IMPORTANT Note on Posting Photos on This Website

ALL PHOTOS that are NOT motorcycle related, posted ON THIS WEBSITE and in this Forum for General Photos must be hosted by another website....ie: Imageshack, Photobucket, Smugmug, etc.

Admin prefers that all photos posted here do not use up any webspace on the server used for SDAR.

Any photos posted here after June 16th, 2007, will be deleted if they are uploaded using SDAR webspace and are not hosted by another website.

Thanks for your cooperation.

UPDATE 6/20/19

Hello all, due to ever increasing costs of maintaining this site, and ever increasing hosting packages we've had to purchase due to the amount of GB needed to host this site, only Contributing/Supporting Members will be allowed to attach photos to their posts.. which means you download directly to the SDAR server in your post an attachment.

Non-supporting members need to use an outside photo hosting site like Smugmug, Photobucket, Flicker, etc.

From now on, if we see photos posted as attachments and you're not a supporting member, we will have to delete your photos.

Please abide by this new rule. 

When you post photos hosted by another site, it does not cost us GB of valuable storage space everytime someone clicks on your photo to view it.

If it is posted as an attachment, it uses up GB of storage space that we pay for on our hosting plan.

Also, photos posted as attachments by Supporting Members shall be of motorcycles, motorcycle trips and motorcycle related photos only.

Thanks for your continued support and understanding !

A REMINDER...............

Sorry, but some photos have been deleted that were non-moto related and were not hosted by an outside photo hosting site.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Admin prefers that all photos posted here do not use up any webspace on the server used for SDAR.

I think allowing attachments is very generous. Sometimes it is very convenient to use attachments, even if you have webspace elsewhere.

A lot of other sites limit the attachments to 150Kb or thereabouts. Some photos uploaded to SDAR are 10 times as big as they need to be. If someone wants to print a poster they can email the photographer for the original. If it's a snapshot it doesn't need to be wider than 800 pixels.

Thanks for your cooperation.

I've been around long enough that I should know how to embed/post photos rather than hanging them as small attachments that take up webspace.....but I confess that I don't know :huh::blink: ......Do I need to set up an account with Photobucket or some other hosting site? I usually hang my photos on Kodak Gallery since it's free but I'm not sure how to link Kodak Gallery into this site?!?! :fool: Can somebody help me out or direct me to the right thread since I'd imagine this question has been asked before.....thanks

I've been around long enough that I should know how to embed/post photos rather than hanging them as small attachments that take up webspace.....but I confess that I don't know :huh::) ......Do I need to set up an account with Photobucket or some other hosting site? I usually hang my photos on Kodak Gallery since it's free but I'm not sure how to link Kodak Gallery into this site?!?! :) Can somebody help me out or direct me to the right thread since I'd imagine this question has been asked before.....thanks

When you post on the forum, you go to the little image above that shows a "green tree" and when you move your mouse onto it, it says "insert image". Then a window will appear where you paste the URL of your image....preview your post to see if the image is there, then go ahead and post it.

You must paste the URL of the image, from your other photo hosting site. Some do not allow you to link to your photo, or there may be a trick to it, depending on the site. Webshots is one of the best photo hosting sites, and it's only about $30 a year for a premium membership.

Everyone new on the site, please read the photo posting guidelines as mentioned HERE.

Everyone on the site needs to follow the guidelines for Maximum Size of photos posted here.

Also, Non-Motorcycle related photos shall NOT be hosted (attached) to the SDAR server. I have seen people who have been on here for years, not following the guidelines lately.

Non-motorcycle related photos and oversized photos will be deleted by Admin and Moderators if they are posted as attachments using the SDAR server.

Thanks for your cooperation !

Bumping this to remind people, and so new people will read about posting photos.

Remember, non-moto related photos get deleted by ADMIN when they are posted as attachments.

Thanks for your cooperation !

I'm sure I'm guilty of this (and multiple other offenses). It took me 7.365 years just to learn how to post a pic on this site and now I guess I need to spend a good portion of what's left of my sorry life to learn a new trick. Might it just be better to delete post after they have run their course? Say a week or 2.

Covered in Stupidity

I for one love reading OLD ride reports... with pictures

realize; he is mainly talking about NON motorcycling pictures... although, once you get the system down, it is just as easy to save on a web site, and direct link IMG to the pictures... they show up here, but don't take up SDAR space

I'm sure I'm guilty of this (and multiple other offenses). Might it just be better to delete post after they have run their course? Say a week or 2.

Covered in Stupidity

Did you read my post and the photo posting guidelines ??

I haven't seen you post any non-moto photos as attachments lately.

