SDlineman

Why did you stop racing District 38 races?

I only raced at most a few , I did not like the zone very much as well as the seemingly restricted postage stamp racing area. I remember doing one that I believe was south of 8 many years ago (1990s) that I did enjoy and did do well in class at that time probably NOV. Was it called the Yuha desert area?

I am an AMA Life member I have done many D37 and other dez type races from enduros to sprint enduros to National Hare and Hounds and when the National comes down here I do it. (except for that deluge swamp mudhole one!!)

Why the Nat and not the local D38 because then we get to use the hard stuff not just flat sand whoops in a big circle.

Unlike , Johnny as a Baja fast guy I am  not a SCORE type dez racer which I think is more what D38 is to me. I am NE transplant and like more technical moto riding as a whole.

Thanks for this thread for our local discussions, for me and it's all my personal preference, the terrain is not to my taste for racing. There is so much more to say considering I've done many D37 Dez races that include higher speeds across the valleys with sand and whoops included. I am an AMA 50A rider (60 this year!!!) with lots of amateur racing hours and plastic/wood/metal trophies on the shelf and races/rides under my belt from Mexico to Idaho. I am always happy to discuss. I love our sport and so many of the folks involved.

I too have seen folks cut course and just went about my race, it's just ridiculous to cut course in an amatuer race so you can claim a trophy , its just absurd to me. I race for the challenge against the course the terrain challenge, and those D37 races give that in spades, as well Tecate HS/enduros type events. You can ask our local gentleman racer National/Baja winner fast guy Justin about what he sees as a pro up in Johnson valley or in Tecate as opposed to our local D38 loops.

23 hours ago, JohnnyAirtime said:

... thread resurrection. ;)

I ran across this thread, because I was looking to see what happened to the AMAD38/forum.  Google brought me here.

It looks like the forum is gone. Probably for the better.

I did go out and enjoy watching the D38 opener this past weekend. Pretty good turnout I thought.
... and, the course was as most of you don't like.  FAST!!  I mean, a 20 mile lap... and Justin Morgan was around in 20-24minutes. The slower guys, were around in 30-40minutes.  Still fun to watch... even though, overly dusty in the AM with wind coming up later (thank goodness).

I stopped racing the D38 events in 2007'ish. Can't remember now. But mostly because of the drama. Yes, I created a lot of the drama myself (on the forum especially)... but, it was because I was asking about cheating. Asking questions others wouldn't, and asking those questions because of not only what I noticed... but others I know (friends and family). Quickly, my name was mud... and I was even challenged (pretty aggressively) by two families and a club in the pits. Wondering why I wrote down a racers number for NOT being on course (I worked that race, due to my bike being broke).    ... the funny part?! I gave'em two laps and decided the 3rd time, I was writing down the number. I had no idea who the racer was (at the time)... but of course, post race I realized it was the younger son of the family I was calling out in previous races (for cheating). He too, came out from their pit camp and said; "so this is Airtime?!", all puffy chested. All 120lbs! HAHA.   Even another racers Dad got into it, saying; "What's up Airtime, you pissed your getting your ass handed to you?!".... from the Dad of the 16+ yr old son, I am usually passing at 34+ yrs old. It was only a handful of those I was challenging, or "calling out" for cheating. But they were the mascots of the D38 community, and should have known better than to allow such to happen.

Like I said, I created some of the drama by observing and asking sensitive questions. Nobody else was, and I couldn't just let my (and others) observations go unnoticed.  Once I did that, my "fun" factor went to zero and as I said... my name was 'mud'. I just stopped going to D38 all together.

Unlike others, I liked the WFO racing. I was there to run the course and see how I faired against others. Practicing for Baja races, and to keep my strength up for holding it WFO for long lengths of time. I enjoyed the challenges of dust, other fast racers, and banging bars with other experts or trying with pro level riders. 

If someone wants to race a Baja event, I believe the D38 courses/events are one of the better to prepare yourself. If you have no reason to want to race Baja, then the D38 courses aren't too appealing. Unless, that Baja race is something along the lines of the Los Ancianos Tecate Hare Scramble...  then, D37 is your better bet to prepare (in my opinion).

... I know I probably said too much, or should have just scrolled on by but... since the question was asked (albeit in 2012 - LOL!).

** I hope your enjoying my sarcasm **

Looks like the typical Corruption. I had some experience (Not personal) at the Barona speedway with some car racing. If you don't pay your Race Family fee, you are out.