NOMAD5326

Using Garmin w/Mac....

Hey mugs. Finally switched to Mac's this year and now that I'm home and riding have run into problems using my Rino 130 w/my Mac (no serial). So, I know I can get a USB/Serial adapter, but now seeing MapSource and others don't really work w/Mac. So for you GPS/Computer wizards out there (you know who you are..) What are my best options? Also, looking to upgrade to either a Rino 530Hcx or a GPSMAP 60csx, thoughts? I still have a PC, but would rather not have to dig out the ole girl! ;-)

Hey mugs. Finally switched to Mac's this year and now that I'm home and riding have run into problems using my Rino 130 w/my Mac (no serial). So, I know I can get a USB/Serial adapter, but now seeing MapSource and others don't really work w/Mac. So for you GPS/Computer wizards out there (you know who you are..) What are my best options? Also, looking to upgrade to either a Rino 530Hcx or a GPSMAP 60csx, thoughts? I still have a PC, but would rather not have to dig out the ole girl! ;-)

I downloaded "basecamp for mac" for free somewhere online and use it with my 76cx and macintosh. I do my track editing on dualsportmaps.com, save the .gpx to my computer, open the .gpx with basecamp, filter-->limit tracks to 500 points and then transfer to my device.

I downloaded "basecamp for mac" for free somewhere online and use it with my 76cx and macintosh. I do my track editing on dualsportmaps.com, save the .gpx to my computer, open the .gpx with basecamp, filter-->limit tracks to 500 points and then transfer to my device.

For the win!

Thx guys! Just downloaded base camp and am just now using DSMaps. Will play w/it. Not to get my Rino 130 and Mac taking somehow

Downloaded tracks to several Rinos at LAB2V and Desert Dash- it will do it.

Thx guys! Just downloaded base camp and am just now using DSMaps. Will play w/it. Not to get my Rino 130 and Mac taking somehow

I don't understand, what's the problem you're having getting your Rino to work with basecamp? Garmin says the Rino is compatible...

Cal,

My mac doesn't use map source and wasn't recognizing my 130 so couldn't figure out how to upload/download tracks. Im playing w/basecamp now (today) but still can't get the computer to recognize the 130 w/serial to usb adapter. I may need to find a new driver .. this was much easier on a PC....angry.gif I may just give up and get a USB compatible Rino or GPSMAP! heh.gif

If i'm not mistaken, a serial to usb adapter is not just plug-n-play, meaning you have to set up the drivers manually .I'll see if i can find something that might help you configure it.

To add to this...

In order to Limit Track to 500 points you must click "Basecamp" at the top of the window, select Preferences, click Transfer, check Simplify Tracks by Removing Intermediate Points and then type 500 into Maximum Number of Points per Track to Send to Your GPS Device.

(I actually forgot the steps but I have this thread marked so I am updating it so I can always go back to it)

The 76cx can only handle 500 points per track. Longer tracks which have over 500 points will be cut short. By limiting a track to 500 points you possibly lose some intermediate points. The 76cx can only handle so much specificity being at $180 GPS device. If you were doing something like the TransAmerica Trail, you would have many different tracks and possibly different memory cards etc.

To add to this...

In order to Limit Track to 500 points you must click "Basecamp" at the top of the window, select Preferences, click Transfer, check Simplify Tracks by Removing Intermediate Points and then type 500 into Maximum Number of Points per Track to Send to Your GPS Device.

(I actually forgot the steps but I have this thread marked so I am updating it so I can always go back to it)

The 76cx can only handle 500 points per track. Longer tracks which have over 500 points will be cut short. By limiting a track to 500 points you possibly lose some intermediate points. The 76cx can only handle so much specificity being at $180 GPS device. If you were doing something like the TransAmerica Trail, you would have many different tracks and possibly different memory cards etc.

Another reason I'm moving to the Garmin Montana. It can hold 200 tracks and 10,000 points. You are not limited to the 500 points/track, which is very nice. Especially if you've downloaded tracks that someone else created via track log.