sandiegoland

Shoring up Truck Suspension

Typing on phone on a plane sucks.

Then again nothing better to do on international flights.

Should have been 20k towing not 20k900

Not to mention other typos

ProX is a "special" nissan titan.

It has the frame of an american LWB diesel (all made by nissan) along with a few key upgrades to the engine and suspension over the typical titans an an almost 20k900 lbs towing capacity.

That said I currently do not have the factory Turbos in it to save a ton of fuel and to pass CA emmisions.

The last year they were special was 2008, and they are rare. The new Pro-4x is a basic titan with 1.5" more suspension , big tow, 3" frame and ruggedized undercarriage.

All ProX trucks are full crew cab with a 7'2" bed and come with all the Nismo goodies.

My truck (toned down) was the support vehicle for the desert dash 2this years ago... It will be this year also (with me behind the wheel), but it will be back at full capacity by then, no more CA inspections... :)

Cool FULL size truck! Different truck, different creature.

To put small truck into perspective, I once took my Tacoma down Pinyon Mountain Road past the squeeze without a scratch.

IMO the 1998-2004 Tacoma is one of the best small 4x4 trucks ever produced. Nimble and dependable. Like a motorcycle, you buy a truck for an intended use and sort it out...make it how you need it. If you use it to commute or haul the dog around not much has to be done. If you want it for intermediate off roading, simple upgrades go a long way. Tundra spring in front and new leaf packs in back really make this truck a champ.

Sadly my GF totaled my Tacoma last year. RIP :dead:

Now I have a Tundra...NOT THE SAME! :(

After examining the photos I took of my truck with the bike loaded from last time (sitting basically level), I'm going to try out the Timbrens. No drilling the frame, no airlines to route. I should be able to pop them in pretty quick.

Not what I would do for a new truck, but it should put my mind at ease at least for I-15 up and back. Just a little spring support over the big dips.

Thanks for the tips. I do like the airbags too, but nothing beats getting the whole job done right if it's for serious off-road or trailering.

Well... the Timbrens were easy to install... just bolt in replacements... but they didn't line up over the axle correctly.

Back in the box they go... too bad, the would've done the trick for the trip.

Pondering my options again.

UPDATE: Taking it over to Preston T&W in La Mesa this week to add a "Super Spring" leaf and replace the shocks. This will basically kick in an extra leaf when the bed is under load.

Well... the Timbrens were easy to install... just bolt in replacements... but they didn't line up over the axle correctly.

Back in the box they go... too bad, the would've done the trick for the trip.

Pondering my options again.

UPDATE: Taking it over to Preston T&W in La Mesa this week to add a "Super Spring" leaf and replace the shocks. This will basically kick in an extra leaf when the bed is under load.

Any updates? Did you return the Timbrens? What shocks did you go with? How're the AALs working?

Any updates? Did you return the Timbrens? What shocks did you go with? How're the AALs working?

Just got back...

New shocks all around and a set of Super Springs did the trick. I could feel the extra weight on the lil' motor (duh), but the mods really did the trick on the handling (and unavoidable "dips"), allowing us to get off the interstate a few times and enjoy the secondary highways without concern.

Another device that saved the trip was my Scan Gauge. We started to have a marginal TPS failure and it saved a lot of stress knowing what was popping that Check Engine indicator on occasionally.

post-101-010297500 1341584400_thumb.jpg

Looks good! I've been keeping an eye on this thread specifically because I have a Tacoma as well... How expensive are the super springs?

And on a small side note, when you are tying down your bike, the general rule is to avoid tying things down backwards, or pulling off your truck; ie strapping your bars backward to your rear tie down points...

Looks good! I've been keeping an eye on this thread specifically because I have a Tacoma as well... How expensive are the super springs?

And on a small side note, when you are tying down your bike, the general rule is to avoid tying things down backwards, or pulling off your truck; ie strapping your bars backward to your rear tie down points...

Yea, those tie-downs from the bars to the rear are just there to keep the bars from twisting from side to side, not load bearing.

Glad it all worked out. Is THIS what you're talking about with the Scan Gauge? More info here or another thread if needed...?

Glad it all worked out. Is THIS what you're talking about with the Scan Gauge? More info here or another thread if needed...?

That's the brand. Very useful on a road trip... but I also have fun with it around town. My little league truck has no tach, voltmeter, etc. This has that, plus trip meters, fuel consumption, miles to empty and so on. Plus the main purpose... to read out check engine codes.

I use the scanguage to keep track of trans temps on the sportsmobile, also read and clear codes. Useful tool.

Not to steal SanDiegoLands thunder but I figured I'd post here for any other Tacoma owners.

I picked up a set of stock Tacoma leaf springs off a prerunner with 60k miles for $60. They were never used for hauling or off-roading. Its a gamble running them (they could be saggy too) but they are much cheaper than an aftermarket set. I'll probably install the "new" springs and decide whether or not I will get a Wheeler's Off Road $80 AAL depending on the height of the truck's rear.

After comparing prices of the Timbrens, SuperSprings and Hellwigs I think I'm going to get TrophyHunter's Firestone RideRite kit for the Tacoma for a permanent solution.

In other news, I swapped out the shifter bushing and seat from my 5 speed and installed Marlin Crawlers HD set. Seems to have really helped tighten up the shifting. I replaced the squeaky clutch by removing the tension spring under the pedal and installing a linear spring #70 from True Value hardware. Some guys run the pedal without the linear return spring with success. Either way... no more damn squeak for me! I also am nearly done swapping in Scion XB seats into the Tacoma. What a PITA its been because I had bench seats.

post-14322-023504100 1343691327_thumb.jp

post-14322-067880100 1343691324_thumb.jp

Seats are looking good. Thought you needed some welding done to make them work?