CL300CAPT

GPS purchase advise

This is an older topic, so I don't know if adding this will make any difference to your purchase. I had a 60csx, key word "had". Just had it go flying to god knows where in a 5 mile stretch of singletrack on side of a ravine. I didn't notice until we stopped, damn! The ram mount works fine, it was my dumb fault, during a headlight swap I decided to take out the rag I had stuffed in the brake line holder (brake line was smacking the Ram mount and dislodging the gps, lucky to be able to find it in the dirt the first 2 times it happened)which led to the 3rd and final dislodgement! Shoot.....looking at the Montana now. Thanks for the tread, I was able to answer my question of what some additional options are with a new or new to me unit. I like the 76, just doesn't make sense to go with the older technology. A little concerned about the touch screen though. I wear some pretty thick gloves.

Some companies are now making touchscreen friendly riding gloves but not sure they are off road style yet.

A little concerned about the touch screen though. I wear some pretty thick gloves.

You'll be fine - I picked up a Montana last fall and have used it on my snowmobile all winter. I can pretty much guarantee my gloves are at least as thick as what you'll be wearing, and the screen works fine with them. They even work great through the screen protector. Once in a while, you'll hit the wrong button if your gloves are a little "floppy" in the fingertips, but it's not unbearable.

I have mounts for the Montana for my bikes, and as soon as the snow and ice melt enough to ride, I'll mount them up. I really like the Montana - it's my new favorite. It does custom maps like the newer models, the screen is a great size (although the unit is a bit bigger, you may have to fiddle to figure out an unobtrusive place to mount it on a smaller dirt-bike style dualsport), and the mount is bullet proof! You'd have to beat the living crap out of it for it to come out of the rugged mounts Garmin sells. The battery is lithium-ion rechargeable so while you're riding, you're charging the battery - plus you can put in AAs if you want instead.

I bought mine on a whim from the snowmobile dealer. It came with the sled-specific wiring harness and mounting bracket for the same price Garmin lists it as for just the GPS. Plus, the dealer was having a 20% off sale that day. But yes - they are pricey units if you pay MSRP!

This is an older topic, so I don't know if adding this will make any difference to your purchase. I had a 60csx, key word "had". Just had it go flying to god knows where in a 5 mile stretch of singletrack on side of a ravine. I didn't notice until we stopped, damn! The ram mount works fine, it was my dumb fault, during a headlight swap I decided to take out the rag I had stuffed in the brake line holder (brake line was smacking the Ram mount and dislodging the gps, lucky to be able to find it in the dirt the first 2 times it happened)which led to the 3rd and final dislodgement! Shoot.....looking at the Montana now. Thanks for the tread, I was able to answer my question of what some additional options are with a new or new to me unit. I like the 76, just doesn't make sense to go with the older technology. A little concerned about the touch screen though. I wear some pretty thick gloves.

Before you snap your GPS into its cradle, hook the lanyard around your handlebars (or something else) so when it pops off you don't loose it.

That's good advice and a great idea. Mine fits very snug in the mount and has never come lose, so attaching it to the bike didn't occur to me. I will going forward.

"I bought mine on a whim from the snowmobile dealer. It came with the sled-specific wiring harness and mounting bracket for the same price Garmin lists it as for just the GPS. Plus, the dealer was having a 20% off sale that day. But yes - they are pricey units if you pay MSRP! "

Hi Doug, good to hear from you. That was one heck of a deal on the Montana. I have been on the fence with this next generation unit, mostly because of the physical size.

If you have the time, another Snow Mobile Season review would be interesting to this non-snow rider.

Dave

I have been debating on selling my 60CSX and upgrading to the Montana as well. Just need to find a buyer and figure out how much will be left over after the current project I am doing. :ph34r:

I'm a Gps noob. I need advice on purchasing new or used gps for trail riding. Looking for one that I can add maps, backup maps,waterproof and durable.

Thank you

I'm going to be selling my Garmin 60Csx. It's pretty much the standard for dual sport. It's in very good condition and I can throw in some maps and the RAM mount. Leaving town on vacation and was planning to post it up when I get back next weekend. If you're interested pm me.