Sign in to follow this  
kvanderstel

Pine Valley north

Saturday two friends and I (DR650, BMW GS650 & KLR650) followed the Pine Creek road north out of Pine Valley. We eventually popped out on the Sunrise Hwy. We headed to Cuyamaca and took Engineer Rd back through Boulder Creek Rd and ended up back at Descanso. Not a bad loop, but I wasn't sure if there was better dirt somewhere? So I have some questions.

1) are there always that many bugs on Pine Creek?

2) is there alternate routes through the Pine Creek area? Is Deer Park open? I didn't get a chance to follow it.

3) is there any good riding north of Sunrise that would be good to take after exiting Pine Creek?

4) is there a dirt route from McCain to Pine Creek/Sunrise area?

It's summer time. lots of bugs out all over the back country.

2) is there alternate routes through the Pine Creek area? Is Deer Park open? I didn't get a chance to follow it.

Deer Park is usually open.

3) is there any good riding north of Sunrise that would be good to take after exiting Pine Creek?

Thing Valley road is nice over on the east side of Sunrise highway.

You can also ride the Oriflamme mnt area on the east side of Sunrise highway. If you have enough skill and the right bike, there is a trail that leads to the desert below, not far from the Butterfield campground. But this trail is not for the faint of heart or large bikes, and the accessibility changes year to year. Members of this forum had to be rescued from the trail a few years back. Otherwise, there is a scenic loop in the area.

No.

I rode Pine Creek to Sunrise recently, it was good for a scenic casual ride, if you want hardcore dirt look elsewhere, but it suited me just fine. Thing Valley Road is next on my agenda.

34rtzkl.jpg

I rode Pine Creek to Sunrise recently, it was good for a scenic casual ride, if you want hardcore dirt look elsewhere, but it suited me just fine. Thing Valley Road is next on my agenda.

34rtzkl.jpg

I didn't see this road... time to go back and explore some more..

This is a designated US Forest Rd, mostly blacktop but rough and crumbling in some places. Maybe your route split off from this???

BUGS!!!

I guided the Triumph 800 people over Pine Creek last June. The photographers were stopped in this spot, while I had the guys staging at the next rise. The bugs were relentless. Helmets stayed on and closed up the whole time. There's a largish dirt turnaround towards the top of the hill. We stopped there after the shoot and the bug situation was much easier to deal with.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) this is a bad bug year

2)Deer park rd is open all the way to sunrise hwy. Really fun road. Highly recommended.

3)Not much north. . Thing valley rd is very nice but it does come to a locked gate. The roads beyond the gate are la posta that goes to old 80 or fred canyon to the right which goes to kitchen creek.

4)No.

So Thing Valley doesn't open up through to Kitchen Creek?

It does but has a big ugly gate in the way

So Thing Valley doesn't open up through to Kitchen Creek?

It does but has a big ugly gate in the way

The gate is the most fun part of the road. :party: