CL300CAPT

GPS purchase advise

I've read through most of the GPS threads in this section, most seem a little dated. Looking for some advice on the latest greatest units out there and what you would recommend. How easy are they to hard wire into a DR-Z400 is another question? Thanks in advance for the info!

Charlie

lots of good info HERE

I run the Garmin 60CSX hard wired and mounted using the "parts" from GPSCity.com

ease of wiring into a bike all depends on who is doing it and their "skills". If you are comfortable splicing in an inline fuse after cutting off the cigarette lighter end of the power cord. Then wiring straight to battery....you are golden!

Just typed up a whole post and lost it. Anyway, here's the gist -

I've got a 76cx and I lvoe it. Use a RAM mount off amazon for $25 - totally worth the money and really the only way to go. Havne't hardwired it but 2 AA batteries carry it for more than 20hrs. You can get them new from westmarine for about $150 - color screen, water proof, and it floats. base map is --- well --- a basemap, but if you get your tracks from fellow SDAR members or off dualsportmaps then you're golden.

I think at this point, the best units are (in order of newishness)

Garmin Montana

Garmin 62stc

76Cx

Garmin 60CSx

All 4 will do the trick.

Just bought the Montana. Awesome unit. Love the my 60 series, but the Montana is just leaps and bounds beyond the 60.

The 60csx is basically discontinued, you can still find them new but very expensive. The good news is the garmin 76Cx is the same unit but water proof and the antenna is internal. As stated above you can find them at west marine on sale for 150. This is by far the best deal on a gps unit for very little money.

If I was touring cross country I would use the bigger screen garmins with city navigator installed. But for local and so cal trail use the 76cx garmin is all you need. I think you can buy the topo maps for it on ebay for about 60 bucks but you don't need them.

I'm another happy owner of a 76cx from west marine. For me, its all I need and it was the cheapest unit, with the most secure ram mount and simplest design.

That said, there are definitely better units out there for more $ with more features. First, I would suggest riding with guys who have GPS and see how they use theirs, what they like/dislike about them. If we go on a DRZ ride, I'll let you tinker with my GPS so you can see how it functions.

Gents, as always thanks for all the GREAT input. You indeed possess a wealth of real life knowledge. Another concern I have is my eye sight. After 45 or so I began using reading glasses, so I'm concerned I won't be able to read the GPS. Any of you deal with this situation?

Eyesight? yeah..at 52 I am 20/20 at distance thanks to surgery but for reading?? I need glasses to see computers, menu's etc. BUT I can see the screen on the 76cx just fine while riding to follow the route. This was my biggest worry but it's not a big deal. You are welcome to try mine as well.

If you buy the Ram ball mount kit ($12-15) for handlebars you can then try others GPS with a 10 second swap. Your going to want this part of the mount no matter which unit you buy. The Ram ball mount kit works with either stock or tapered bars. Then when you decide on a unit you can buy the rest of the mount needed.

Gents, as always thanks for all the GREAT input. You indeed possess a wealth of real life knowledge. Another concern I have is my eye sight. After 45 or so I began using reading glasses, so I'm concerned I won't be able to read the GPS. Any of you deal with this situation?

Ergo, the Montana with the bigger screen.

"Eyesight, Any of you deal with this situation?" blink.gif

Yeah, I remember that stuff. You might try a good set of Progressive Lenses. It is just money. But wait, then you couldn't afford the new GPS. shiftyeyes_anim.gifcoolio.gif

Well my 60CSx has crapped out on me again. I've had 2 broken antenna's (fixed under warranty) both my fault and now

the latest one is just dead. I can get it repaired by Garmin for $110.00 but I wonder if my money would be better spent

on a newer or different model. The Montana looks pretty nice but cost quite a bit. Any other good options?

CiD

I've been looking at the Montana, more real estate and seems to be very cool. Didn't Jim pick one up?

I've been looking at the Montana, more real estate and seems to be very cool. Didn't Jim pick one up?

Yeah, but it is still in the box. Haven't been riding much over the last few months due to some outside issues.

Even though I haven't used it, I played with one at REI before I bought, and as a 60CSX owner, there is no way I can recommend anything but the Montana going forward. It beats the 60 in almost every area, and has a ton more real estate, better in the sun, etc. It is the only GPS I can recommend at this time. I bought it for the GSA, but already have the rugged mount for the WRR. I can't see a reason to stay with the Garmin 6X or 7X series after this one.

Yeah, but it is still in the box. Haven't been riding much over the last few months due to some outside issues.

Even though I haven't used it, I played with one at REI before I bought, and as a 60CSX owner, there is no way I can recommend anything but the Montana going forward. It beats the 60 in almost every area, and has a ton more real estate, better in the sun, etc. It is the only GPS I can recommend at this time. I bought it for the GSA, but already have the rugged mount for the WRR. I can't see a reason to stay with the Garmin 6X or 7X series after this one.

How about price? The Montana looks to be almost 3x as expensive.

How about price? The Montana looks to be almost 3x as expensive.

Yes it is! About $450 at Amazon, but you can find it for about $400 at other places. And it costs about three times as much to live in San Diego vice Alabama/Mississippi. There is a reason why things are expensive. I usually find it to be worth it and that you get what you pay for.

does the 76cx have the micro sd card we use to issue routes at the beginning of a ride? I can't tell from the spec sheet.

thanks,

Wllliam H.

Yes it has a micro sd card slot, not sure what you mean about issuing routes though.

Just received my 76CSX, mounts and hard wire kit. I installed and updated the software in my PC and put an 8GB micro SD card inside as per Crawdaddy's recommendation. Do I need to download and install any other map products or am I good to go? Thanks!

CL300CAPT (aka Charlie)

This is an older topic, so I don't know if adding this will make any difference to your purchase. I had a 60csx, key word "had". Just had it go flying to god knows where in a 5 mile stretch of singletrack on side of a ravine. I didn't notice until we stopped, damn! The ram mount works fine, it was my dumb fault, during a headlight swap I decided to take out the rag I had stuffed in the brake line holder (brake line was smacking the Ram mount and dislodging the gps, lucky to be able to find it in the dirt the first 2 times it happened)which led to the 3rd and final dislodgement! Shoot.....looking at the Montana now. Thanks for the tread, I was able to answer my question of what some additional options are with a new or new to me unit. I like the 76, just doesn't make sense to go with the older technology. A little concerned about the touch screen though. I wear some pretty thick gloves.

This is an older topic, so I don't know if adding this will make any difference to your purchase. I had a 60csx, key word "had". Just had it go flying to god knows where in a 5 mile stretch of singletrack on side of a ravine. I didn't notice until we stopped, damn! The ram mount works fine, it was my dumb fault, during a headlight swap I decided to take out the rag I had stuffed in the brake line holder (brake line was smacking the Ram mount and dislodging the gps, lucky to be able to find it in the dirt the first 2 times it happened)which led to the 3rd and final dislodgement! Shoot.....looking at the Montana now. Thanks for the tread, I was able to answer my question of what some additional options are with a new or new to me unit. I like the 76, just doesn't make sense to go with the older technology. A little concerned about the touch screen though. I wear some pretty thick gloves.

Before you snap your GPS into its cradle, hook the lanyard around your handlebars (or something else) so when it pops off you don't loose it.