CL300CAPT

Hi, my name is Charlie.

My name is Charlie Wilmot. I'm a corporate pilot and fly a private jet based at Palomar Airport. I also flight instruct if you've ever thought about learning to fly. I live in San Marcos with my wige and 3 kids. I rode bikes for many years, street, dirt and enduro's (as we called them back then) on the not very exciting, flat terrain of S. Florida. I've been out of riding for several years and just bought a 2012 DR-Z400. I've only lived in CA a short while, so I'm not really sure where we're allowed to ride and not ride off road. With so many laws and regulations in CA, I'm a little nervous about venturing out off road. I look forward to riding with you guys and picking your brains on gear, accessories for my bike and great places to ride. Thanks in advance for your input, insight and advice. Please let me know about any upcoming rides! Thanks!

Charlie

My name is Charlie Wilmot. I'm a corporate pilot and fly a private jet based at Palomar Airport. I also flight instruct if you've ever thought about learning to fly. I live in San Marcos with my wige and 3 kids. I rode bikes for many years, street, dirt and enduro's (as we called them back then) on the not very exciting, flat terrain of S. Florida. I've been out of riding for several years and just bought a 2012 DR-Z400. I've only lived in CA a short while, so I'm not really sure where we're allowed to ride and not ride off road. With so many laws and regulations in CA, I'm a little nervous about venturing out off road. I look forward to riding with you guys and picking your brains on gear, accessories for my bike and great places to ride. Thanks in advance for your input, insight and advice. Please let me know about any upcoming rides! Thanks!

Charlie

Welcome to SDAR and hope to meet you on the trail. If you are free this weekend we have on slot left for a ride and camp trip from Ramona to Idyllwild and back. Sign up is at www.socaldualsport.com. Threads are here and over at advrider.com http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764981&page=28.

Another pilot

Another DRZ

Another middle-aged guy with a wife and kids

Welcome to the club

Another pilot

Another DRZ

Welcome to the club

Well, I suppose one out of three disqualifies me?

Welcome, Charlie, and don't ride like BikeSlut.

Or like Strega either.

Check out Informal Local Rides

Sand is your Friend. See you at the trailhead

Welcome to the forum. Lots of DRZ riders in this club. Hope to see you on a ride sometime. B)

Great all around bike choice and plenty of representation here. I've ridden more places I never would've seen in the 4 years riding with this group. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

As mentioned, watch the ride threads or just post up "I'd like to ride but don't know where - available Sat/Sun" as folks will most likely show you around. If you have gear needs, http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6737-good-karma-free-gear-for-only-those-that-need-it/page__p__67105__hl__karma__fromsearch__1#entry67105 Or just post up what you're looking for.

We have some local shops who friendly to SDAR so maybe PM KTMrad for "Member" access.

Welcome!

Welcome Charlie, I used to have a DRZ and probably remember most of the worthwhile upgrades. While you may not want to be modifying a new bike, there will come a time when you are going to want it to be better.

This site will be your best resource for local riding, ThumperTalk will be your best mechanical resource for reading material. There are many former and current DRZ owners on this site, that can give you info about your bike.

For upgrades to the bike, I would start with some quality brush (hand)guards and skid plate, before going anywhere technical. For you, good helmet, good boots. Most importantly don't ride over your head, ride your own pace (they have all been the new guy), so you don't get injured.

Stop by the shop, we can talk.

Ken Boyd

Paramount Gasket

1234 Keystone Way

Vista, CA 92081

760-727-4452

Another pilot

Another DRZ

Welcome to the club

Well, I suppose one out of three disqualifies me?

Or like Strega either.

no- you're in the club

and nobody has to be any of those things to be in the club

just noting that we have a number of pilots, a number of DRZ riders and a number of middle-aged guys with wife and kids

so lose the atitude Mr.

*edit* just saw Christi's note about "nice people"... oops

Hey Charlie,

Do you know Richard Sears?? Ask him about the $300.00 burger...Fly out to Catalina. LOL

Hey Schwinn,

know anyone who wants to buy a OFNA Nitro 4x4 truck? Starter box and all..

pm me if interested...

Welcome Charlie, I used to have a DRZ and probably remember most of the worthwhile upgrades. While you may not want to be modifying a new bike, there will come a time when you are going to want it to be better.

This site will be your best resource for local riding, ThumperTalk will be your best mechanical resource for reading material. There are many former and current DRZ owners on this site, that can give you info about your bike.

For upgrades to the bike, I would start with some quality brush (hand)guards and skid plate, before going anywhere technical. For you, good helmet, good boots. Most importantly don't ride over your head, ride your own pace (they have all been the new guy), so you don't get injured.

Stop by the shop, we can talk.

Ken Boyd

Paramount Gasket

1234 Keystone Way

Vista, CA 92081

760-727-4452

I

Welcome Charlie. Tons of good people here and way more knowledgable than me. I would only add to ditch the death wings when you can. Lots of opinions on tires here but I was happy with the 606s On my old Drz

I have a DRZ, too. One important first mod is the aluminum side covers:

post-14080-092340300 1336083798_thumb.jp

Another that I like is the next one. I didn't want to cut the wires to the kickstand safety switch, so I made up a workaround. The arrow #1 points to the switch near the kickstand, and #2 points to the mod. I bent a thin piece of bracket metal, drilled the holes to match the mounting bolts, and painted it black. Now, the engine is not killed if the kickstand is down and you're in gear. (Just remember that when you stop!)

post-14080-048253200 1336083784_thumb.pn

Or like Strega either.

Yeah, don't ride like Strega...you might lose everyone in the dust cloud behind you. :P

Oh, and watch out for Pterodactyl's...those lil buggers are NASTY.

arcane references just tend to confuse new folks

"we'd rather wait for you, than wait for a helicopter"

you might lose everyone in the dust cloud behind you. :P

Well true- being in the dust cloud behind you is a safer option than, say...on a side trail in front of you ph34r.gif

Welcome. First off, Go see Joliet, he always serves pilots cold beer when they stop in for a visit. Ask me how I know :coolio:

Second, Disregard the banterings of the three stooges that have hijacked another thread for their amusement. You can pick the three.

Third, have fun and go for a ride. Look for a newbie exploration ride happening near you or like Trophyhunter said, make one up.

Disregard the banterings of the three stooges that have hijacked another thread for their amusement. You can pick the three.

Hey Bob, I think he means you and Strega.

Charlie

Charlie,

Welcome. Sounds familiar! I'm a pilot (currently inactive, but building a Van's RV-9A airplane in my garage to get back into the air), have 3 older kids (2 in college, 1 just getting out of HS), ride a DRZ-400S. I don't ride as much as I'd like, but if you venture up the hill to Ramona, let me know and I'll show you some great dirt roads around here.

Bruce

Hi Charlie, welcome to the club!!.....great time of year, lots of rides happening...watch for informal rides posts.....cool job, just like pastapilot, I think?

....many of us ride local or mountains often....any time I go, new, old or otherwise riders always welcome.......you're in a great place here.....very nice people, lots of knowledge....