you have to pay to take it to the dump?

Swap the motor and front forks onto your DRZ, keep the wheels for commuting or sell them for ~$500, sell the pumper carb for ~$200, sell the headlight cowl and air box cover plastic to me for ~$??? haha

Not trying to stir the pot, but the scoring on the front and rear of cylinder walls along with your info is the exact issue I had on mine.

It ended up being a warped crank.

Just had a further evaluation...

Piston toast... Cylinder toast... Crank toast...

Apple valley guy...still no contact...

Sounds expensive...

Piston toast... Cylinder toast... Crank toast...

Sounds almost like a lubrication failure with both the top and bottom going at once. :unsure:

I believe I am going to ship the motor to Eddie Sisneros for a rebuild. I am sorting out the packaging and shipping options now. I plan to use the cooler shipping method.

I believe I am going to ship the motor to Eddie Sisneros for a rebuild. I am sorting out the packaging and shipping options now. I plan to use the cooler shipping method.

Let us know how it is going...I'm thinking my DRZcant last too much longer and am looking at options.

I'm thinking my DRZcant last too much longer...

With all that you've put that bike through I'm always surprised it's made it this far.

Also keeping an ear open for how the rebuild comes out. Heard lots of good thing about Eddie's shop.

My opinion

Don't waste your time & money.

Rebuild the old motor.

If done correctly you will have many years of trouble-free service, just like the original motor.

You are replacing a broken motor with a 8-9 year old motor and you are taking a risk of it's condition/maintenance.

OK, my DRZ had a built motor by Yoshimura, they still do the work and the bike Dyno'd at Lee Cycle Center at 61.2 whp.

No bad IMO especially since they are in Chino (short drive-and I could help since I am headed that way soon) and their kit includes the FCR39 or 41 carb, cams, ported and polished head, Race ECU and all the parts you need, etc. The cost is the same in the long run.

I like Eddie, he a good dude and does great work but I saw the upside to Yoshimura and since the bike was my daily SuMo for 5 years before I DS'd it, the damn thing had over 100k on it before I burned it up and plated my WR450

OK, my DRZ had a built motor by Yoshimura, they still do the work and the bike Dyno'd at Lee Cycle Center at 61.2 whp.

No bad IMO especially since they are in Chino (short drive-and I could help since I am headed that way soon) and their kit includes the FCR39 or 41 carb, cams, ported and polished head, Race ECU and all the parts you need, etc. The cost is the same in the long run.

I like Eddie, he a good dude and does great work but I saw the upside to Yoshimura and since the bike was my daily SuMo for 5 years before I DS'd it, the damn thing had over 100k on it before I burned it up and plated my WR450

OK- same questions for you then

Yoshi built motor- I fully support that; Bored? Stroked? Bottom end left alone? Ported, polished, cams and ECU- cool... Pumper carb and jetted... cool

How much did it cost?

What was the turnaround time?

Jon- as for my DRZ lasting this long- yeah... it's been through a lot. It doesn't even have THAT many miles, but the majority of the miles are fairly intense. Hot singletrack, or high speed romps on the back roads... I don't cruise or commute on it that much- that's why I am curious. So far, it is my most favorite bike I've had "for everything"... the weight doesn't bother me, and the bike just "fits" me perfectly. I don't even need more horsepower (but could use better suspension). The bike takes everything I throw at it. $1500 to get the engine like new or better, and $1000 sent to Suspenders for some magic... (or is it more like $2500 for a like new motor?)

anyways- just looking ahead and following the thread

First, what is making these DRZs blow up? Lack of oil flow? What are the remedies, things to look for? I'm assuming an engine builder could diagnose the failure?

Secondly, when/how does an owner know when to rebuild the motor? I don't know the mileage on my bike but don't plan on rebuilding mine anytime soon.

Third, Bob, get your suspension done, Suspenders went up on the front springs for me even at my weight 150. Considering our weight difference, your front end is overdue.

Third, Bob, get your suspension done, Suspenders went up on the front springs for me even at my weight 150. Considering our weight difference, your front end is overdue.

Reminds me of a little ride Bob and I did shortly after I sold my XR650L way back in 2008. We went to McCain and since I was without a motorcycle at the time I was loaned his DRZ. After a couple dozen or so miles of singletrack, jeep trail, and dirt road I was asked for my impression of his motorcycle. I covered the finer bits of the engine and such but remember vividly proclaiming "I didn't think it was possible to find a motorcycle with worse suspension than the 650L".

Overdue is about right.

After having suspenders recently work his magic and being heavier than the average human suspension is now in the top 5 items for modding on any new motorcycle I get.

I know this isn't very scientific, but the last time I changed the oil on my DRZ (unknown mileage between oil changes but lets say a lot), I was surprised by the small amount of oil that came out the bike. This was after riding the bike hard at the track and various other high RPM settings. I know, not much to base a calculated answer on but does anybody else's DRZ consume oil? I should probably change it more often. I use Maxima synthetic blend.

Hey at least I clean my air filter quite regularly!

OK- same questions for you then

Yoshi built motor- I fully support that; Bored? Stroked? Bottom end left alone? Ported, polished, cams and ECU- cool... Pumper carb and jetted... cool

How much did it cost?

What was the turnaround time?

Bored, stroked, top and bottom, ported and polished, with the cams and ECU. Basically, everything on the list in the URL below.

I spent about $1200 and handed them after rolling out off the truck, got it back in one piece plus a box of OEM parts I parted out. Turnaround was less than 2 weeks.

However, this was 2005.

and here is all the detail

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/t-engine_services_drz400.aspx?imsec=services