Sign in to follow this  
AATA

Garmin 60 - Couple questions

Hopefully one of the GPS guru's can help me out? I loaded a track in my Garmin 60 for a Big Bear ride this past weekend and it was the first time the arrow on the screen didn't show my current position and move when I moved? Previously if I moved around on the map screen with the arrows and then hit quit, it would take me back to the arrow/my current position. This time when I hit quit, it would just go back to the track page. It's like it wasn't tracking my position?

The guy I was with knew how to change it by checking trac back and then drawing a line to the end of the track and then pressing enter. It worked, but I feel like there has to be another way/easier way. I've loaded lots of maps in the past and never had to do this, so did a setting get changed that I'm not aware of?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hard to tell exactly. I am no gps guru. Were you physically on the track or off that track?

For me (on my 76cx) at least, when I first "map" the "track" it seems that I get a bird's eye view of the entire "track" but no tracking. This initial screen doesn't seem to be tracking (ie if I'm at the start of the trail it doesn't show my arrow to be at the start of the trail). I have to cycle through the "page" button until I find the right screen which does allow tracking (I have to zoom in, typically 300-800ft depending on speed/conditions).

I've always done that cycle through "page" thing until I found the screen I was looking for.

The TracBack off road just seems (to me) to draw a straight line to a selected point on the track.

I selected the track and then hit "map". It goes to the map screen and shows the track I selected, but like you mentioned, if I'm at the start or near it, it doesn't show where I am. Usually it has the arrow in the middle of the screen and shows where I am. I cycled through the screens, but it didn't change anything.

I just never had to change anything in the 10+ times I've loaded a track, so not sure what changed?

Thanks for the help!

I selected the track and then hit "map". It goes to the map screen and shows the track I selected, but like you mentioned, if I'm at the start or near it, it doesn't show where I am. Usually it has the arrow in the middle of the screen and shows where I am. I cycled through the screens, but it didn't change anything.

I just never had to change anything in the 10+ times I've loaded a track, so not sure what changed?

Thanks for the help!

I have to cycle through the screens and zoom in a ton. Its the only way I can see my little tracking arrow on the larger track. What zoom level were you at? I like to go to 300-800 feet. I also haven't run the base topo maps or anything because it makes it very hard (for me) to read the "track" I want to be following. I would imagine its especially difficult to see tracks with all the topo lines in big bear.

I had it zoomed in pretty far, but I forget the distance. I usually zoom in all the way or maybe one out. I agree with the topo, so I don't use it either. I just show main roads with little detail. Thanks!

I had that same issue at the Dash. 2 of the our wonderful gurus looked at it and had no idea why it was acting up. They fiddled with this setting and changed that setting, turned it off, pulled batteries, sacrificed a virgin, prayed to the Elder Gods, .. no luck.

Next day it worked just like it was supposed to.

I always select my desired Track, then go to the end of that Track and hit the Trackback button, then the arrow constantly follows the track I have selected.

That is how I have always been using a GPS.

I always select my desired Track, then go to the end of that Track and hit the Trackback button, then the arrow constantly follows the track I have selected.

That is how I have always been using a GPS.

This is what the guy I was with did and it worked. I just never had to do this before, but now I know in case it acts up again.

On organized rides like the dash, my GPS usually shows all the tracks if I checked "show on Map". This last time I could only get one at a time to show up? Maybe it was the file format, because I usually use GPX and this time I think it was GDB. Not sure if that matters?

Thanks for the help!

No need to Select a Track to have it active on the screen. As you said, check "show on map" for tracks you want visible. This is in the Track folder on the Main Menu.

The Map page is where you see the BLACK arrow showing your position, which moves with you. Back in the Track folder, looking at a track you see a WHITE arrow used for editing, I believe.

Say you have three tracks all checked "Show on Map", each ideally with a different color selected. Page to Map with the GPS function operating, i.e. not "use with GPS off"; all three tracks show up and the black arrow tracks your current position.

Isn't Track Back a way to find your way home after you walked outbound on a trail. I know Chris and others us it in some other way. ????

Garmins are difficult to master, not intuitive. Repetition is the only solution.

ph34r.gif

PS, Has anyone been using the Montana touch screen units. The software is much more responsive and works with gloves. At least in the store.

That's an odd issue for sure. While in pan/scan mode you should see a white cursor, and hitting 'quit' takes you out of that mode and back to the black triangle of your location.

I rarely use trackback, but it's handy when you want to see roughly how long it will take you to get somewhere and how far. Usually turned on the last 10 miles of the day :)

Thanks for all the help. I never had this issue before, so I will try it again and see what happens. Maybe it was just a glitch. Thanks again.