Guest Crusty

70++HP. Fuel injected two Stroke! only 215 pounds

Guest Crusty

I still don't understand why the big 4 are trying to make 4-strokes more like 2-strokes... if you want 2-stroke characteristics then build a great 2-stroke. Don't waste your time trying to make something out of what it is not

http://twostrokemoto...ull-test-video/

I still don't understand why the big 4 are trying to make 4-strokes more like 2-strokes...

Pretty simple actually:

Honda was and has continued to be driving force in keeping the 4stroke bikes alive.

oh and the greenies hate 2smokers.

but mostly Honda.

It is hard to believe that Honda can make such a grievous error detrimental riding fun.

The tech has been here for direct injected 2 strokes for a while but if I were big four why lose all the parts and service sales.

Look at the Evinrude (Bombardier) E-tec marine outboards which are 2 stroke motors. They get similar mpg and emissions as the four strokes but lighter and snappier with much less maintenance. The weight difference would really be an asset on a bike. The E-tecs are also bulletproof, the drives on the big bores have had issues but the motor rocks.

Moto folks are so stuck in the moto world thing like Afry said look outside the moto industry for clean modern 2 strokes , Marine engines, Snomobiles etc etc.

Moto folks are so stuck in the moto world thing like Afry said look outside the moto industry for clean modern 2 strokes , Marine engines, Snomobiles etc etc.

Not just 2 strokes, but fuel injection in general. The same arguments and mindset being made by dirtbikers are the same things I heard in the 80s when cars were adopting fuel injection, the 90s with street bikes and anything else you can think of that used carbs for induction. No matter what you say to anybody, the truth is electronic fuel injection and digital ignition controls have made combustion engines more efficient, reliable and far EASIER to tune. Spend the afternoon swapping jets and tweaking accelerator pumps and air screws or plug in a laptop and make a few clicks. Pretty simple to me and no spilled gas, torn gaskets, plugged jets, drawer full of parts to lose. Oh yeah and instant throttle response that never degrades with temperature or elevation changes. Been on a fuelie bike for 3.5 years, never an issue starting or running. After a crash or upside down in a canyon for 10 mins, popped right over. Cold starts in the morning, fires right up ready to go, no lengthy high idle warm ups. Leave the bike sitting for a few months in the garage, push go and it says how fast.

Guest Crusty

Mctrails.

Not just 2 strokes, but fuel injection in general. The same arguments and mindset being made by dirtbikers are the same things I heard in the 80s when cars were adopting fuel injection, the 90s with street bikes and anything else you can think of that used carbs for induction. No matter what you say to anybody, the truth is electronic fuel injection and digital ignition controls have made combustion engines more efficient, reliable and far EASIER to tune. Spend the afternoon swapping jets and tweaking accelerator pumps and air screws or plug in a laptop and make a few clicks. Pretty simple to me and no spilled gas, torn gaskets, plugged jets, drawer full of parts to lose. Oh yeah and instant throttle response that never degrades with temperature or elevation changes. Been on a fuelie bike for 3.5 years, never an issue starting or running. After a crash or upside down in a canyon for 10 mins, popped right over. Cold starts in the morning, fires right up ready to go, no lengthy high idle warm ups. Leave the bike sitting for a few months in the garage, push go and it says how fast.

After seeing what happen to your bike crossing a small stream, I was shocked that at the 2011 Desert Dash I was able to ride my 680L with an opened up air box through miles and miles of deep rivers!!!

I have been riding for 39 years and never experience your misfortune on any bike and I have crossed a lot of watter.

I am not sure if it is a FI. thing or what.

Again, here come the baseless claims of ignorance. A 12V DC electric motor (fuel pump) will operate underwater.

That had nothing to do with fuel injection. It was me misinterpreting a water crossing that was 2 feet deep and not the 6" we'd been crossing all day. Also "paper air filter", I was too dumb to replace it as soon as I got it home from the dealership.

I would have loved to hear the debates when motorcycles switched from points and condensor ignition to CDI. "I heard you can't ride them in the rain, darn 'lectrics will fry right up son! You'll get my points from my cold dead hands."

Technology, either embrace it or be left behind.

Again, here come the baseless claims of ignorance. A 12V DC electric motor (fuel pump) will operate underwater.

That had nothing to do with fuel injection. It was me misinterpreting a water crossing that was 2 feet deep and not the 6" we'd been crossing all day. Also "paper air filter", I was too dumb to replace it as soon as I got it home from the dealership.

I assume you forgot to quote a post that was later changed?

I assume you forgot to quote a post that was later changed?

Gee that's never happened before.

DFI 2 stroke dirt bikes should be in the near future, they exist in Europe with Ossa and others, seems KTM has it ready but waiting for legistation to dictate specific rules before they release bikes, plus they have the best 2 strokes now so not really under much pressure. I'm all for it, would like to never have to mess with jets again but do like simple (and cheap), MXA did nice test on 199 pound 60+ HP 300 FMF KTM recently.