I for one love reading OLD ride reports... with pictures

realize; he is mainly talking about NON motorcycling pictures... although, once you get the system down, it is just as easy to save on a web site, and direct link IMG to the pictures... they show up here, but don't take up SDAR space

Well I spent a little time and went to Photobucket. Had to have them resend my login name and password ( can't remember what I had for breakfast). Then downloaded my Blue Angels picture and posted the link on my post and deleted the picture. Only spent about 1/2 an hour of my retirement on this (I think I'll go take a nap now).

Covered in New Knowledge (that I'll forget by tonight)

I'm guilty guess that is why my dog photos were removed. Guess I gotta learn photobucket or something, which is cool, more user names and passwords.

Photobucket is pretty awesome....yes, one extra step but pretty user friendly, even if your not IT savvy....

1. download photos to your computer...

2. open your photobucket account...UPLOAD the photos to an album there...

3. Then you can simply "copy" the link at the bottom of each photo and "paste" each link into your post....pretty easy...

AND think of it this way....when your computer craps out....you will have access to your photos and not loose them..... :D

Hello all, due to ever increasing costs of maintaining this site, and ever increasing hosting packages we've had to purchase due to the amount of GB needed to host this site, only Contributing/Supporting Members will be allowed to attach photos to their posts.. which means you download directly to the SDAR server in your post an attachment.

Non-supporting members need to use an outside photo hosting site like Smugmug, Photobucket, Flicker, etc.

From now on, if we see photos posted as attachments and you're not a supporting member, we will have to delete your photos.

Please abide by this new rule. 

When you post photos hosted by another site, it does not cost us GB of valuable storage space everytime someone clicks on your photo to view it.

If it is posted as an attachment, it uses up GB of storage space that we pay for on our hosting plan.

Also, photos posted as attachments by Supporting Members shall be of motorcycles, motorcycle trips and motorcycle related photos only.

Thanks for your continued support and understanding !

Testing testing testing... to see if I can attach an URL from my iCloud account full of 15,000 pics.

.... nope.

Edited by Zubb

Hey Kelly.    I'm testing this feature and it works for me (at least as I understand it).       The first picture was uploaded and "attached".     The 2nd picture is from a link (hosted from ADVrider).

Not sure if I'm a "contributing" member....but I did recently donate some $$ to the site so not sure how that works

tecate3.thumb.jpg.aacdb5cfeb7102eae610adcdf1f33df1.jpg

img_20220807_111148318-jpg.4028485

Edited by Bub_Hannah

I am part of the approximately 50% of humanity that has and uses iPhone / Apple systems.  I do not use Google, Photobucket or Amazon for photo storage.  All my pics and vids go straight to my iCloud account for storage.  So I was hoping that I could post a link here to pics on my iCloud.  

I used to successfully use Flickr and could post links from there successfully.  But Flickr is charging quite a proud fee now so I have left them.

I guess until there becomes a way to post links to iCloud, I am done posting pics here.  And that bums me out.

Hopefully . . . . . . I'm just doing it wrong.  And someone can guide me to an effective method.

Any iCloud storage users out there????

3 hours ago, Zubb said:

Any iCloud storage users out there????

Yes, and I believe your experience is accurate- I don't know of a way to post iCloud content using a link. The content needs to be stored somewhere for retrieval- either on the user's end via a FTP space (like a website) or a photo handling service like PhotoBucket, Flickr. I'm not sure if Dropbox will suffice, if you see an image below, it's working.

Bottom line, someone has to pay to store the image...

Nope. Direct URL to Dropbox does not work.

Hmm... Suppose there was a suggested annual donation that increased the annual storage allotment for each user? It would probably be less than a Flickr subscription, could include a margin to support SDAR- everybody wins!

Except for those who remain steadfastly offended that they can't use memes.🤣

• Haha 1

I’ve got a meme for you and you won’t mistake it for passive aggressive 😂 It’s 1/2 of a peace sign. I really don’t give a hoot about memes, I just don’t care for arbitrary rules.

Do you want to ride Big Bear if we get a little cooling up there?

Covered in Rules

Edited by Covered in Dust

2 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

Yes.

Dying for a ride.

2 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

We could do the up/back ride as outlined elsewhere, stay over (no camping).

20 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

We could do the up/back ride as outlined elsewhere, stay over (no camping).

Let’s get Ted to host us overnight. He makes a mean Manhattan 

To. Review:

Home Screen - Top right is my Screen Name

Drop Down - My Attachments

Window opens with my total storage usage and Total Allocated 

Question - My assumption is this limit is for all time and never resets?

Also - A member needs to be a supporting person to attach a non- hosted photo.

I think to have my mind around this issue.